DT Cycled, fish in QT, nothing to do but wait?

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wait for my 2 clown fish to finish quarantine, is there anything I can do with the DT other than wait? The hubs is having fun with gear, already upgraded the Rodi unit, made a battery back up, etc. But until the fish are out of quarantine, I guess I'm the queen of water testing, obsessive researcher and reader, and QT master. The empty tank mocks me....

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to Brandon429 for being the first to cast shade on the rather helpful actionable responses by previous posters! I see you are quite a resource for assuming the worst about anyone with a new tank even if they have stated that they are indeed doing QT.

It is obvious that by wanting to "do something" with my empty but cycled tank while my fish are in quarantine that I must be ready to hop over to my algae and pox riddled LFS and wontonly toss inverts and frags into my beautiful and pristine 65 gallon tank. Dirty fallow indeed.

I suggest you work on your writing skills if you truly want to be a force for good on this forum. I can already id your posts by reading them without even noting the author before doing so.

I have indeed read Jay's posts and stickies in the disease forum. Several, multiple times. I will be adding some pods, a controlled amount of phytoplankton, and macro algae to my tank from Algae Barn as that seems to be a pretty safe activity as well as source. Feel free to give me a detailed QT procedure for them if you wish. You can practice your new encouraging writing style while doing so! I will not be adding inverts at this time as there's really nothing for them to feed on. Though I am starting to see some coloration on my aquascape.

I'm sure your assumptions are partly my fault as I have yet to post a build thread for you to analyze as I've seen you do to others.

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. No worries, I won't be adding any to my tank. Milk either.

To be obnoxiously clear, my 2 tiny clown fish are in a separate tank for QT with copper and Prazipro with a minimum of 3 weeks to go before I will even consider adding them to my DT. As for your dirty fallow comment, the only wet thing in it from my lfs is bottle bac and the original dose of ammonia, followed by another dose of ammonia to test if ammonia went to 0 in 24 hours. Lights are off.

What would you DO in the DT in the meantime?

Absolutely nothing? Patience is a virtue.
Play with the aquascape?
Test flow?
Add pods, macro, what?
Ghost feed to keep the bacteria thriving?
Add a few CUC while feeding...after a few dunks in saltwater for a mini Invert QT?

Thanks to all!
I have been thinking about this quite a bit myself. My new system should be up and running the second week of January.

I'm also running a full QT on fish.

Instead of looking at an empty display we are going to put in a small first stock of inverts and corals to the display. Then let that system run fallow with that first batch for 76-90 days.

Fish will start in QT a week or so after the main display fallow and the 60 day process plus back end observation should line up well with the completion of fallow of the main.

I have two other QT systems cycling as well all spaced out. So in the beginning, I can have two new fish every 30 days and the corals and inverts come in every 76 to 90 days.

A bit of PITA, but at least no empty display to start and no breaking of QT protocols I am choosing to run.

So that is a long answer for you to say that I would add CUC and some softies and some pods to display. After last wet thing is added leave them there for fallow period. Let fish finish QT and observe till fallow is complete on main display.

Sit back and enjoy, while you know that you did the best start from current best practices that a new hobbiest can.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is a long answer for you to say that I would add CUC and some softies and some pods to display. After last wet thing is added leave them there for fallow period. Let fish finish QT and observe till fallow is complete on main display.

Ok I see this advice over and over. WHY would you add a CUC to a brand new tank? What are they supposed to clean? Besides each other of course.

Would you buy a rabbit and then plant carrots for it to eat (just an example) or would you plant the food and THEN buy the rabbit?

If you don't have food for the CUC, they will either starve or prey on each other. Seems wasteful and pointless to me.

Upvote 0

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see this advice over and over. WHY would you add a CUC to a brand new tank? What are they supposed to clean? Besides each other of course.

Would you buy a rabbit and then plant carrots for it to eat (just an example) or would you plant the food and THEN buy the rabbit?

If you don't have food for the CUC, they will either starve or prey on each other. Seems wasteful and pointless to me.
I am doing it because of disease vectors. 76 days of QT is well past when you will need them on start up.

When I say small, I mean 10-12 snails, 4-5 hermits an maybe 1 -2 decorative members in a 300 gallon system. This is not that much to feed, till the algae starts coming in.

I did the same thing on a small display I set up to get my nitrogen cycle started on my rockwork in brute trash can sumps. Only snails there though. I offer nori, but the ignore it and keep the glass and rock clean instead.

Keep QT protocol, have something to look at and feed. Seems win win to me.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say small, I mean 10-12 snails, 4-5 hermits an maybe 1 -2 decorative members in a 300 gallon system. This is not that much to feed, till the algae starts coming in.

