OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1E3744CC-464A-439F-BEA7-0DEEFB599647.jpeg

The purple rock is the KP, the green is the dry rock.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger I like it. Did you have it shipped ground or to your airport?

UPS, the nearest airport is Baltimore, it’s a 2 hour drive, not fun round trip because Maryland drivers are terrible. I think KP is now sending rock in water as opposed to wet paper towels like mine was sent.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update, nothing new hardware wise.

I have can’t find my second Diamond goby and removed a terrorist Coral Beauty Angel fish.

Additionally I added a small bristletooth tang, Chalk bass and McCosker flasher Wrasse.

This means currently I have
2 clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
McCosker flasher Wrasse
Chalk bass
Bristletooth tang
And a fat Blue Mandarin

So far the Klir Di-4 is working well and the GHL equipment has been flawless since getting the bugs worked out.

Finally, I’m finding some bristle worms that have appear to possibly be and orange wire warm.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger you have orange bristle worms? I know a lot of wrasses will eat bristle worms whether you want them to or not.

Did you have any problems with the Klir? I think early on the were shipping with bad controllers but I think the issue was fixed. I've read of some people contacting Coralvue with Klir problems and CV just sent them out new controller units. I've had my for several months but haven't installed it yet, fingers crossed.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger you have orange bristle worms? I know a lot of wrasses will eat bristle worms whether you want them to or not.

Did you have any problems with the Klir? I think early on the were shipping with bad controllers but I think the issue was fixed. I've read of some people contacting Coralvue with Klir problems and CV just sent them out new controller units. I've had my for several months but haven't installed it yet, fingers crossed.

I am looking to add a yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) ASAP.

I read the whole Klir thread and saw the changes made. Mine has worked flawlessly since I got it setup correctly and I’m very happy with it so far. I did get mine in early December so I think it has all the changes made. It’s been great and the tank water looks great. I hope you have the same result out of the box!

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s update. Received my yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). Still debating on reintroducing the coral beauty angel back in to the DT. As long as I don’t lose anymore fish I will have stocked the tank to my limit. Next will be to start adding more coral.

She is a decent size.
2FC13F00-8A70-405E-8006-6E7ED00FEADE.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) ASAP.

I read the whole Klir thread and saw the changes made. Mine has worked flawlessly since I got it setup correctly and I’m very happy with it so far. I did get mine in early December so I think it has all the changes made. It’s been great and the tank water looks great. I hope you have the same result out of the box!
@DungSl1nger nice score on the Wrasse! Could you post the link to the Klir thread? I did a search and found one but it was old.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger nice score on the Wrasse! Could you post the link to the Klir thread? I did a search and found one but it was old.

As requested.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral update I have really come to like Zoas. So today I received the following from @Zoanthids:

Mohawk Paly
Rasta
Gobstopper
Mary Jane
Blow Pop
a freebie, which I am interested in finding out what it turns out to be.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As requested.

As requested.

@DungSl1nger I don’t have time to read 24 pages. Maybe you could help me. Was Coralvue shipping Klirs with bad parts? Are they still replacing those parts? How is their customer service handling these issues?

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger I don’t have time to read 24 pages. Maybe you could help me. Was Coralvue shipping Klirs with bad parts? Are they still replacing those parts? How is their customer service handling these issues?

The early ones had motors that were a little weak, that was fixed with a stronger motor. They also had a controller issue if I recall but it was fixed as well. As far as customer support. They have been doing very well and responsive on this site.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After roughly 6 months I have come to dislike the the Fiji cube 24 Gen 2 sump. I want and need a reliable refugium to keep the tank replenished with pods for my fat mandarin.The issue with this sump is the floating Macroalgae rolls right over the acrylic divider in to my return pump and ultimately the display. I have talked to Fiji Cube about this issue they said the would pass it on to the design team. This was six months ago.

This issue has led me to look in to new sumps and I am thinking of going to the triton method. If you are reading this and doing the triton method with the required sump size please let me know how you like it.

Additionally, something in my tank is eating my zoas over night. I have lost 4 whole polyps in two nights. To narrow it down I made a frag rack to get it off the sand and rock away from the crabs. If they anymore disappear I’ll know it’s not the crabs and then looking at fish or something else.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After roughly 6 months I have come to dislike the the Fiji cube 24 Gen 2 sump. I want and need a reliable refugium to keep the tank replenished with pods for my fat mandarin.The issue with this sump is the floating Macroalgae rolls right over the acrylic divider in to my return pump and ultimately the display. I have talked to Fiji Cube about this issue they said the would pass it on to the design team. This was six months ago.

This issue has led me to look in to new sumps and I am thinking of going to the triton method. If you are reading this and doing the triton method with the required sump size please let me know how you like it.

Additionally, something in my tank is eating my zoas over night. I have lost 4 whole polyps in two nights. To narrow it down I made a frag rack to get it off the sand and rock away from the crabs. If they anymore disappear I’ll know it’s not the crabs and then looking at fish or something else.
You could just add eggcrate cut to size and that would stop macroalgae from flowing into the return pump area. Cheap easy fix. I think BRS has the black eggcrate, lowes has the white.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DungSl1nger thanks for a heads up on the Klir. I will contact Coralvue.

As for you Zoanthids I would be on the lookout for Zoa eating nudibranchs also. I think your wrasse should be taking care of them.

The offender cleaned out 5 polyps last night between midnight and 10 am (the plug looks brand new now) The ones I left on the were cheap ones but have been in the tank untouched for 7 months. The ones I put in my quick build rack made it through the night.

This leads me to believe it’s one of the clean up crew I dip all the corals and I haven’t seen any hitch hikers while watching the past 2 days. This isn’t me saying it’s not possible to have them. I just haven’t seen them. If I have them I guess I will find out soon because the crabs or bristle worm can’t reach the frag rack.

OP
OP
DungSl1nger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just add eggcrate cut to size and that would stop macroalgae from flowing into the return pump area. Cheap easy fix. I think BRS has the black eggcrate, lowes has the white.

I did go to Lowe’s yesterday and didn’t see them. I am using sea lettuce due to the macro algae shortage so I don’t know if egg crate will even work. In the mean time I have a mesh bag with Seachem Matrix in the bottom hanging as a screen filter . Fiji could have went with the the overflow style teeth instead they just did a cut out. It looks nice but isn’t functional.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go to Lowe’s yesterday and didn’t see them. I am using sea lettuce due to the macro algae shortage so I don’t know if egg crate will even work. In the mean time I have a mesh bag with Seachem Matrix in the bottom hanging as a screen filter . Fiji could have went with the the overflow style teeth instead they just did a cut out. It looks nice but isn’t functional.
There is 31 available at our local Lowes in aisle 19 bay 11. Ceiling light panels $16.68 24"x48".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back