DsunY popbloom led 9 months (short review)

Marcus 53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these same lights and was worried this was going to be another negative review about them breaking right away. I too have seen some really good growth with them. I did swap out a few of the blue LEDs for a more violet color and was really impressed with how much more my corals “popped” as you say.
Hi mate would be handy for info on how to do this

Chem1586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really didn’t like the red/green bulbs. I felt the reds were too strong and really gave the fixture a purple look.

I saw on here somewhere a guide to swapping them out, sorry it was awhile ago so I don’t remember where. Might show up in a search? But here’s what I did:

open up the fixture, pretty East with just a screwdriver. Then remove the plastic cover. Take out the reflectors, also screwdriver.

then the next bit gets tricky, so only do it if you’re comfortable with a solder iron. Identify the bulbs you want to replace. Again, I swapped out the red/greens for some UV and royal blues. Here’s a link to the UVs:

I feel like the UVs really made my corals pop more. removing the old bulbs is a little tricky because you have to melt the solder and lift the prong of the led out at the same time. I found a small thin blade was helpful to slip under it. Then with needle nose pliers I lifted it up while melting the other end. Take note of which end was positive/negative so you can replace them the same way.

adding the new ones was pretty easy, just set it back in and resolder in place. Ihave been super happy with them and have been getting some really good growth.

Chem1586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as my setup, I have three over my 105gal tank. Dimensions are 40”x30”x20”deep. I also have T5s in the front and back to help cover the 30” dimension.
87D32D39-1AAD-407C-AD29-B2134B1ACAA7.jpeg

21E4958D-3068-4C1B-8D22-279117CC0689.jpeg

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually running mine over a reef tank again and I’m thinking about swapping all of channel one out for blue/purple. And I’m also going to replace the white spotlight on channel 2. They charge 1.50$ a piece for leds

mine might be different i have the turing 30 and my channel 2 is moonlight channel ( 2x bluw 1x green), channel 3 is all blue and channel 4 ( of course i could have channel 3 and 4 backwards in terms of which one is which colors LOL) si a mix of blue, violet, red, green, and 14k shile channel 3 ( again i might have 3 and 4 backwards LOL) are all blue. ive been racking my brain for hourse trying to figure out how to program them for a 24 hours cycle for best color and growth with a 12 hour total day and 12 hours of moonlights ( i like a low intensity blue talking 1% for night time lighting).

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PopBloom has many lights versions. The following FYR
1, shannon is remoter version(only few sunrise/sunset/moon function),
Turing is smart version with a controller(free to do your own lighting cycle). Each controller can driver at least 5 pcs light panels.
2, for a tank less than 24" deep, no fan version is best choice. for more than 24" fan version is best choice.

The following link is newest version for each type.
Shannon for less 24" deep https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001489253065.html
turning for less 24" deep https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001572743806.html
turing for more 24" deep https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001511782247.html

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turing is smart version with a controller(free to do your own lighting cycle). Each controller can driver at least 5 pcs light panels.
2, for a tank less than 24" deep, no fan version is best choice. for more than 24" fan version is best choice.

i have turing 30 fan version, 3 panels over a 48" long 30" deep tank, and i can say that the pre programmed settigns are useless, they all reset the max % output to 100%.

i also want to point out an observation i have since installing the lights, 1 xenia is growing ( no surprise), GSP is growing ( again no surprise there), candy cane single head with single mouth is now a single head with almost 3 mouths, my green polyp toadstool leather however is starting to disolve. i have tried relocating him to other areas in teh tank but nothign does any good, he does better in shadowy areas, however i have a yellow eye kole tang that kept knocking the toadstool out of the shady areas.

i have concluded that anything over 45% intensity in my 48" x 24" x 30" tank is to bright and starts burning coral.

lastly even at 45% max intensity, on channels 1 and 4 ( 4 is the blue, white, red, and green channel), 1% on channel 2, and 100% on channel 3 running cycle from 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. green and brown algae grow quick requiring daily glass cleaning.

sadly popbloom dsuny lights just dont have a large amount of users posting settings and discussing tuning like other brands do (everyone knows the brands i am talking about).

anyway im currently back to 4 season + lunar capped at 45% on ch1 and ch4 until i can get time to go manually program my lights to get a nice total 24 hour cycle which im currently tryig to figure out how to have a 12 hour moonlight cycle with a 12 hour daylight cycle as the manual doesnt mention anything outside of program this channel, program that channel, only references to cycles are the pre programmed which again i have deemed utter useless for the most part.

Mikeyjuice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually running mine over a reef tank again and I’m thinking about swapping all of channel one out for blue/purple. And I’m also going to replace the white spotlight on channel 2. They charge 1.50$ a piece for leds
Did you end up changing ch1 to blue and uv? And do dsuny supply new LEDs?

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are 2 type of controller way:
1, shannon: it is a remoter. To eays use, the function are limited on "one press" . So,
*there are sunrise/sunset, but slop rate can not be setting. the change is 2%/1s and
*each channon can be set seperately, can not rise/down as it own slop rate.
*the timer is base on relative-run-time. I mean "on 10 hours then off 14 hours" !
*the moon can not be set. there are on/off during the night hours.
*three preset modes: Noon, echo( focus on grow and save energy), Moon.
*have to set light one by one !

