Dwarf Angels or Butterflyfish in 55G Long FOWLR

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to stock my FOWLER. It's 55 gallon, 4' X 1' X 2'

The first fish/CUC have been in for about a week (2 blue/green chromis, 2 hermit crabs). I'm thinking now about my next purchase to put in quarantine -- I figure by the time my tank has fully stabilized and the fish acclimated I'll be ready to add round 2.

I don't want to stock fish who will get too large or won't thrive in the tank, and I've been seeing/getting conflicting information on the Coral Beauty Angel (captive raised) and the Spotband Butterflyfish. LFS says both can work so long as I follow the 1" adult size per gallon rule, and the info I've seen on line ranges from 36 to 75 gallon tanks for each. I'm looking for a generally peaceful tank (I know the Angel can sometimes be a bully), and am fine with a relatively light stocking. I know down the line I want a Mandarin Dragonet (captive raised) and am working to build a copepod population. I'm also thinking I'd like a pair of clownfish (captive raised preferred), a perching fish like a yellow clown goby, and maybe 2-3 other fishes (a small wrasse and a Blue Spotted Puffer are my top ideas today).

Could have I both the angel and butterfly in a tank like this? Only one? Neither?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would say dwarf angels but they don’t play nice with each other whereas butterflies will but require more space

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every intelligent fish comes with some risk, and angelfish fall into that group. I've never had a problem with aggression from any of my angels, though, although one or two of them have been pretty bossy. My coral beauty got along beautifully with a flameback angel in a 40g cube; my multicolor is the big boss of the 65g it shares with a ticiben, but there's no fighting between them. In other words, it can work out, but it's always best to have an alternate plan if things don't work out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say dwarf angels but they don’t play nice with each other whereas butterflies will but require more space
Thanks! I think what I'm most concerned with is if either fish will thrive in a 55G because I'm getting such conflicting information. I've done the calculus that I found on this site (https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.801/) and from there it seems like the butterfly I'm interested in will work in a 55G, but that's assuming no other fish.
The tanks you've shown are beautiful but they're all a lot bigger -- at least twice as big as what I'm working with. I know if I even had a 75G it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every intelligent fish comes with some risk, and angelfish fall into that group. I've never had a problem with aggression from any of my angels, though, although one or two of them have been pretty bossy. My coral beauty got along beautifully with a flameback angel in a 40g cube; my multicolor is the big boss of the 65g it shares with a ticiben, but there's no fighting between them. In other words, it can work out, but it's always best to have an alternate plan if things don't work out.
I'm curious -- how much other stock do you have in the 40G cube and the 65G? That's where I'm having the issue. I mean, if either the dwarf or butterfly was solo I wouldn't be as worried, but I'd like a handful of other fish in there.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious -- how much other stock do you have in the 40G cube and the 65G? That's where I'm having the issue. I mean, if either the dwarf or butterfly was solo I wouldn't be as worried, but I'd like a handful of other fish in there.
40IM: reduced to a filefish and a molly miller blenny, due to a bleach disaster last week (I didn't do it myself!) It formerly had:

sulphur damsel
flametail blenny
pygmy geometric perchlet
coral beauty
flameback angel
royal gramma

65g:

multicolor angel
keyhole angel
two orchid dottybacks
chiseltooth wrasse
Lubbock's fairy wrasse

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think what I'm most concerned with is if either fish will thrive in a 55G because I'm getting such conflicting information. I've done the calculus that I found on this site (https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.801/) and from there it seems like the butterfly I'm interested in will work in a 55G, but that's assuming no other fish.
The tanks you've shown are beautiful but they're all a lot bigger -- at least twice as big as what I'm working with. I know if I even had a 75G it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
While I do follow that thread as well, it’s important to keep in mind your tank dimensions. A full grown butterfly will have at most only twice it’s body length to turn around. Depending on the butterfly it might be less than that. You would be better off going with a dwarf Angel or two

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40IM: reduced to a filefish and a molly miller blenny, due to a bleach disaster last week (I didn't do it myself!) It formerly had:

sulphur damsel
flametail blenny
pygmy geometric perchlet
coral beauty
flameback angel
royal gramma

65g:

multicolor angel
keyhole angel
two orchid dottybacks
chiseltooth wrasse
Lubbock's fairy wrasse
Oh I'm so sorry! That's got to be heartbreaking.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I trust 2-3 butterflies in a 55g . Keep the total fish with the butterflies to about 6 and a bottom dweller .
You must assure good water quality ( invest in Good test kits) and good diet especially since butterflies can be susceptible to bacterial disease

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I happen to have a coral beauty and flame in same tank but considered luck

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do follow that thread as well, it’s important to keep in mind your tank dimensions. A full grown butterfly will have at most only twice it’s body length to turn around. Depending on the butterfly it might be less than that. You would be better off going with a dwarf Angel or two
Monantk can you clarify? I'm looking at the Spotband Butterfly as my potential first choice, and it says the maximum size is 5" (likely smaller in captivity). I've been looking at Wrasses also that get to that same size and they're saying they're fine for a 55G. Commence noob confusion!

gwainrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of coral beauties and a pair of flame angels in a 180..also have a semi lavartus butterfly.. all get along great. I have had multiple pairs of coral beauties over the years..

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monantk can you clarify? I'm looking at the Spotband Butterfly as my potential first choice, and it says the maximum size is 5" (likely smaller in captivity). I've been looking at Wrasses also that get to that same size and they're saying they're fine for a 55G. Commence noob confusion!
Think of the dimensions. The tank is only 1ft wide. The butterfly would only have 7” of additional space to turn around which may cause stress. If the tank was 24” wide it would have almost 5x its body length to turn around

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of the dimensions. The tank is only 1ft wide. The butterfly would only have 7” of additional space to turn around which may cause stress. If the tank was 24” wide it would have almost 5x its body length to turn around
No, I understand that part -- where my confusion stems from is active swimmers at the same max size that are said to be "safe" at 55G. I've had the Yellow Wrasse on my "possible" list, for instance. It gets to a maximum size of 5"-6" and is recommended for a 50G. Does it have to do with the individual species body flexibility -- wrasses bend more easily?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I understand that part -- where my confusion stems from is active swimmers at the same max size that are said to be "safe" at 55G. I've had the Yellow Wrasse on my "possible" list, for instance. It gets to a maximum size of 5"-6" and is recommended for a 50G. Does it have to do with the individual species body flexibility -- wrasses bend more easily?
I think it’s just more so the degree they need to bend in order to turn. I feel like having to constantly make sharp turns can create pacing and stress the fish out. Similar reason why sharks need racetrack style tanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back