Dry Rock Question

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my dry rock from Addictive Reefkeeping, I just wanted to know if I had to do anything special to it before I put it in the tank? Or can I just rinse it with tap water, let it dry outside and start to setup the tank so I can get the cycling going? I'm ready to get this started already been waiting for the rock for almost a month...

This is the rock I bought:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my dry rock from Addictive Reefkeeping, I just wanted to know if I had to do anything special to it before I put it in the tank? Or can I just rinse it with tap water, let it dry outside and start to setup the tank so I can get the cycling going? I'm ready to get this started already been waiting for the rock for almost a month...

This is the rock I bought:
Yea i rinsed my marco off with the hose then soaked in DI water overnight before drying back out in my garage to start mortaring them together. After mortar cured, threw them in warm salt water to start the cycle.
Been curing for over 9 months in a brute can with no light before going in tank.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i rinsed my marco off with the hose then soaked in DI water overnight before drying back out in my garage to start mortaring them together. After mortar cured, threw them in warm salt water to start the cycle.
Been curing for over 9 months in a brute can with no light before going in tank.
What really? I have to put them in a brute trash can for over 9 months? :eek: I can't just rinse them and start the cycle in the tank? The tank is completely empty and will be doing a fishless cycle......

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really? I have to put them in a brute trash can for over 9 months? :eek: I can't just rinse them and start the cycle in the tank? The tank is completely empty and will be doing a fishless cycle......
U can ya....your tank will take much longer to mature with dry rock vs liverock.
Liverock is an instant tank establisher.

Dry rock will take years to achieve the same level of biodiversity.

My liverock has been live for 10+ years. Just being in my custody. It was an established tank break down from a long time reefer so likely 20+ years live.
Theres about 15 types of sponges, countless other orgsnisms.
Weeded out most of the bad so far. Still working on the vermatids and majanos

20210130_211458.jpg

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I rinsed my dry rock , put it in my tank, put sand in and filled with salt water. Then cycled. No ill effects.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I generally rinse my dry rock and add liquid bacteria. Using a brute garbage can or large tub, submerge the entire rock in saltwater with a 1.021 - 1.025 gravity. Heat water to 80 degrees Fahrenheit to expedite the process. Keep the curing container away from direct lighting and completely change the water at least once a week. When the water chemistry tests zero for nitrite and ammonia, it’s ready to go in your tank.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally rinse my dry rock and add liquid bacteria. Using a brute garbage can or large tub, submerge the entire rock in saltwater with a 1.021 - 1.025 gravity. Heat water to 80 degrees Fahrenheit to expedite the process. Keep the curing container away from direct lighting and completely change the water at least once a week. When the water chemistry tests zero for nitrite and ammonia, it’s ready to go in your tank.
What is the benefits of doing it this way as opposed just putting it in the tank and letting it cycle there? There won't be any lights on my tank till is cycled.....

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can ya....your tank will take much longer to mature with dry rock vs liverock.

My liverock has been live for 10+ years. Just being in my custody. It was an established tank break down from a long time reefer so likely 20+ years live.

20210130_211458.jpg
Wow that's crazy cool....but 10 years wow!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is the benefits of doing it this way as opposed just putting it in the tank and letting it cycle there? There won't be any lights on my tank till is cycled.....
You know the advantages of live rock. This will seed it to a point where pores are opened up sndcc by adding liquid bacteria will pre-seed it and allow cultures to become established as tank matures

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the advantages of live rock. This will seed it to a point where pores are opened up sndcc by adding liquid bacteria will pre-seed it and allow cultures to become established as tank matures
I understand that but what is the difference between putting it in a bucket as opposed to putting it in the tank? I dont understand that part lol

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you've been waiting for 9 months to start your tank?!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand that but what is the difference between putting it in a bucket as opposed to putting it in the tank? I dont understand that part lol
You don’t know what’s in those pores and rather than quick rinse , you are providing flow through holes and cavities flushing rock out and getting salt through the pores of the rock

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210130_211458.jpg
How do you weed out the bad without weeding out the good? do you just manually pull them out by hand?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood this part. if you add dry rock and there's some die off, wouldn't that just add ammonia and help jumpstart the cycle?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never understood this part. if you add dry rock and there's some die off, wouldn't that just add ammonia and help jumpstart the cycle?
The question is- what level of ammonia or even toxicity

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t know what’s in those pores and rather than quick rinse , you are providing flow through holes and cavities flushing rock out and getting salt through the pores of the rock
Oh okay I see what you mean....so I would basically cycle in a container. I bought Dr. Tims one and only and the ammonia so I would basically do what I was planning to do in the tank but in a container? Would 5 gallon buckets work? The rock was never live rock it is carbonate limestone-structured aragonite that was quarried in Florida. They are supposedly professionally cleaned and dried. Then they add imitation coraline.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh okay I see what you mean....so I would basically cycle in a container. I bought Dr. Tims one and only and the ammonia so I would basically do what I was planning to do in the tank but in a container? Would 5 gallon buckets work? The rock was never live rock it is carbonate limestone-structured aragonite that was quarried in Florida. They are supposedly professionally cleaned and dried. Then they add imitation coraline.
Buckets will work

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is- what level of ammonia or even toxicity
does it matter at that point tho? i'm not trying be arrogant. i'm genuinely asking. There's nothing in the tank and you just let the cycle run it's course till you have 0 ammonia and nitrates no? didn't people used to throw an entire shrimp to jump start ammonia?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back