DT CRASH - Shark and Nems only survivors

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 2months ago, i experienced a major crash on my DT. 6 fish in 2 days.

LOST:
-purple tang
-twin spot wrasse
-red grouper
- butterfly raccoon
- sailfin tang
-rainbow wrasse

survivors - coral banded shark ; 2 LTAs ; 2 fire cowns

water params normal. tank clear. no obvious signs of parasites, no obvious signs of stress or physical injury except on the purple tang upon finding it dead. ( discoloration on the front of the fish showing sign of stress. no physical injury apparent)

shark is docile as it is still a baby. about 9" long. does not chase or hunt other fish. 24 hr monitor since added. not the last inhabitant added to DT. ( coral banded shark) not likely the cause of crash.

since crash, no new fish added. shark, clowns, & nems doing fine.

wanting to rebuild and add more livestock but very hesitant due to crash and unknown cause.

anyone have an idea what could cause such a crash in such a short (48hr) amount of time when no fish was showing signs of distress? all fish were fine, last fish added was purple tang, within 1.5 wks crash happened.

any ideas are welcome. all fish were in the tank for a period of 30 days or more with the exception of the purple tang.

i know the last fish added was the culprit, but with no signs of parasites or stress im at a loss for a cause. also the most sensitive of the inhabitants were the only ones to survive, aside from the 2 fire clowns.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure sharks are disease resistant.

Any fast breathing of the fish? Either before or the current ones.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choices would seem most likely, 1) temp-cooked them 2) lack of Oxygen—circulation stopped or bacteria bloom 3) fast moving disease like velvet 4) water parameters very off.

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOST:
-purple tang
-twin spot wrasse
-red grouper
- butterfly raccoon
- sailfin tang
-rainbow wrasse

water params normal. tank clear. no obvious signs of parasites, no obvious signs of stress or physical injury except on the purple tang upon finding it dead. ( discoloration on the front of the fish showing sign of stress. no physical injury apparent)

shark is docile as it is still a baby. about 9" long. does not chase or hunt other fish. 24 hr monitor since added. not the last inhabitant added to DT. ( coral banded shark) not likely the cause of crash.

wanting to rebuild and add more livestock but very hesitant due to crash and unknown cause.

anyone have an idea what could cause such a crash in such a short (48hr) amount of time when no fish was showing signs of distress? all fish were fine, last fish added was purple tang, within 1.5 wks crash happened.

any ideas are welcome. all fish were in the tank for a period of 30 days or more with the exception of the purple tang.

i know the last fish added was the culprit, but with no signs of parasites or stress im at a loss for a cause. also the most sensitive of the inhabitants were the only ones to survive, aside from the 2 fire clowns.
How long have you had the tank? Were there any other marks on the fish? i.e. burns. Where do you get your water from when doing water changes?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago where all fish in my tank were dead within a few hours. I asked the same question on here and the most common possibilities were the ones mentioned by @watchguy123 and also the possibility of some outside pollutant making it into the tank. IME you will probably never figure out what caused it to happen.

Regardless of what caused it you should wait a while and begin to restock. Perhaps with a qt tank to help avoid possible diseases in the future.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOST:
-purple tang
-twin spot wrasse
-red grouper
- butterfly raccoon
- sailfin tang
-rainbow wrasse

I saw a previous post where you mentioned the Purple Tang had something.. I'm assuming whatever that was may have caused the issue potentially..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any rapid breathing in the fish? If it wasn't for the fire clowns surviving, I would bet this was velvet (Amyloodinium) as the anemone and shark wouldn't be affected by that.

Jay

Back