Dusky fairy wrasse constipated and won’t eat

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my dusky fairy wrasse has been staying in the corner of my tank all day and has not eaten food witch is very out of character as he just attacked some mystis last night. I’m sure it has to do with him being constipated, as it looks to be a undigested mystis shrimp or a dead parisite. It was also water change day in my tank if that would have anything to do with it but all of my wrasses have been acting strange today as my melanarus wrasse is nowhere to be found after I saw her laying on rocks but was also eating and then disappeared a little earlier before the water change. Pics of the fairy wrasse below

Attachments

• 68090048750__80C008D7-734F-44AF-8840-30D8EC525A0C.MOV
    779.2 KB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

I'm awful at these but there seems to be something else going on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, my dusky fairy wrasse has been staying in the corner of my tank all day and has not eaten food witch is very out of character as he just attacked some mystis last night. I’m sure it has to do with him being constipated, as it looks to be a undigested mystis shrimp or a dead parisite. It was also water change day in my tank if that would have anything to do with it but all of my wrasses have been acting strange today as my melanarus wrasse is nowhere to be found after I saw her laying on rocks but was also eating and then disappeared a little earlier before the water change. Pics of the fairy wrasse below
Fish has what looks like bacterial tufts on its body and is breathing rapidly. Both point to water quality issues.
What is current ammonia and nitrate level ?
What is salinity and Ph of water ?
What foods are you feeding ? - This fish cannot get full nutrition if pellets alone and pelleted foods often cause digestive issues if not chewed down or too large for fish.
Treament for bacterial issue will be seachem Kanaplex in a quarantine setting. Ruby rally pro may also work

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish has what looks like bacterial tufts on its body and is breathing rapidly. Both point to water quality issues.
What is current ammonia and nitrate level ?
What is salinity and Ph of water ?
What foods are you feeding ? - This fish cannot get full nutrition if pellets alone and pelleted foods often cause digestive issues if not chewed down or too large for fish.
Treament for bacterial issue will be seachem Kanaplex in a quarantine setting. Ruby rally pro may also work
I bought the fish with the bacterial tufts and treatment worked quickly and they are going away. For diet it won’t touch flake/ pellet food and it eats frozen mystis like a pig. Ammonia is zero but I just had a nitrite spike witch is strange because the last time I tested was 12 days ago and all perameters were perfect (ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate was 5ppm)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the fish with the bacterial tufts and treatment worked quickly and they are going away. For diet it won’t touch flake/ pellet food and it eats frozen mystis like a pig. Ammonia is zero but I just had a nitrite spike witch is strange because the last time I tested was 12 days ago and all perameters were perfect (ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate was 5ppm)
Boiled peas has been suggested for this before.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If tank is newer, ammonia and nitrate spikes will occur
Diet for this fish is meaty hence the receptive reaction to mysis
Feed LRS fish frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, small plankton and chopped krill
If you feel constipation is an issue, boil a few peas and allow to cool, then feed inner meat to the fish

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tank is newer, ammonia and nitrate spikes will occur
Diet for this fish is meaty hence the receptive reaction to mysis
Feed LRS fish frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, small plankton and chopped krill
If you feel constipation is an issue, boil a few peas and allow to cool, then feed inner meat to the fish
Thanks for the advice, the tank is a year old and I was overdue for a water change and I took the carbon out. The poop passes and he’s eating agian. Also going to pick up some better antibacterial medication as well as that food. Thanks for your help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the advice, the tank is a year old and I was overdue for a water change and I took the carbon out. The poop passes and he’s eating agian. Also going to pick up some better antibacterial medication as well as that food. Thanks for your help!
For bacterial- ruby rally pro or seachem kanaplex, and even maracyn 2

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

This is much more serious than constipation!
The fish is breathing WAY too fast.
The feces hanging out is mucus
With those two symptoms, that could be there is some major systemic infection going on here.

What other fish are in the tank?
You say this fish began feeding again?
Is it still breathing rapidly?

Jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

This is much more serious than constipation!
The fish is breathing WAY too fast.
The feces hanging out is mucus
With those two symptoms, that could be there is some major systemic infection going on here.

What other fish are in the tank?
You say this fish began feeding again?
Is it still breathing rapidly?

Jay
The other fish in my tank are my melanarus wrasse and China wrasse, some damsels and clowns, 2 angelfish. He is eating like a pig again every time I put in food he’s the first one to it. I haven’t seen any poops like that from him before so I was thinking dead parasite? The fish was breathing rapidly I believe because he was stressed as when he was passing that poop he did not move from the corner of the tank and the previously mentioned nitrite spike that I had (witch is now fixed, the number has gone down after a water change and a filter cleaning) I also had an oxygen problem yesterday that made all of my fish have elevated breathing. Here’s a pick of him now

Attachments

• 68097356186__585E2486-7607-4288-BA0E-26E05481BE1A.MOV
    773.3 KB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish in my tank are my melanarus wrasse and China wrasse, some damsels and clowns, 2 angelfish. He is eating like a pig again every time I put in food he’s the first one to it. I haven’t seen any poops like that from him before so I was thinking dead parasite? The fish was breathing rapidly I believe because he was stressed as when he was passing that poop he did not move from the corner of the tank and the previously mentioned nitrite spike that I had (witch is now fixed, the number has gone down after a water change and a filter cleaning) I also had an oxygen problem yesterday that made all of my fish have elevated breathing. Here’s a pick of him now

The fish is still breathing too hard, not sure why though. Add more direct aeration to the tank, see if that helps.

Jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is still breathing too hard, not sure why though. Add more direct aeration to the tank, see if that helps.

Jay
Ok will do. That’s it’s normal breathing rate witch I found strange but never questioned because he interacts with the other fish and eats great

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do. That’s it’s normal breathing rate witch I found strange but never questioned because he interacts with the other fish and eats great

It may be how that fish has been breathing for you, but it isn't normal for the species. You shouldn't see such obvious opening and closing of the gills, and the rate should be less than 120 gill beats per minute. From your video, I measured it at 240 bpm, which is really fast.

Jay

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be how that fish has been breathing for you, but it isn't normal for the species. You shouldn't see such obvious opening and closing of the gills, and the rate should be less than 120 gill beats per minute. From your video, I measured it at 240 bpm, which is really fast.

Jay
Ok thanks for the heads up I’ll try to bring that breath rate down

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back