Duncan fell and now it won't reopen

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, but I've learned a lot from reading other posts on here over the past year. I was hoping I could get some help with my Duncan coral.

I've got a 260 gallon mixed reef tank. I bought this Duncan off someone a few months ago and within a day in my tank, it was open and doing great. Then about 2 weeks ago, a snail must have knocked it off. It was in the sand between the rocks for about a day to a day and a half before I noticed. As soon as I realized it wasn't where it was supposed to be, I glued it back in the exact same spot. After about a week and a half, it still hadn't reopened. It was originally in a higher flow area, so I thought maybe it was too much flow for it to open. So I moved it into a lower flow area. Now another week has gone by and it still hasn't opened. I've attached some before and after pictures. Below are my parameters as well. I appreciate any and all help!

Temp 81.3 degrees
Salinity 1.0265
Alk 8
Mg 1170
CA 475
Phos 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 7.8
20190916_195119.jpg
20190916_230405.jpg
20190916_230449.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. It's not getting smaller or falling apart or shedding parts. Some coral take time to get settled back down after being really annoyed!

Good luck.

BTW, welcome to Reef2Reef and don't be such a stranger!

welcome 5.jpg

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. It's not getting smaller or falling apart or shedding parts. Some coral take time to get settled back down after being really annoyed!

Good luck.

BTW, welcome to Reef2Reef and don't be such a stranger!

welcome 5.jpg
Thanks so much for your reply Ron. I'm just getting concerned because it's been almost a month since the Duncan closed up and it still hasn't opened. I don't ever see anything crawling on it or nipping at it so I'm not sure what it could be. It was doing so well until it fell. Should I maybe move it to an even lower light area of the tank? I don't want to keep moving it and annoying it even more than it already is.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

I agree with Ron, it’s mad at you right now and is throwing a fit. Well, that’s kinda what he said. Seriously, it can take a while after a tumble. It’s happened to most of us.

#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

I agree with Ron, it’s mad at you right now and is throwing a fit. Well, that’s kinda what he said. Seriously, it can take a while after a tumble. It’s happened to most of us.

#WelcometoR2R
I guess I just have to be patient....like everything else in this hobby lol. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I agree with the others that Duncan's can be temperamental. Your mag is a little low. Should probably get it up to around 1350. Good luck.

duane86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fell once before. It’s just in shock. Get a turkey baster and kinda blow the sand off it. And super glue it wherever you want it to go. It will be fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are tough and it should recover within 48 hrs

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it again a low position to see if something happens

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it again a low position to see if something happens
I actually haven't moved it in almost 3 weeks. It was higher up as seen in the pictures I posted, after it fell, I put it right back where it was. It didn't reopen after a week, so I moved it lower down, just to the left of the chalice frag in the second and third picture I posted. It's been there for the past 3 weeks and no change.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back