Dumb question about aquarium heaters.

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established 10 gallon fowler tank with a 50 watt heater. I also have a 10 gallon tropical and a 6.5 gallon betta tank, both have heaters (50 watt) running. I currently have a 20 gallon fowler cycling, with a 100 watt heater running.

Dumb question coming. I'm in a warm climate so in the summer, they are running but never on as all are preset to 78 degrees. So, when they are not running, do they generate less electricity? I can't seem to get a Google answer, all I read is aquarium heaters generate electricity. I'm thinking when they are off, the use "vampire" energy like many household appliances?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are not running they generate no electricity.

If it has an inline digital display or idicator light thats always on, it will draw a minimal amount of power while plugged in.

If in doubt or want to know how much anything draws in any state, buy one of these.

Marten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Near the Mt. that's Magic in Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most heaters with a built in thermometer will draw power since they need to check the temperature to activate on or off. There are mechanical heaters that don't draw power when they are off but I don't think they are used in saltwater tank (older heater technology). The heater will not pull the full wattage unless they are heating the aquarium.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of them that have an electronic controller would consume a small amount when off.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most heaters with a built in thermometer will draw power since they need to check the temperature to activate on or off. There are mechanical heaters that don't draw power when they are off but I don't think they are used in saltwater tank (older heater technology). The heater will not pull the full wattage unless they are heating the aquarium.
I have just cheapie, preset to 78, Aqueon heaters that came with the setup. They have no dials so I have floating thermometers. I do have a digital Boeespat in my big tank.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most like eheim jagers wont. Widely used in saltwater aquaria.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back