Dungsl1nger's Red Sea Reefer 250 COVID Build

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted a reef tank since the late 1990's, well something always got in the way whether it was lack of money, moving or military deployment, I could never get to a point where I was ready to jump in. That changed in October 2019 when I saw my first Green Mandarin so I started looking at starter tanks like the BioCube 32. I soon found Reef2Reef and seeing the member tanks, I felt the BioCube was too small. I then decided if I am going to do it I would go to 125-150 gallons to allow me a greater fish selection, but with a crawl space and COVID-19 breaking, I again changed my mind and went with the Red Sea Reefer 250 deluxe from @Bulk Reef Supply. I feel it is a big enough to be stable but small enough I have a place for it after I overbuild my floor.

Here is the Tank set up for cycle nothing special here. I used Bio-Sipra and ammonia to cycle the tank for 6 weeks before putting in 2 clowns. In the sump I had a Red Sea Reefer Rsk 300 Skimmer, Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 for a return pump, and flow comes from one MP40. I also got a refugium Starter Pack from @AlgaeBarn to populate the tank with Copepods.

Current look.
42CA7203-5264-4984-9C3B-9B66E90D9179.jpeg

Cycle look.
Tank at cycle.jpg

sump before.jpg

I wanted a refugium for pods but I wanted it after the skimmer, which was the main problem I had with the Red Sea sump. I suppose I could have went with a smaller skimmer but who knows as the tank grows I could be doing this in 2 years due to bio load once the tank is stocked.

After looking at all the available options for sumps, I chose to go with the Fiji Cube Fiji-24 inch 2nd gen advanced reef sump due to the foot print and features, the Trigger Systems Sapphire 26 was on the list but not in stock and a bit more expensive. I also chose to go with a new return pump, so I picked up a Reef Octopus VarioS 4 pump. ATO duties will now be covered by a Tunze Osmolator 3155. Finally, I got all my PVC, and connections again through Bulk Reef Supply with the exception of the Red Sea part number 42221.

Fiji sump 24 new.jpg
New parts.jpg

Now that I all of the parts together it is time to run the pipe, simple right? Nope, because the return is all the way on the far right my initial plans did not work out, without using an excessive amount of pipe, but it worked out. This did make it impossible to use unions and in the end I over ordered a lot. The Blue is the 1 inch, drain pipes and the grey is the return.

Dry fit from the bulkheads to the sump.

Dry Fit.jpg

Dry fit inside the return chamber.

return dry fit.jpg

Assembled pipes.

Pipes dry fit.jpg

The Main drain was assembled with
1- RS #42221
1- 3⁄4” Schedule 80 Male Pipe Adapter
1 inch blue pvc, and 3/4 pvc
1 -Schedule 80 Reducing Coupler 1” Slip x 3⁄4” Slip
1- 1 inch gate valve
2 -1 inch 90 degree elbows

The emeregency drain consists of
1- RS #42221
1 inch blue pvc and 3/4 pvc
2 - 1 inch 90 degree elbows

The return drain is
1- RS #42221
3/4 grey pvc
3 - 3/4 inch 90 degree elbows
1 Fiji bulkhead

In the sump
1 inch union attached to the pump
1inch blue and 3/4 grey pvc
2 - 1 inch 90 degree elbows
Flow switch and flow switch mount.

Finished wet sump
finished sump.jpg

I took the socks out and chose to use the tray that came with the Sump. I used some mesh to keep the carbon from falling through the holes. I am going to see how this works to clean up the display. I also have poly-fil to try in the near future. I am also open to suggestions.

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

Wet sump, with flow switch mounted, not quiet there, I am getting erratic pump operation with the switch in operation. I may need to raise the water level another 1/4 inch. You cannot see it in the photos but the pump is a tight fit in this sump.

return finished.jpg
mount.jpg

My current ATO solution is the Red Sea ATO Container and the Tunze ATO Osmolator 3155 set off to the side.

I also ended up having to build a skimmer stand out of acrylic and 2 inch pic coupling.

IMG_0344.jpg

April 21 update, I had trouble growing Chaeto so I decided to upgrade from a cheap led light to a Kessil H80 Tuna Flora. I chose this light because of its size and the internet seems to like it. I chose to mount it to the sump, which required me to modify the mount. I used a band saw to notch the mount and make room for the power cord.
IMG_0457.jpeg

I then utilized a zip tie and a small C-clamp to hold it in place.

