DsunY popbloom led 9 months (short review)

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really been much of a "review" kind of guy. Mostly because I suck at explaining what I love or hate about what it is that I'm reviewing. Lol.

Anyway, about 9 months ago I went against my better judgment and purchased these DsunY Popbloom LEDs for my 40 breeder. After a lot of researching several different brands and styles of lighting, I decided that $200 was easier to justify than $500-$800.

Immediately what I noticed was that, right out of the box, these were easy to set up and configure. The controller is basic and makes it simple to control the light spectrum as well as the day/night time schedule.

There is a good assortment of blues and whites, but could use some true violets and ambers to help make the corals 'POP' more.

The growth of my tank has been very noticeable since having these. The intensity allows you to grow any kind of coral you can throw at it.

Anyway, so far so good. For $200, I'd give it 8/10.

Day 1
Screenshot_20191207-083113.jpg

Today 9 months
20191205_144942.jpg

Last edited:

Chem1586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these same lights and was worried this was going to be another negative review about them breaking right away. I too have seen some really good growth with them. I did swap out a few of the blue LEDs for a more violet color and was really impressed with how much more my corals “popped” as you say.

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these same lights and was worried this was going to be another negative review about them breaking right away. I too have seen some really good growth with them. I did swap out a few of the blue LEDs for a more violet color and was really impressed with how much more my corals “popped” as you say.
Hi
What are your settings for your lights?

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really been much of a "review" kind of guy. Mostly because I suck at explaining what I love or hate about what it is that I'm reviewing. Lol.

Anyway, about 9 months ago I went against my better judgment and purchased these DsunY Popbloom LEDs for my 40 breeder. After a lot of researching several different brands and styles of lighting, I decided that $200 was easier to justify than $500-$800.

Immediately what I noticed was that, right out of the box, these were easy to set up and configure. The controller is basic and makes it simple to control the light spectrum as well as the day/night time schedule.

There is a good assortment of blues and whites, but could use some true violets and ambers to help make the corals 'POP' more.

The growth of my tank has been very noticeable since having these. The intensity allows you to grow any kind of coral you can throw at it.

Day 1

Today 9 months
20191205_144942.jpg
Great growth
What are your parameters and lighting schedule and setting please

Chem1586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run channel 1 and 4 up to 20% at the peak but they ramp up and down to that over about 6 hours. One hits 20% while the other is ramping up and the other hits 20% when the first one is ramping down. I have my blues, channel 3, on for almost 12 hours with a 2 hour ramp up/down periods on each end. They go up to 95%. Then I run channel 3, my Violet channel at about 70% while my other lights are on and I use that one as my moonlights at 1% for most of the night.

I used to run my whites at about 5-10% and blues at 70, but I have raised them up so I increased intensity. At those levels, in a 20” deep tank,I was getting a little under 100 par on the sandbed, and about 300 at the top.

I have upgraded to a larger tank so I’ve added T5s to supplement, waiting to borrow a PAR meter to test out my levels now.

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update, how are the lights holding?
whats the size of yout tank and which and how many popbloom did you got?

I you first said spending 200€ is easier to justify than 400€... i feel the same, so i am thinking on buying these lights.
My tank if 70x57cm and 50cm depth, i was thinking buying 2x 50cm popbloom for 240€, the alternatives are 1 (or 2 if needed) chinesse black box 40cm with wifi for about 115€ each or 1x AI Hydra 32 HD for about 350€

Regards and stay safe
Bonifácio

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run them too. I had no problem with them, even though most opinions I received on this forum regarding the brand were negative. Like you said, the programming is so easy and the price is right. I’ve got them growing something else right now (from Michigan) and they’re not bad at growing that either! My recommendation is to not run ch 1 too high or ch 4 too high because they encourage nuisance algae growth

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run them too. I had no problem with them, even though most opinions I received on this forum regarding the brand were negative. Like you said, the programming is so easy and the price is right. I’ve got them growing something else right now (from Michigan) and they’re not bad at growing that either! My recommendation is to not run ch 1 too high or ch 4 too high because they encourage nuisance algae growth
I’m going on close to 3 years with them. Had no problem running them 12 hours a day when they were over the reef and they’re still going strong, even when I run them full blast, 24hrs for a month!

OP
OP
HexaReef

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update, how are the lights holding?
whats the size of yout tank and which and how many popbloom did you got?

I you first said spending 200€ is easier to justify than 400€... i feel the same, so i am thinking on buying these lights.
My tank if 70x57cm and 50cm depth, i was thinking buying 2x 50cm popbloom for 240€, the alternatives are 1 (or 2 if needed) chinesse black box 40cm with wifi for about 115€ each or 1x AI Hydra 32 HD for about 350€

Regards and stay safe
Bonifácio

Hello! These lights are fantastic for the price. I still have them going over my 40g breeder. I upgraded my main tank to a 60 gallon tall where I run two RapidLED Coronas. I've had no problems with Popbloom LEDs. They grow coral and are easy to program. Excited to see where the go in the future.

OP
OP
HexaReef

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great growth
What are your parameters and lighting schedule and setting please
Sorry for the late response, for some reason I haven't been getting notifications from reef2reef ever since they left Tapatalk.

I run a 12 hour schedule starting at 8am with a 4-Hour peak time of highest intensity between 12pm and 4pm . which is 100% blue, 40% White, 10% Red Green, and hundred percent violet.

So basically a 4-Hour ramp up, 4 hours full intensity, and 4 hours ramp down. And I leave Moon lights at 5% all night long

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! These lights are fantastic for the price. I still have them going over my 40g breeder. I upgraded my main tank to a 60 gallon tall where I run two RapidLED Coronas. I've had no problems with Popbloom LEDs. They grow coral and are easy to program. Excited to see where the go in the future.
Thanks for the reply, but... how long is your tank and how many light you run? 1 19" light? or more?

Regards
Bonifácio

OP
OP
HexaReef

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You run 2x 20" or 2x 15" lights on a 3ft tank?
Sorry, but i like your grow and i am trying to stablish the best setup.

regards
This is precisely the set I have.

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is precisely the set I have.
Really? You got that growth with 2x 29cm?

iwas thinking about 2x 50cm and put both side by side.

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day 1

Today 9 months
20191205_144942.jpg
i would like to know more about what leds you changed out? no offens but i have teh 3x panel version of this fixture and i have to say there is just way to much white and channel 3 is mostly 470nm leds. to much white and 0 for color "pop", also the moonlight channel ( 2 i think ) is 2x blue and 1x green led which gives a blue/green disco ball effect. im currently looking at swapping out some of the leds to tone down the white and give more "pop". i would say the "looks" resembled standard flourescent tank hood/ shop light. at least this is with my fixture.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to know more about what leds you changed out? no offens but i have teh 3x panel version of this fixture and i have to say there is just way to much white and channel 3 is mostly 470nm leds. to much white and 0 for color "pop", also the moonlight channel ( 2 i think ) is 2x blue and 1x green led which gives a blue/green disco ball effect. im currently looking at swapping out some of the leds to tone down the white and give more "pop". i would say the "looks" resembled standard flourescent tank hood/ shop light. at least this is with my fixture.
I’m actually running mine over a reef tank again and I’m thinking about swapping all of channel one out for blue/purple. And I’m also going to replace the white spotlight on channel 2. They charge 1.50$ a piece for leds

Aussiereef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day 1

Today 9 months
20191205_144942.jpg
I'm running 4 of the turning 75 popbloom lights on my 8foot reef tank and I love the had no problems growing any corals spa lps and annomion they are all thriving I've had them for 8 months now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back