Dwarf angel vs bristletooth tang for algae

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Im setting an aggressive tank up in a 70 gallon and moving my peaceful community to a 125 gallon.

I plan to have 2 maroon clowns, snowflake eel, and dwarf lionfish.

Problem is this tank is overrun with algae (hair) and stuff so Im needing another fish that can hang with these guys to put in to help with this. I was looking at a bristletooth tang or a coral beauty angelfish.

Just looking for suggestions! Ive got lots of rocks and lots of crevices and caves for all these guys to hide, just mainly looking for a good fish for algae! I have an urchin now and while he is doing so good he is getting his butt kicked and he needs help!

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for a species of Tang. They tend to be better at the grazing stuff and can tolerate aggresive tanks better than dwarf angelfish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 2 fish you mentioned, I'd recommend a bristletooth tang.
But I also recommend aggressive manual removal, additional cuc*, and addressing any overfeeding or other cause.
*One urchin in a 70 gallon tank is not even close to enough of an algae cuc.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I also recommend aggressive manual removal, additional cuc*, and addressing any overfeeding or other cause.
Yeah I know about the urchin, I was just seeing how he does in my tank first! And this eel is actually okay with inverts like hermits and big snails. This one never touched any of those but he has eaten some small fish weirdly enough.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface would work even better
I actually do have a tiny baby foxface, but she will go in the 125! Good to know she is a good grazer for that tank, thank you!! They just get to big for my 70, thats why I was looking into a bristletooth or dwarf angel

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Sounds like bristletooth would work better for the kind of tank I want! Now theres the question of which one… anyone have an idea? I was looking at a blue eye kole, two spot or a tomini tang since the yellow eye and white tail are sooooo expensive

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Sounds like bristletooth would work better for the kind of tank I want! Now theres the question of which one… anyone have an idea? I was looking at a blue eye kole, two spot or a tomini tang since the yellow eye and white tail are sooooo expensive
Whatever color you prefer; they're all about the same as far as their utility

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever color you prefer; they're all about the same as far as their utility
So been looking at the blue eyed/two spot bristle tooth. Theres so many images of different colors??? Like yellow/tan but then theres ones with a grey/blue and purple/red. Anyone know what the difference is? I like the more colorful one. Like is it juv colors vs adult or just different blue eyes?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been looking at the blue eyed/two spot bristle tooth. Theres so many images of different colors??? Like yellow/tan but then theres ones with a grey/blue and purple/red. Anyone know what the difference is? I like the more colorful one. Like is it juv colors vs adult or just different blue eyes?
If its anything like the white tail bristletooth the light tan means it's a juvi. With the color being red or black is just luck.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its anything like the white tail bristletooth the light tan means it's a juvi. With the color being red or black is just luck.
Oh interesting. What is the normal color for adults do you know?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting. What is the normal color for adults do you know?
Not really sure. All I know is that they get dark and the amount of red is random. At my lfs I was able to pick up a 4+inch white tail and he has a lot of red. I don't have a picture right now but mine looks similar to the one with more red. The other one is nearly all black so I think it's just luck when you get a juvi.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 22

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure. All I know is that they get dark and the amount of red is random. At my lfs I was able to pick up a 4+inch white tail and he has a lot of red. I don't have a picture right now but mine looks similar to the one with more red. The other one is nearly all black so I think it's just luck when you get a juvi.
R2r died on me so have to send the second picture like this.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 19

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two spot/blue eye does change color a bit depending on mood and lighting. In my previous tank (with AI Hydras) it was darker -more lavender/purple and red - but in my new tank (T5s and LEDs) it's lighter, more orange/tan. I'd say pick one out in person if you can.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two spot/blue eye does change color a bit depending on mood and lighting. In my previous tank (with AI Hydras) it was darker -more lavender/purple and red - but in my new tank (T5s and LEDs) it's lighter, more orange/tan. I'd say pick one out in person if you can.
Regardless, they are beautiful fish :)

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I will for sure try to pick one out myself! I just dont like their tan color but knowing they grow into a different color is cool!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back