Duration of parasite threat in asymptomatic tank

luxfamchiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a powder blue tang to my tank. I have a couple of concerns however. I currently have a 240 gallon DT with a total system volume with refugium and sump of about 350 gallons. There are 4 tangs currently in the tank now. A blue hippo tang that I have had since 8/16, a sailfin since 11/16, a yellow since 4/18 and a naso since 2/2020.
The 3 tangs as well as a melanarus wrasse (3/17) and a royal gramma were moved into the current tank (8/15/2019) from my previous 125 gallon tank.
In the previous tank I had 2 powder blue tangs that succumbed to parasites and had a significant mortality event where I lost about 1/2 of the fish in a weeks time around 1/1/2018. This happens to coincide with a power supply failure to my pentair 40 watt UV sterilizer which has been repaired and has been on both tanks since 2016.
I have not observed any signs of disease or parasites on any of the fish in the current tank. Everything has been quite healthy as a matter of fact.
My question to is this:
If I add a powder blue tang to my current system will there still be parasites carried forward from my fish that were present during previous outbreaks in the old tank 2+ years ago that have not exhibited any symptoms since that time? In other words how many years of being asymptomatic would it take to consider them clean?

IMG_5231.jpeg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t do it Sailfin tangs are super territorial. Will cause issues with a power blue tang. Power Blues have a very thin mucus coating and that is why they get itch so bad when under stress.

OP
OP
L

luxfamchiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the potential for other species getting infected from the long ago survivors that seem healthy now but were exposed 2+ years ago.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back