Dual return pumps for redundancy! Good idea or just a waste of money?

Do you run TWO return pumps for redundancy and to be safe? (check all that apply)

• Yes I run two return pumps..

Votes: 162 21.1%
  • No it's a waste..

Votes: 98 12.8%
  • No but I would like to..

Votes: 193 25.2%
  • No but I have a spare return pump...

Votes: 358 46.7%

• Total voters

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AC pumps, in particular a Reeflo Dart. It's pretty quite and has tons of flow.
My main gripe with DC pumps is that if they fail it's typically a sudden event. AC pumps almost never fail like that. Typically they just start to get louder and that loudness will increase slowly each year. You can decide when it's too loud and just change the bearings.

I always have a spare pump on hand and while having two in parallel would be easier to deal with. It's really not a big deal for me to unbolt the head of one Pump and change the motor to my spare unit. It only takes about 30 minutes and I am back up running again.

Spare pumps are a must. Two inline at the same time is a nice luxury but not really needed.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Checkvalves are notorious for failing - either leaking or clogging - and have a bad reputation in the hobby. This is probably one of the better, lower risk uses for them, IMO.

Yep they always leak but the good thing is that they prevent a turrent of water from back flowing and instead you just get a slow trickle. That gives me plenty of time to shutdown my valve. So IMHO they are still a good thing to have in the line.

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
These are the ones I have used and work great.
CHECK VALVE

Get the true union ones, they are easily taken apart and cleaned.

H Valve.jpg

Thanks for the info and visual! I was thinking about what a dual pump hard plumbed solution would look like. I'm curious why you decided to have another valve on the left top side instead of just putting an elbow... ?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and visual! I was thinking about what a dual pump hard plumbed solution would look like. I'm curious why you decided to have another valve on the left top side instead of just putting an elbow... ?

I posted earlier in this thread on the H valve set up.
Page 4 post #69. explains everything I am doing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I, on the other hand, have had 2 return pumps fail.

Lessons learned: buy quality, have a back up, and plan on having crashes while you are away.
Both at the same time?? That would suck!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use AC pumps, in particular a Reeflo Dart. It's pretty quite and has tons of flow.
My main gripe with DC pumps is that if they fail it's typically a sudden event. AC pumps almost never fail like that. Typically they just start to get louder and that loudness will increase slowly each year. You can decide when it's too loud and just change the bearings.

I always have a spare pump on hand and while having two in parallel would be easier to deal with. It's really not a big deal for me to unbolt the head of one Pump and change the motor to my spare unit. It only takes about 30 minutes and I am back up running again.

Spare pumps are a must. Two inline at the same time is a nice luxury but not really needed.
I've noticed this too. AC pumps tend to go out with symptoms, but DC pumps just quit.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two COR-20's running into my main DT, plus a COR-15 running the manifold and (when it's not being used as a QT) the frag tank.
I run all three pumps at reduced power (40-50%) to help extend their life. That also gives me some room if one of the main pumps should fail, I can boost the other and maintain something close to my normal flow rate.
All three pumps have check valves on them just above the pump so that I can remove a pump to clean without having to shut down the system. I do make sure to test every so often to ensure that my sump can hold the full water volume of the system in the case of a check valve failure. This is generally done when I'm cleaning the check valves, in fact.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the value of two, but one for backup. I can’t fit a second in my sump.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two. This way any issues can easily be managed without much stress. Additionally the battery backup on my system can easily run a single pump for 2 hours without issues.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back