DX18 Hybrid Dimming controllers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share that we have tested and are using the following controllers to dim the DX18 hybrids.

• Both Apex and the Apex classic have been tested. The Apex Classic is operating on my 315 test tank in the office and the Apex we have been using at the consumers shows. Both have been working as we hoped and no surprises. We are using our Halo Apex cable #470398, its a stereo cable and supports the dual channels of the DX18 and plugs directly into the V1/V2 ports of the Apex.

• We just set up the GHL Profilux Mini this week too. Modified a 3.5 stereo cable to connect to the RJ11 jack and we are up and running as of yesterday. We have not had a chance to test the other GHL controllers but I can only imagine that they too would work the same as the Mini. If anyone needs I have the pin layout for the RJ11 or we can modify one of the Archon cables to a RJ11 for the Profilux.

• Lastly we have an Archon controller from DA that we have been using for years and it also was tested with the DX18 and no problems. We use our Halo Archon cable #470409 to connect to the controller and the fixture.

If there are any other suggestions on controllers we should look into, please let us know.

Want to thank Neptune Systems and GHL for their support in testing the controllers with the DX18.

@Terence and @Vinny@GHLUSA @Matthias Gross

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To control the dimmable T5s is the only option to get an apex or other complicated controller....I only want something to control the lights!

I'm not aware of a standalone programmable 0 - 10 dimming controller. In the past we installed controllers/timers in our lights and found that customers wanted to control the fixtures with their own controllers. So with this new design we opted to go with a fixture that could be controlled by the controllers widely used in the industry.

So far we have used Apex, GHL and Archon and all has been working well. We have been asked to test a few others but they have not been started yet. Will keep everyone posted.

Also, if any controller suggestions to test please let us know.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the kessil controllers works, then you can get that used for ~$50

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one here, let me do a test and see. My concern might be what is displayed on the controller. I believe they show color and intensity. In this case it would be inner lamps and outer lamps.

nonagon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Kessil controller works I will buy the new hybrid fixture immediately.

I do not own nor do I plan to buy an expensive, complex aquarium controller. This is the only reason I have not purchased this fixture.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Kessil controller works I will buy the new hybrid fixture immediately.

I do not own nor do I plan to buy an expensive, complex aquarium controller. This is the only reason I have not purchased this fixture.
I’m with you...if aquatic life is really interested in selling this product they will come up with something similar to the Kessil controller.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does not work. I'm looking to find out why. It was suggested to me that the Kessil controller may be a lower output and need additional parts.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didn't realize both threads were asking the same questions, I only answered the one below.

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 36” setup over an RSR 250 using the Var output of the Apex. I’m glad I splurged for the new dimmable version. Running it at 80% peak with Kessils at 60% peak. No corals yet as it’s a new tank but looking forward to having some soon. Anybody else with more experience with the intensity? I probably need to get a par meter soon.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I have the details attached from GHL on the pin configuration. As @Kyl mentioned we can make them too as needed. You can reach me at [email protected]

Let us know if any questions.

GHL IMG_2080.JPG GHL Pin placement.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys going to make a dimmable 61 inch would really like one of those
Sorry HEP the ballast supplier does not make a dimmable 80 watt ballast. We are going to be releasing this month a 61" X18 that has the DX18 housing but the standard ballast. It will be only in the 61" size.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back