Duncan retracted

ainswokp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have posted here about my 3 gallon fluval a couple times and received great feedback. My current issue is with a Duncan coral that looked great for the first week we had it and not more often than not looks like the picture attached With tentacles fully retracted.

my parameters are 78 F, 1.027 salinity, 8.1 pH, 10 dKH, 10 ppm nitrate, 0 phosphate, 500 calcium. I have two theories on this.

First, I have purposely let the nutrients creep up a bit as I conquered algae and added the corals. Wondering if the increase in nitrate as I started feeding reef roids twice a week caused this.

Second, it is relatively close to an octospawn. Both are very small frags. This tank is really just a temporary trial until we upgrade. I don’t think it is stinging the Duncan because the octo is retracted at night, but I suppose it’s possible it is happening. The odd thing is when the lights are off when I wake up, the Duncan appears totally extended. Once the lights come on it ends up like this, even when it’s at 5% color and intensity for the first few hours.

We got the tank on a cycle this week with a new kessil controller, we are using a kessil a80 tuna blue. The schedule runs for 11 hours and ramps up to 50% intensity at the highest point. Maybe this is the Duncan adjusting to the new schedule and I should just leave it?

hammer, octo, bam bam zoas all fully open and doing well. I’m leaving them on the frag plugs/plates because I don’t know how soon this upgrade is happening. Maybe sooner rather than later given what a rollercoaster the 3 gallon has been.

4F750957-85CB-4C5B-AF51-A8EC57F4B95B.jpeg
2CF32FEE-5602-4C81-89F9-1BA9D0A11EB7.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been retracted?
Duncan’s are somewhat aggressive and love to eat meaty mysis and brine,

my Duncan’s are preventing Cyphastra from coming to close.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has he ever been extended with lights on?
How long have you had this piece

Retracts when lights come on, opens when lights are out....is that correct?

describe your light...

OP
OP
A

ainswokp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Kessil a80 tuna blue. Cycle runs for 11 hours, Peak intensity is 50%

OP
OP
A

ainswokp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update that by moving this Duncan down as far as I could in such a small tank, and giving it a bit more flow, it has been doing a lot better. Also, as this is a a axifuga, it seems like the tentacles will be a bit stubbier than other varieties by nature.

3118445F-388D-4E7A-8340-61B5C38235CA.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back