Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on adding one of these AC Infinity in line fans (https://acinfinity.com/hvac-home-ve...h-temperature-and-humidity-controller-6-inch/), will have an intake above the fish tank, and an exhaust to outside.

The AC infinity ducting is lined with Alluminum foil (https://acinfinity.com/hvac-home-ve...lexible-four-layer-ducting-25-ft-long-6-inch/), is there any concern of humid air from a saltwater tank corroding the Aluminum foil??
The only way for salt to reach the duct is by splashing. For example when bubbles pop, tiny droplets form and float around. These could be drawn up into the duct. Over time there will be some corrosion. Do you need to have the intake above the aquarium? Bathroom fans are mounted in the ceiling..

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intake will be in the ceiling above.

probably 2’ between water and the ceiling
I would use this. If I was nervous about corrosion, I could inspect the pipe lining once a year or so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't the duct work leading outside be wiped down with petroleum jelly?

I'm not suggesting a thick coating, but just a shine of the interior surface.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in an area with high humidity, that won’t work. Any air Exhausted outside will be replaced with humid air from outside. This will be leakage, and could damage the structure, include insulation, wall switches and receptacles, from condensation. You would need something like a Honeywell Ventilation System. The VNT5150H1000 runs around 1K There are other manufacturers, AprilAire is one. You will need one with a desiccant exchanger to deal with the humidity.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it becomes a problem, one option is a mist separator--basically, a series of baffles with sharp turns so water droplets collide with the walls but air passes through.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect too much trouble with a 2' gap, but your idea to use plastic ducting in the inlet side should mitigate it pretty well. One thing I have noticed is that salt spray tends to collect dust and build up a thick layer over time, could the fan be positioned were the intake tube could be replaced if necessary down the road? Maybe some sort of inlet filter at the ceiling?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hvac duct in the ceiling above my tank with about 2-3’ of open space between it and the duct and the grill on it has started to corrode. So I’d say there is definitely a good possibility of corrosion on it.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hvac duct in the ceiling above my tank with about 2-3’ of open space between it and the duct and the grill on it has started to corrode. So I’d say there is definitely a good possibility of corrosion on it.
You can't beat real experience, looks like some steps should be taken to not ingest the "salt air".

Can you locate the intake further from the tank? Maybe a cheap furnace filter behind a plastic grill?

I'm watching this discussion as I have a similar issue for my future "big" tank build.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to place the AC Infinity fan in the fish room, easily accessible, and then run the plastic duct in a crawl space above the tank, and use a plastic ceiling vent in the ceiling. Should eliminate corrosion in the hard to get to places, might end up seeing some corrosion on the fan itself and the alluminum foil lined hose on the exhaust side, those areas can easily be replaced though.

I think I could still access the plastic hose and vent and do a very infrequent (I hope) cleaning.

I ordered all the parts and going to play with it next week, I’ll update with what I find.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to spend a little extra, you could buy PVC Inline fan for Radon Gas. They are very Corrosion Resistant. I don’t recommend the Tjernlund, as they are noisy and not as corrosion resistant.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on adding one of these AC Infinity in line fans (https://acinfinity.com/hvac-home-ve...h-temperature-and-humidity-controller-6-inch/), will have an intake above the fish tank, and an exhaust to outside.

The AC infinity ducting is lined with Alluminum foil (https://acinfinity.com/hvac-home-ve...lexible-four-layer-ducting-25-ft-long-6-inch/), is there any concern of humid air from a saltwater tank corroding the Aluminum foil??
you can also use a dehumidifier

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back