Dumb noob mistakes I've made so far!

squidzilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, here's the body count from my first few weeks as a reefer. I'm sure there are plenty more errors I've made, but these are the ones that first come to mind.

*not cleaning the debris from my Biocube's chamber 3 before getting the pump running, and then enjoying the clouds of garbage that would spew out at random

*filling my Biocube through chamber 1/2 and getting PLUMES of debris billowing through my return vents

*not dipping my frags, then looking at frags under magnification and seeing the horrors that were present

*not thoroughly rinsing my hands before using my phone. Salt water isn't shy about reminding you where it's been.

*weighing salt in an area where the inevitable spilled cup was a borderline emergency, instead of a barely problematic nuisance

*thinking that I could calibrate my refractometer with RODI water instead of 35ppt solution

*thinking that I could calibrate my refractometer with Nutri-Seawater, and then simply matching my water mix to that value

*thinking that my tap water---though a respectable 39 ppm--would suffice as my water source and not induce prolific levels of diatoms and GHA

I'll inevitably be adding posts to this thread...hopefully not soon!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back