Dwarf Seahorse baby brine shrimp alternatives?

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!! Can any of my super intelligent folks here help me come up with an alternative to feeding dwarf seahorses daily brine shrimp?
I have a dedicated 8 gallon macroalgae lagoon aquarium with a 4 inch sandbed for my turtle grass. I had a decent population of pods growing before I introduced the seahorses which thrived for a few months. I kept repopulatong the tank with pods but the seahorses got just ahead of it. I started hatching bbs which was a nightmare in itself which led to an aptesia outbreak that I couldn't get ahead of thus the demise of the seahorses. The tank is now back on track and I'm ready to repopulate with the dwarfs but I REALLY don't want to set up the bbs hatchery again. Any thoughts other than weekly infusion of tisbe pods, amphipods and copepods. It got prohibitively expensive. Thank you and I very much look forward to hearing your ideas

aquarium_2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pods, cyclops and rotifiers

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problems did you have hatching baby brine. They are super easy for me to hatch. I keep two hatcheries going. And reset one every day. But that only takes 5 minutes.

I would try culturing a ton of pods. But I find brine shrimp easier than pods.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problems did you have hatching baby brine. They are super easy for me to hatch. I keep two hatcheries going. And reset one every day. But that only takes 5 minutes.

I would try culturing a ton of pods. But I find brine shrimp easier than pods.
Thanks but my wife can't stand the smell and it takes too long to do.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smell? We've never had an issue with the bbs culture having any odor at all. We just use two mason jars and a short length of airline tubing. Rinse alternating jars every other day with RODI and reset the culture with fresh water. We feed mostly bbs with some tiggers and tisbe snacks for some variety.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use 2 Ziss brine shrimp hatcheries (ziss blender).. hung on the wall with PVC... rotate one each day... the brine take 24 hours to hatch... other than it being a daily task feeding these guys its super easy... no smell UNLESS you leave the used container overnight before you rinse it.

I am going to try and propagate phyto and pods... but my luck has never been good.. we will see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back