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

It is current set on grow and at 85% intensity.

Currently, I have
Blue Mandarin Goby
2 clowns
Bristletooth tomini tang
Chalk Bass
McCosker Flasher Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
Tiger pistol shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
2 mithrax crabs
Assorted snails

Corals
Favia
Zoas
Birstnest
Florida mushroom
Jack O’lantern LPS
Frogskin Acapora

Thank you for looking, and feel free to comment.

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and clean! How is the water noise over by the carbon?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I barely notice it running now that i got it set correctly when the house is quiet and I am running the Varios 4 on the high end of normal shooting for some flow.
I definitely like the way you have the carbon basket setup. I'm going have to look into doing something similar on the Waterbox. Do you have anything under the return pump like a pad or is it just sitting on top of the acrylic?

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely like the way you have the carbon basket setup. I'm going have to look into doing something similar on the Waterbox. Do you have anything under the return pump like a pad or is it just sitting on top of the acrylic?

It is just sitting on the acrylic, the feet are rubber pads and there is minimal slack in the return line so the pump doesn’t really move around. All the noise I hear is the water coming out of the return and clashing with the water from the power head.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ORA Blue Mandarin, Emerald crab, hermits, and snails. The Mandarin and the hermits are extremely tiny. So to give them a fighting chance I chose to put it in a 6.7 gallon tank I will use for observation. I have a feeling that my 3-3.5 inch Pink Spotted Goby has been picking off my smaller red tip Hermits. I think this is happening because I now have 3 more empty shells than I started with and he is not eating his frozen food.

bD.jpg

The dragonette is in the back corner, the Hermits are dark spots on the cream sand.
dragonette.jpg

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a little update, display tank has been dark for 2 days because of GHA. The display tank has been running for about 2 months.

I have lost 10 snails I put in on Thursday. This may my fault, I didn't research snails very well and ordered margarita snails. I have also lost 3 super tiny blue hermits. I think they were DOA on arrival but can't prove it. Finally, My Pink Spotted Goby decided to take flight Saturday morning. Some how I found him before my dogs did.

Next steps:
After looking around at pod and Phyto culturing I decided to go with Poseidon Reef Systems set up. I figured time is more important to me than the savings of building a DIY system.

The last thought is how long do I want to wait out the GHA? Right now I only have a clown 8 crabs and about 17 snails. No corals are in this tank yet.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just received and set up the Poseidon Reef Systems copepod culture system for feeding my mandarin. I chose this more expensive route because I didn't want to piece together another two systems (Pods and Phyto). This one is compact, I think the quality is excellent, it is expandable, if I chose to not use the bags in the future it is easier to clean then the compartmentalized 10 gallon tank I have seen used. I am also running out of space for unsightly buckets. As pods cultivate I have stocked with Algaebarn live brine, and 5280 pods, and Can O'Cyclops. By time the Mandarin gets to be 1 inch and a half I will have 5 months of pods being bred and topped up through self stocking in my display tank.

Phyto.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger you can get small rubber mats to put under / around pumps, reactors and such if they're a tight fit and vibrate on the sides of the sump at Bulk Reef Supply. Off to a great start, see my build thread I have a Reefer 250 too !!!

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger are you asking if the rubber mats will be safe for the Mandarin? Absolutely, no hash chemicals to leach at all.

Ahh ok, at present all is silent, this build came out better then I could have imagined. I will certainly check yours out, I probably already have when I was tank shopping and was plowing through build threads. . Thank you for the comments.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this update, I have added some livestock.
A Lawnmower Blenny and my Blue Mandarin (who is growing well)
B22FC6B0-F2A0-4335-9CBB-F9F468FCE205.jpeg

I also added this Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris, Green Ricordea Florida Mushroom
88D42E3C-1F1A-4B42-AB31-B07E6955BE4A.jpeg

For flow I added another MP40

Finally, I am trying to decide my next move... dosers.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I did a rip clean and cleaned a lot of green hair algae out of the sand and a good amount off the rock. I feed a little heavy . Additionally I removed a lot of sand. I started with the recommended 60 pounds and it was too think for my liking.

During the rip clean I lost a baby Emerald crab and found out I lost about 7 hermits. I may start looking at an urchin for the rocks, my Lawnmower Blenny is not eating fast enough.

CEA0947D-7061-4623-9A05-82D25ED9A796.jpeg

This is with no lights.

Still looking for one more show type fish. My coral beauty spends a lot of time hiding.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back