Dry Rock or Live Rock for new 40 Gallon Tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much live rock should I get for the 40 gallon? I know the recommended amount is 1-2 lbs per gallon. But what about 0.5 lbs per gallon? I can also place some of the live rock in my sump

however much you want for your scape. The lbs per gallon rule died years ago when minimalistic scapes became popular over rock walls.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
however much you want for your scape. The lbs per gallon rule died years ago when minimalistic scapes became popular over rock walls.
Bruh, I am so glad I asked before I went back to my LFS. I will probably go with about 15 - 20 lbs because I do want a more minimalist scape. I love the idea of swimming space and substrate space for fish and inverts

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go minimalist. It may be more aesthetically pleasing, but fish need caves, and lots of them. Open water is good for things like tangs and angels, but any fish that fits in a 40 gallon would rather have a big pile of rock for the caves and crevices.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go minimalist. It may be more aesthetically pleasing, but fish need caves, and lots of them. Open water is good for things like tangs and angels, but any fish that fits in a 40 gallon would rather have a big pile of rock for the caves and crevices.
The fish I already have are two juvenile clowns and one neon goby. I plan on adding a jawfish and some type of wrasse

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am currently setting up a 40 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. I have all my equipment ready to go. I just bought 60 lbs Caribsea Bahama sand and tomorrow I am going to go out and select rock for my aquascape. I know that my tank is gonna have to cycle and I was planning on using 4 oz of Fritz Turbostart 900 to speed up the process. I really don't want to spend a ton of money just on live rock so if I choose to go with dry rock then would there be a huge difference in the cycling process of the tank even if I am using all 4oz of Turbostart 900? I also feel like it would be easier to aquascape with dry rock instead of live rock because I won't have to worry about leaving the rock outside of water.

Please share your opinions and thoughts!
live

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns, chromis, cardinals, a bottom dweller like a goby or jawfish… a sand wrasse like a yellow coris… they will all do fine in a more minimalist scape. You can have small rock dwellers like a tail spot or gramma just keep in mind to have less of them since you have less rock.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aslong as you do not do 100% dry rock you will be fine. Dry rock needs to be seeded otherwise you'll just rely on plugs and coral base to be the seeding, which will take years.

add quality LR to the mix and you can have LPS softies in 3 months and maybe SPS in 6-12 months.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh, I am so glad I asked before I went back to my LFS. I will probably go with about 15 - 20 lbs because I do want a more minimalist scape. I love the idea of swimming space and substrate space for fish and inverts
20 lbs would be a decent start. Look up KP Aquatics on the web. Their BASE live rock is great for starting tanks. It doesn't have a bunch of life on it that's gonna die off in a new tank, but it will seed the organisms you need. You will probably not see a cycle if you are careful when adding the BASE rock. Later, after the tank is better established, you can add a few more pounds the PREMIUM stuff to increase diversity.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish should be fine in a minimalist aquascape. Just build a good ledge for the goby to reside under, and you should be OK. I personally like cave dwelling fish, so I build many holes in the rock. Good luck with your tank!

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like the OP got the answer to his question. I am really amazed by this thread. Collectively, 100% of you have agreed on the exact solution. How we get there is a different story but the end is the same. I just wanted to chime in and say thank you to all of you who participated in the thread. Valuable insight for sure for a new hobbyist.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome responses so far!

You could consider doing one of the overnight LR packages from KPAquatics (10 or 15lb) and then doing the rest dry rock. Then you could get the maturity and biome from the LR but still aquascape how you like with the dry. It will all look purple and amazing within a few months.

I started 2 tanks in the last few years, one all dry rock and one all live rock. The dry rock tank struggled mightily (dinos, cyano, an inability to keep SPS and many other corals). Later when I started the 2nd tank using live rock, I ordered a little extra and added a couple grapefruit sized pieces to my 90g that was started with dry rock and struggling. That made a huge difference and that tank finally turned the corner and supports SPS and anything else now.

I think this point has been made a few times in the thread already, but the "live rock" that's just dry rock soaking in bins should be avoided.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the OP got the answer to his question. I am really amazed by this thread. Collectively, 100% of you have agreed on the exact solution. How we get there is a different story but the end is the same. I just wanted to chime in and say thank you to all of you who participated in the thread. Valuable insight for sure for a new hobbyist.
Couldn't ask for a better forum community!

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow is the day! I called my LFS and their going rate for quality live rock is $10 per lb, but since I also bought my new display from them I was able to get a rate of $9 per lb. Ideally, I would love to transfer my livestock over within a two week period. If I use all live rock, live sand, and Fritz Turbostart 900 then is this a practical goal? I just don't want to have my old tank and new tanking running at the same time for months. I plan on using my current AI Prime light and Nero 3 powerhead in my new tank instead of having to get a new light and powerhead

View Badges
I say live rock but a big but ,pest, critters ,worms,bad stuff come from them if you can deal with that go for it natural habitat,clean tank go with dry rock but eventully will get them will critters pest worms anyway if you don't quentine right. Have fun I always wanted a all live rock tank with sponges looks more like the ocean and more colorful . Instant Cycle also.

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow is the day! I called my LFS and their going rate for quality live rock is $10 per lb, but since I also bought my new display from them I was able to get a rate of $9 per lb. Ideally, I would love to transfer my livestock over within a two week period. If I use all live rock, live sand, and Fritz Turbostart 900 then is this a practical goal? I just don't want to have my old tank and new tanking running at the same time for months. I plan on using my current AI Prime light and Nero 3 powerhead in my new tank instead of having to get a new light and powerhead
What exactly is their live rock???

Cycling the tank is dependent on the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels. Don’t rush this and please verify what they call “live rock”.

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS liverock is sketchy at best. I’d take the advice of folks here and order some qua rock from TBS or KP Aquatics. The cycle will take as long as it takes, this is not cookie cutter.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is their live rock???

Cycling the tank is dependent on the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels. Don’t rush this and please verify what they call “live rock”.
Rock has sponges, feather dusters, bristleworms, and coralline algae. This is going to be my fourth time getting live rock from them and every time I typically see most, if not all, of these organisms

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the rock retrieved from a hobbyist tank with super high nutrients and problematic algaes/pests? I’d skip it and go with rock from the clean. Take your time and trust me on this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back