2, Turing: there are display, so it is easy to setting current real time. so it can be program.
*each channel can be set indepentendly. max brightness, sunrise/sunset slot rate, more sunrise/sunset cycle in one 24 hours day!
* the moon can be set flexiable . the brightness, lunar cycle, on/off time.
* there are many preset modes: coral fast grow, slow accalamation, after frag-cut, 4-season simulation......
* all lights are connected together and can be program together. !

the shannon is the best choice to replace the old lights only with "on/off switch and dim Knob".
Also you have to hang the controller on the tank well, so for small tank, Shannon16/Shannon16F is best choice.
when the tank is more than 36", the turing is best choice. all lights are can be program, it is really very cool.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have turing 30 fan version, 3 panels over a 48" long 30" deep tank, and i can say that the pre programmed settigns are useless, they all reset the max % output to 100%.

i also want to point out an observation i have since installing the lights, 1 xenia is growing ( no surprise), GSP is growing ( again no surprise there), candy cane single head with single mouth is now a single head with almost 3 mouths, my green polyp toadstool leather however is starting to disolve. i have tried relocating him to other areas in teh tank but nothign does any good, he does better in shadowy areas, however i have a yellow eye kole tang that kept knocking the toadstool out of the shady areas.

i have concluded that anything over 45% intensity in my 48" x 24" x 30" tank is to bright and starts burning coral.

lastly even at 45% max intensity, on channels 1 and 4 ( 4 is the blue, white, red, and green channel), 1% on channel 2, and 100% on channel 3 running cycle from 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. green and brown algae grow quick requiring daily glass cleaning.

sadly popbloom dsuny lights just dont have a large amount of users posting settings and discussing tuning like other brands do (everyone knows the brands i am talking about).

anyway im currently back to 4 season + lunar capped at 45% on ch1 and ch4 until i can get time to go manually program my lights to get a nice total 24 hour cycle which im currently tryig to figure out how to have a 12 hour moonlight cycle with a 12 hour daylight cycle as the manual doesnt mention anything outside of program this channel, program that channel, only references to cycles are the pre programmed which again i have deemed utter useless for the most part.

Yes, Someone like more white while someone like no-white. So I always see limite the white channel.
if there is only 2 light panels, 45% is no enough. Also the tank deep, width, high of hangway..... it is really difficult to make a preset that satisfied every tank.

Yes, there is a function limite the "max output for each channels".

Channel 2 is moon channel. for example, you want sunrise at 8:00 and sunset at 20:00 (12 hours). the following for your reference.
Channel 1,3,4:
00:00-08:00 0% (turn off)
08:00-10:30 100% ( sunrise) (do not worry, you have limited the max of channel 1, 4 45% or you program them 45% here)
10:30-14:30 100% (noon)
14:30-17:30 60% (slow sunset)
17:30-20:00 0% (final sunset)
20:00-00:00 0% (turn off)

Channel 2:
00:00-08:00 X% (the moon brightness you want )
08:00-17:30 60% or 0%
17:30-20:00 X%
20:00-00:00 X%

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think about the S16, I suggest S16pro. it is double powerful than S16. prefect for LPS and SPS.

Would please may it possible you share a picture of how your light looks. The picture will help me make a correct suggestion.

Please this link show the nestest mount arm light.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just running the stock Fluval 13.5 Evo hood and light. I wanted to upgrade the light and have the hood removed so i can regulate the temp slightly cooler. I'm not concerned about evaporation.

Attachments

• tank lights.jpg
    tank lights.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 150

judgeerneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really been much of a "review" kind of guy. Mostly because I suck at explaining what I love or hate about what it is that I'm reviewing. Lol.

Anyway, about 9 months ago I went against my better judgment and purchased these DsunY Popbloom LEDs for my 40 breeder. After a lot of researching several different brands and styles of lighting, I decided that $200 was easier to justify than $500-$800.

Immediately what I noticed was that, right out of the box, these were easy to set up and configure. The controller is basic and makes it simple to control the light spectrum as well as the day/night time schedule.

There is a good assortment of blues and whites, but could use some true violets and ambers to help make the corals 'POP' more.

The growth of my tank has been very noticeable since having these. The intensity allows you to grow any kind of coral you can throw at it.

Anyway, so far so good. For $200, I'd give it 8/10.

Day 1
Screenshot_20191207-083113.jpg

Today 9 months
20191205_144942.jpg
I have the same lights and live them. Any suggestion as to how to clean them? Wondering if vinegar and water will do the trick.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just running the stock Fluval 13.5 Evo hood and light. I wanted to upgrade the light and have the hood removed so i can regulate the temp slightly cooler. I'm not concerned about evaporation.
21 months later update. I did remove the hood soon after the last post and running topless with an AI 16HD
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3969.JPG

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 4 of the turning 75 popbloom lights on my 8foot reef tank and I love the had no problems growing any corals spa lps and annomion they are all thriving I've had them for 8 months now
Heya Aussie,

Just curious what setting do you run yours at? I am trying 4 of these out on a 60"x30"x20" tank we are setting up in our office.

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Someone like more white while someone like no-white. So I always see limite the white channel.
if there is only 2 light panels, 45% is no enough. Also the tank deep, width, high of hangway..... it is really difficult to make a preset that satisfied every tank.

Yes, there is a function limite the "max output for each channels".

Channel 2 is moon channel. for example, you want sunrise at 8:00 and sunset at 20:00 (12 hours). the following for your reference.
Channel 1,3,4:
00:00-08:00 0% (turn off)
08:00-10:30 100% ( sunrise) (do not worry, you have limited the max of channel 1, 4 45% or you program them 45% here)
10:30-14:30 100% (noon)
14:30-17:30 60% (slow sunset)
17:30-20:00 0% (final sunset)
20:00-00:00 0% (turn off)

Channel 2:
00:00-08:00 X% (the moon brightness you want )
08:00-17:30 60% or 0%
17:30-20:00 X%
20:00-00:00 X%
Thank you this was what I was looking for.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price you can't go wrong .
I got a pair around 2 months ago and I'm happy so far . I wish I waited for the WiFi version tho .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 65 54.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back