Dwarf Seahorse Display Refugium (also known as the tank that made my partner realize I'm not stopping this hobby)

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seahorse.jpg

This has been a work in progress for a while, but I finally had two weeks of feeling well enough to devote energy to getting this set up. It shares a sump with my 10g reef and I plan to have more macro and a few gorgonians/other safe coral. I'm pretty happy with everything so far, though it will be a little bit before I'll be ready to get the livestock in it, but I'll update periodically :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice I have always wanted a SH tank. dwarfs are hard most if not all will recommend not to share the same water with fish, as SH are prone to bac. infections.

what about feeding are you hatching BBS?
love the idea keep us posted I am very curious to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice I have always wanted a SH tank. dwarfs are hard most if not all will recommend not to share the same water with fish, as SH are prone to bac. infections.

what about feeding are you hatching BBS?
love the idea keep us posted I am very curious to see how this turns out.

I will be hatching decapsulated bbs, and, I plan to research ways to mitigate the risk of disease while sharing the same water, but ultimately if it isn't in the cards, I have a sponge filter I can throw into the tank, or I can set up a second sump for this one :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be hatching decapsulated bbs, and, I plan to research ways to mitigate the risk of disease while sharing the same water, but ultimately if it isn't in the cards, I have a sponge filter I can throw into the tank, or I can set up a second sump for this one :)

keep us posted I really want to do the same or bigger SH some day.

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My partner bought me five dwarves before the tank was quite ready for them, but they seem to be doing well. It's still hooked into the bigger tank, but I have fans cooling the incoming water, the fans get it down to 74F and I bet with another set of fans I could get it cooler.

So far feeding enriched decapsulated baby brine from Algae barn. They will also take the decapsulated eggs on their own in a pinch, but I'm in the rhythm of hatching and enriching. Planning to upgrade my brine set up soon, but right now it's giving me ample supply, with most of the leftovers either washing down the overflow or being eaten by the gorgonians (which is super cool to watch.)

My plan is to do 1 gallon water changes every two days to keep the water quality up without totally stripping nutrients from the reef, but unfortunately I can't start out the gate with it due to the bryopsis treatment in the system. It makes me wish the timing had been better on getting stock, and have had a conversation with my partner about buying stuff for the tanks without talking to me first to make sure I've got everything ready.

More to come in the next few weeks :)

Attachments

• 20201118_211038.jpg
    20201118_211038.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201118_211200.jpg
    20201118_211200.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201118_211232.jpg
    20201118_211232.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201118_211538.jpg
    20201118_211538.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20201118_212240.jpg
    20201118_212240.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 48
  • dwarf pony full body shot.jpg
    dwarf pony full body shot.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 52

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seahorse.jpg

This has been a work in progress for a while, but I finally had two weeks of feeling well enough to devote energy to getting this set up. It shares a sump with my 10g reef and I plan to have more macro and a few gorgonians/other safe coral. I'm pretty happy with everything so far, though it will be a little bit before I'll be ready to get the livestock in it, but I'll update periodically :)
My wife wants to do this.

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wants to do this.
The set up was pretty easy, I plumbed both overflows down to a T connection to the sump, I did everything with 90* elbows , but I think 45s would have been a better choice to avoid any potential backflow (though I haven't had any noticeable backflow)

The Macro is mostly glued in place with little dabs of glue, and the sand is ultrafine oolite, which I'm still hemming and hawing about, but I'm due to get some carpeting Halimeda in the mail and at least one pencil cap so I'm happy to have a place to root those and add some green to the tank.

I did have to modify the overflow with a sponge and netting to prevent the ponies from hitching there, or getting sucked in by accident, even as low flow as the tank is.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My partner bought me five dwarves before the tank was quite ready for them, but they seem to be doing well. It's still hooked into the bigger tank, but I have fans cooling the incoming water, the fans get it down to 74F and I bet with another set of fans I could get it cooler.

So far feeding enriched decapsulated baby brine from Algae barn. They will also take the decapsulated eggs on their own in a pinch, but I'm in the rhythm of hatching and enriching. Planning to upgrade my brine set up soon, but right now it's giving me ample supply, with most of the leftovers either washing down the overflow or being eaten by the gorgonians (which is super cool to watch.)

My plan is to do 1 gallon water changes every two days to keep the water quality up without totally stripping nutrients from the reef, but unfortunately I can't start out the gate with it due to the bryopsis treatment in the system. It makes me wish the timing had been better on getting stock, and have had a conversation with my partner about buying stuff for the tanks without talking to me first to make sure I've got everything ready.

More to come in the next few weeks :)
Very nice, looks great

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rubymoon286 I love the tank especially once you got the gorgonians in. If not too much trouble, I would love a tank update! My wife has been asking me to do a beautiful display refugium with dwarf seahorses very similar to what you did here! Any insights into your build? Things you would have done differently? Challenges?

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah updates how did it all work out?
So far so good until the last few days. I lost several of the ponies while the heat was out along with a few other fish out of the main display. I'll try to get photos up here after I catch up with housework. Our power was spotty, but more on than off, but we had a gas valve issue, and had to go without heat monday and tuesday before someone finally came out wednesday evening to fix the gas valve on the furnace.

I've moved to a primary diet of copepods, while only feeding enriched bbs once a day, and they are growing up nicely. I still have 3 after the freeze (we're looking into a generator too so this never happens again) and I plan to buy another ten to go in the tank after everything settles down and we have consistently warm weather.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back