Duncan owners/fans....post your pics and also a couple questions...advice appreciated.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Duncan here is growing like a weed (happily), even through the trials its had in the past battling my sometime wandering LTA. This the cause of those rather crooked looking tentacles. It has latched onto this rock, solid over the last year or so, previous in the sandbed.
So, as you can see the Xenia is encroaching...Will it sting this Xenia away ? Can they co- exist, or should I frag off the Xenia best I can? Also, this Dunc has probably 30 heads now, many shaded , frag it off? And how do you frag them with minimal damage? Looking at this as a potential big mess down the road,maybe even now already. I do love my Xenia so not getting rid of it, just want to control it. My LFS will take my frags on trade in. Any advice greatly appreciated.
20210702_193713.jpg
20210702_193327.jpg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duncans are new and small, and still adjusting. I’ve had them 3 weeks maybe. They are the pickiest of my corals so far (all easy). It doesn’t take much to make them close up.

I’ll be following your thread, as I also have pulsing xenia and might face the same dilemma as you one day.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duncans are new and small, and still adjusting. I’ve had them 3 weeks maybe. They are the pickiest of my corals so far (all easy). It doesn’t take much to make them close up.

I’ll be following your thread, as I also have pulsing xenia and might face the same dilemma as you one day.
Are your Xenia on an island or fairly close to the main structure like mine? I found my Duncan was incredibly moody for a good month or two, then it exploded. My tank was nitrate difficient, since I dumped the skimmer and allowed to get up around 5ppm it is exploding. I was stripping too much with a good amount of softies, shrooms, Kenya etc. My Kenya is now manageable, my Xenia, not so much lol.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had my Duncan sting anything in my old tank. I had my “The Thing” hanging over it and never an issue.

1A79D86D-5FE8-4D3C-AB9F-837C4D271E57.jpeg
What is 'the thing' ??? Do tell....beauty Dunc btw. My Duncan was forced into war with the LTA one day, to my horror waking up....I love both, rock/ hard place, thankfully LTA has located a good 2 feet away for now.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your Xenia on an island or fairly close to the main structure like mine?
I have three of them and each is on it’s tiny little island. But my tank is small (13.5 EVO) so eventually when they grow the xenia might eventually touch the duncans.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back