Dry rock Question

Poseidon's snail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I would like to add more rock to our tank for our aquascape to be slightly higher for sps.Can I add a couple of pieces of dry marco boulder rock to our tank that is fully live rock setup?Will this cause ammo spikes?
thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock had not been used before then it should be fine. Just make sure to rinse it off.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frag on dry marco rock with just an ro rinse before. Just added 5lbs that had been soaking in ro for a few days to get the dust off.

If it's not used, it will not spike anything.

I usually get a light coat of green on it until the coralline takes over.

OP
OP
Poseidon's snail

Poseidon's snail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda cautious about adding the rock -is it worth just cycling it in a bucket out of the tank?
I am just sorta scared that the cyano I am currently battling will use it as an excellent foothold?
Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda cautious about adding the rock -is it worth just cycling it in a bucket out of the tank?
I am just sorta scared that the cyano I am currently battling will use it as an excellent foothold?
Thanks

If it is previously used then yes you need to cure it before the rocks goes in the tank. If it has not been used then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are having cyano problems, consider lowering your phosphate (if you have ultra low nitrate then this would be aiding cyano), removing as much as possible manually, then dosing chemi clean.

Back