Ds18b20, interference from PWM controlled lights?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure this is a hardware issue but I can't figure out what causes it if it's real and true data.

Every morning between 07.00-08.30 the readings from my ds18b20 gets a little crazy. See graph below on the left side. The sensor is monitoring my vivarium. There's no other equipment coming on or off inside the tank during this time. No appliances or vents coming on or off. The only thing that happens is that the light on the tank is rising up to reach peak value two hours after the graph has stabilized. Lights are led strips controlled with pwm via a mosfet circuit. The reef-pi and circuitry are located below the tank, far from the sensor. The sensor is located quite close (7 inches?) to one of the led strips though.

The "event" starts with a quick drop in temperature reading at the same time as the lights get turned on (they are set to diurnal mode).

Could these weird readings be caused by some interference from the lights when they are at a very low value? The pwm signal I use is straight from the raspberry pi and is 25kHz.

1618676094590.png

OP
OP
Mandelstam

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot from the dashboard showing the temp graph before and after lights were completely off. Definitely seems like there are some interference from drivers or something... Anyone experienced this?

1618687753119.png

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen too and never quite figured it out. I had to rewire to move the case and it hasn't happened since but I'm not sure what changed. You might try switching to a different pwm pin as there might be a bit of wire or solder arcing between the two pi pins, but that's just a guess.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back