Dry Rock questions

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some dry rock from bulk reef supply. Another 12 pounds worth. I got 5 pounds of Reef Saver, 5 pounds of Fiji and 2 pounds of Pukani. The last time I ordered dry rock, I rinsed it off and put it straight into the tank. I've read that dry rock usually has phosphates. The reef saver looks pretty clean, the Fiji is pretty dirty and the pukani looks dirty as well. Here's my first question. Since there are no fish in my tank yet, would it hurt anything to go ahead and put the dry rock in there (after rinsing it off)?

This weekend I'm getting a few more pounds of cured live rock to help seed and that should put me up close to around 30 pounds or so and then the next following weekend I may buy some peppermint shrimp or something cheap to see if they survive in my tank. Between now and then, I'll do some regular water changes to help clear out the nitrates in my tank now, and the phosphates from the dry rock. Thoughts?

Oh! I got my Marineland Maxi Jet 400 powerhead/circulation pump in the mail, too! :becky:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your still cycling and nothing is in the tank, nothing wrong with just rinsing it off and throwing it in. You can get the phosphates out using SeaKlear, and it will take them out in about a week or so.

koz99gst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some dry rock from bulk reef supply. Another 12 pounds worth. I got 5 pounds of Reef Saver, 5 pounds of Fiji and 2 pounds of Pukani. The last time I ordered dry rock, I rinsed it off and put it straight into the tank. I've read that dry rock usually has phosphates. The reef saver looks pretty clean, the Fiji is pretty dirty and the pukani looks dirty as well. Here's my first question. Since there are no fish in my tank yet, would it hurt anything to go ahead and put the dry rock in there (after rinsing it off)?

This weekend I'm getting a few more pounds of cured live rock to help seed and that should put me up close to around 30 pounds or so and then the next following weekend I may buy some peppermint shrimp or something cheap to see if they survive in my tank. Between now and then, I'll do some regular water changes to help clear out the nitrates in my tank now, and the phosphates from the dry rock. Thoughts?

Oh! I got my Marineland Maxi Jet 400 powerhead/circulation pump in the mail, too! :becky:

I've got a little input for you. First, I personally would rinse off the rock really quick before putting it in the tank just to get the loose particles off of it because it may cause some cloudiness. Second, if you plan on getting some coral eventually, I would definitely get a drill bit and drill some holes in your rock for the plugs to fit into before you get your aquascape set up. I made that mistake when I first set up my tank and ended up not having anywhere that the coral plugs would securely stay other than the sand bed. Next, do some research and get some good aquascape ideas before you start stacking your rock, that way you will have a plan and it makes it a little easier. Finally, if you need more dry rock, check out reefrocks.net. I ordered some from them and got 100lbs of rock and 120lbs of sand for like $185. It was a really good deal and both the sand and rocks are really nice. Best of luck! :bigsmile:

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I eventually plan to add some corals. I have no idea about my aquascaping. The rocks I have in there now I just stacked up haha. Can I rearrange them and move then around later on it I want to, or will that disrupt everything? I'll get a rest kit for phosphates and try that SeaKlear stuff if I need to.

koz99gst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I eventually plan to add some corals. I have no idea about my aquascaping. The rocks I have in there now I just stacked up haha. Can I rearrange them and move then around later on it I want to, or will that disrupt everything? I'll get a rest kit for phosphates and try that SeaKlear stuff if I need to.

It will stir things up a bit, but shouldn't do any harm. I just suggested that because once I got some fish and coral in my tank, it was kind of a pain moving everything. Oh! I almost forgot! you don't want to put a shrimp in there right away. Peppermints tend to be hardy but in my experience, most shrimp tend to be pretty sensitive to water conditions. I suggest going to your LFS and buying a $4 damsel when you suspect your tank is done cycling and see how it does for a little while before you add anything else. Also, make sure its one you like, because if all is well with your cycle it will be there to stay. As far as phosphates, will you be running this tank with a sump?

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a little input for you. First, I personally would rinse off the rock really quick before putting it in the tank just to get the loose particles off of it because it may cause some cloudiness. Second, if you plan on getting some coral eventually, I would definitely get a drill bit and drill some holes in your rock for the plugs to fit into before you get your aquascape set up. I made that mistake when I first set up my tank and ended up not having anywhere that the coral plugs would securely stay other than the sand bed. Next, do some research and get some good aquascape ideas before you start stacking your rock, that way you will have a plan and it makes it a little easier. Finally, if you need more dry rock, check out reefrocks.net. I ordered some from them and got 100lbs of rock and 120lbs of sand for like $185. It was a really good deal and both the sand and rocks are really nice. Best of luck! :bigsmile:

REEFROCKS.NET

They seem to be the cheapest I've seen. How are their rocks, some pictures maybe? Im about to order 100lbs from them.

koz99gst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sump right now, but toward the end of summer when I'm more familiar with everything

OK, not a problem. I was going to say that macro algae in my sump was the best thing I did to remove phosphate. I started with a handful of chaeto and within 1 week my phosphate level went from 2ppm to .25ppm. Since you won't have a sump, you can always just run some Pura-Phoslock in your canister filter. That stuff does a pretty good job as well.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might as well add the sump now. It will be a little harder (If its a reef ready tank) or nearly impossible (if you plan to drill) to add it after the tank has been set up.

koz99gst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEFROCKS.NET

They seem to be the cheapest I've seen. How are their rocks, some pictures maybe? Im about to order 100lbs from them.

Their rocks and service are great. Just tell them what you are looking for as far as shapes go and they make it happen. They even have flat bottom rocks to use as a stable base. Also, the are super clean when you get them. I rinsed them before putting them in the tank and there was barely anything on them. I will post some pics when I get home for you.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their rocks and service are great. Just tell them what you are looking for as far as shapes go and they make it happen. They even have flat bottom rocks to use as a stable base. Also, the are super clean when you get them. I rinsed them before putting them in the tank and there was barely anything on them. I will post some pics when I get home for you.

Sweet thanks.

koz99gst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might as well add the sump now. It will be a little harder (If its a reef ready tank) or nearly impossible (if you plan to drill) to add it after the tank has been set up.

+1 I agree with Vic, it will make your life much easier. But if you can't afford it right away you can still have a successful tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back