Dual media reactor- what to do with unused half?

Eric Dorfner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I currently have a 65 gallon reef tank and purchased a BRS dual reactor. I’m going to use one of them for about 3/4 cup of activated carbon pellets and am looking for advice on how to use the other one. Right now they’re connected in series so I’d like to keep it that way for now but can separate them and if needed to have one turn on and off separately.

I have no media in my sump so was thinking of putting bio balls in there to add that filtration but have seen mixed recommendations online.

Tank parameters are good for nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates.

Thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg BAE6C2D5-D399-43C8-BD42-CEFB1CA807A0.jpeg

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just run it with carbon on one side, and leave the canister in the other but empty, that way you don't lose the canister, like I would... ;Facepalm and the water flows down and around. The other side is then always ready for GFO, BIO balls or what ever else you might need.

OP
OP
E

Eric Dorfner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t needed GFO yet so was thinking there might be a better use now instead of keeping empty for something that might never be needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back