And in the meantime, while waiting for the algae to grow, which of course won't happen while the lights are off, the hermits eat the snails. expensive food IMO.

I am not the only one who thinks this approach is flawed.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in the meantime, while waiting for the algae to grow, which of course won't happen while the lights are off, the hermits eat the snails. expensive food IMO.

This is what I did in my first tank that I set up last December -- my Evo 13.5. I added my CUC after the tank had cycled, and with the live rock, as I knew that adding this would be a disease risk to the new tank. And the trochus snails proceeded to breed like mad without any predators, and the Hallowe'en hermit didn't eat either the snails or eggs, and I then populated my later builds with livestock (and macroalgae) from the Evo. I haven't had a disease outbreak in any of those other tanks, but I did have a wipeout in August in my RSR350, which I'd just set up the month before, after skipping quarantine with fish after reading a whole bunch of posts suggesting that I should do exactly that. My first fish went in about three months after I added my CUC and macro.

Hey, I fully understand that this approach isn't for everyone. But the OP asked for suggestions, and this was mine. :)

Upvote 0

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why keep the lights off and just delay the inevitable, algae is coming on a dry start.

Might as well learn some basic nutrient management and have something to look at. As well as learning how some target feeding may help your tank have a happy balance. If you lose a couple snails to hermits it is a small price.

When you go lights out for 4 months then stock corals, with 6 fish in your tank, turn the lights on, then 2 weeks later algae is growing on your corals and killing them, so you dose chemicals or throw in a bunch of non-QT clean up crew and the tank crash is incoming. Now Brandon comes to your thread and you are in a full rip clean path too. (That last part is a friendly jest)

I guess my way of reefing is risk a few $2 snails to hermits, if I am unsuccessful if feeding the hermits so they have to hunt the snails.

There are many options in between too.

Happy reefing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why keep the lights off and just delay the inevitable, algae is coming on a dry start.

Might as well learn some basic nutrient management and have something to look at. As well as learning how some target feeding may help your tank have a happy balance. If you lose a couple snails to hermits it is a small price.

When you go lights out for 4 months then stock corals, with 6 fish in your tank, turn the lights on, then 2 weeks later algae is growing on your corals and killing them, so you dose chemicals or throw in a bunch of non-QT clean up crew and the tank crash is incoming.

I guess my way of reefing is risk a few $2 snails to hermits, if I am unsuccessful if feeding the hermits so they have to hunt the snails.

There are many options in between too.

Happy reefing.

Did you read Ann's post? She has her lights off.

Her tank is cycled, but as of now is empty.

Yes, algae will grow once the lights are on. She still has several weeks before that happens. I do not recall her stating anything saying she is planning to introduce corals in the interim, or for that matter, AFTER the fish go in. No need to run lights at all. Again.. what is there to clean? You are advising, "oh well, let the CUC eat each other, who cares?" Personally I dislike that approach. If that is how you feel, so be it. To advise that to a new refer, who is still learning the whole process, I feel that to advise that is both inappropriate and negligent.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amy has a 65g tank. Currently cycled and running fallow. She has her first introductions in QT at the moment. Running lights over her DT is pointless as there is nothing in there to require lights. Again, I have not seen from any of her postings anything that triggers a response to advise her to start running her lights.

I appreciate that you may have a different approach than me to starting up a tank. I did things completely different than Ann as well. I added fish to my DT from day 1, as I have done with every tank, FW or SW since I first started aquarium keeping over 35 years ago.

Upvote 0

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amy has a 65g tank. Currently cycled and running fallow. She has her first introductions in QT at the moment. Running lights over her DT is pointless as there is nothing in there to require lights. Again, I have not seen from any of her postings anything that triggers a response to advise her to start running her lights.

I appreciate that you may have a different approach than me to starting up a tank. I did things completely different than Ann as well. I added fish to my DT from day 1, as I have done with every tank, FW or SW since I first started aquarium keeping over 35 years ago.
The thing that triggers run her lights is she was looking for other options to an empty tank. I proposed another path.

Never did I say she had to do anything, just presented an option.

Never did I say let CUC eat each other. Skip hermits, it still works.

I'm glad you have had success, but chill out.

Happy reefing.

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
In the hobby all we have is patience and time. So i would wait until quarantine is over.

By adding inverts without quarantine... your at square 1 again. Inverts can potentially host unwanted critters

Upvote 0
OP
OP
amygetsalife

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the temptation to add CUC, especially if you were running the DT with the inverts for a long period to essentially act as another QT. But I see it as a temptation for me to avoid.

Without knowing details but getting context clues that David has multiple tanks and essentially runs his EVO as a breeder for CUC supply for the rest, it sounds like it works for him. Nice to have a prepped source for CUC at any time!
I then populated my later builds with livestock (and macroalgae) from the Evo.
If I had the room I might consider such a tank. Heck if I had the room, I'd consider a LOT of things/tanks.

