Dry rock rubble: what's the best way to attach a ton of small pieces together?

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally bought 2 bags of FIJI dry rock rubble from BRS (long story) over the weekend. haha. Now that I have them, I'm thinking it'd be really fun to create a super elaborate rock form for a nano.

So my question is, what would you guys recommend for sticking those little pieces of rocks together? I have a ton of small pieces and I have an opportunity to do so while they are dry and outside the tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tried using a couple different products and wasn't very happy with either in a recent build with dry rock.
However one method using acrylic dowel and drilling holes with a masonry bit seemed to work the best.
Maybe some smaller dowel, maybe 1/4"? Not sure how big the rock is.
Along with a adhesive like Aquaforest Stone Fix.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a combination of Apoxie Sculpt & superglue gel. The Apoxie Sculpt is a two part product that comes in different colors. I squirt superglue on the rock; push enough Apoxie Sculpt into the same spot; squirt some superglue on the other piece of rock; push the two pieces together; squirt the connection with superglue accelerator (BRS sell it) spray. Instant bond and cure. Lots of fun, too! Here's a link to the Apoxie Sculpt: https://amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-...s=apoxie+sculpt+4+lb&psc=1&smid=AU2FNATHSFHNB
Here's a pic of a structure I made out of big, med and lots of small pieces of dry rock:
IMG_0884.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a combination of Apoxie Sculpt & superglue gel. The Apoxie Sculpt is a two part product that comes in different colors. I squirt superglue on the rock; push enough Apoxie Sculpt into the same spot; squirt some superglue on the other piece of rock; push the two pieces together; squirt the connection with superglue accelerator (BRS sell it) spray. Instant bond and cure. Lots of fun, too! Here's a link to the Apoxie Sculpt: https://amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-...s=apoxie+sculpt+4+lb&psc=1&smid=AU2FNATHSFHNB
Here's a pic of a structure I made out of big, med and lots of small pieces of dry rock:
IMG_0884.JPG
Very cool!! So noted !!

Also Marko Rock makes a cement.

OP
OP
John Ostler

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0884.JPG

Thanks for the tip! Do you use white or cream – or maybe it doesn't matter?

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a downer but it will probably cost you more in glue and epoxy than buying new rock and sculpting it

That being said i would use bsi gel i have used other companies they use more glue and don’t stay stuck i have pieces that i used bsi and are still stuck 1-2 years later
Great frag glue as well if you are buying a couple of bottles

you can ask your lfs to give you a deal they usually would

The problem with epoxy is it stays white even after your rocks age

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back