I would need to turn on the lights and feed algae, as well as other foods in the meantime, and I really believe in making sure the intended CUC get their food from doing their job. Can't have any spoiled slackers!:D

Though once the macroalgae comes, the lights will go on, at least over my mini refugium. (AIO tank)

I've got a tiny tank coming and a small filter/bubbler to set up as an invert/coral QT. Will need to do some more reading on that.

BTW, as a newbie, it's likely that many people leave out some steps they are taking when writing a concise reply, and some tend to assume the worst and others assume the better on those omissions. And I've finally made it to the forum on my computer instead of my phone....my 'tone' would have been much better with the appropriate emojis!;Happy I wasn't "unhinged":rolleyes: but I do hate it when someone seems to take me wrong. Especially when they were missing key points in my post. Alas...if I write posts on my computer, they will be far too long! Save that for my build thread.

Also for us new to the forum, doing searches for basic info is great! Don't assume we all just ask questions we could have googled. However, hot button topics will come up first and they aren't the most useful. I am learning how to better use the site (no more adding emojis with my phone for sure) and search functions. Searching for "after my tank cycles" gave me 2 short comments within 2 different threads, each with only one short response. The stickies are fabulous! But searching ....there's soooo much to filter through! Great resource.

Upvote 0

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the temptation to add CUC, especially if you were running the DT with the inverts for a long period to essentially act as another QT. But I see it as a temptation for me to avoid.

Without knowing details but getting context clues that David has multiple tanks and essentially runs his EVO as a breeder for CUC supply for the rest, it sounds like it works for him. Nice to have a prepped source for CUC at any time!

If I had the room I might consider such a tank. Heck if I had the room, I'd consider a LOT of things/tanks.

I would need to turn on the lights and feed algae, as well as other foods in the meantime, and I really believe in making sure the intended CUC get their food from doing their job. Can't have any spoiled slackers!:D

Though once the macroalgae comes, the lights will go on, at least over my mini refugium. (AIO tank)

I've got a tiny tank coming and a small filter/bubbler to set up as an invert/coral QT. Will need to do some more reading on that.

BTW, as a newbie, it's likely that many people leave out some steps they are taking when writing a concise reply, and some tend to assume the worst and others assume the better on those omissions. And I've finally made it to the forum on my computer instead of my phone....my 'tone' would have been much better with the appropriate emojis!;Happy I wasn't "unhinged":rolleyes: but I do hate it when someone seems to take me wrong. Especially when they were missing key points in my post. Alas...if I write posts on my computer, they will be far too long! Save that for my build thread.

Also for us new to the forum, doing searches for basic info is great! Don't assume we all just ask questions we could have googled. However, hot button topics will come up first and they aren't the most useful. I am learning how to better use the site (no more adding emojis with my phone for sure) and search functions. Searching for "after my tank cycles" gave me 2 short comments within 2 different threads, each with only one short response. The stickies are fabulous! But searching ....there's soooo much to filter through! Great resource.

Your plan seems really good overall, at least to another novice.

I like the invert QT tank, current protocol is 76 days fishless, no medication. You will have to feed them in QT as well.

As for your macro, you will need nitrate and phosphate in your system for it to live and grow. Just consider that for timing with when you add your fish.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, as a newbie, it's likely that many people leave out some steps they are taking when writing a concise reply,

I believe this sentence says volumes.

I know myself, as an experienced aquarist , often tend to overlook stating what I think any novice should already know.

Perhaps a "canned" reply, that covers a definitive step by step description would be helpful. That said, there are SOOOO many other posts and threads that detail the same exact process, is it really necessary?

One thing I have found in my time here on this forum is, people want an exact answer to their specific tank. This is understandable given the complexity of what we are dealing with. However, this simply is not realistic in the overall scheme of what this forum is here for.

Does it matter if you are starting with a 13.5g EVO or a 150G RedSea with included sump? The basic startup process is the same. A readthrough of any one of a thousand startup posts here will give you the basic knowledge needed.

Newbies, understandably have questions as they, like all of us, work their way through this learning process.

It is a funny thing @amygetsalife , As you spend more time here, and read the same questions over and over, you start to get desensitized to them... It gets harder and harder to spend the time to write out a detailed explanation to a question you have answered 3 dozen times before. Doesn't make us bad people, simply that we have learned that these are "non-issues" and tend to omit them in discussions.

Your question is what to do with DT while waiting for QT to finish. There have been many suggestions. Some I agree with, so I do not. Am I right? Are they right? Who knows? I stated an opinion that is shared by many. They have also shared a popular opinion.

It is YOUR tank.. who cares what WE think?

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back