DX18 Hybrid Dimming controllers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

andyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a bunch of testing with the Kessil controller and heres the thing. It sorta works and sorta doesn't.

1. The HEP ballast uses a sinking 0-10v setup.
The ballast provides the 10v and its up to the controller to reduce that voltage to something between 0-10v.

2. Kessil controller uses sourcing 0-10v setup.
Kessil controller provides the 0-10v signal and requires grounding.

So since the ground wire is connected to the HEP ballast 10v wire, and is not able to sink it to ground, the 0-10v signal input to the Ballast will never get low enough.
Here is the kicker, the output plug on the Kessil lights themselves are able to sink the wire closer to ground. Dimming actually works if you plug it to another kessil light. The color controllers the inside T5's, and the intensity controls the outside T5's.

There really is no such thing as a sourcing to sinking coverter. But I am investigating a voltage follower setup or something through an op-amp that will pass the voltage thru while able to sink the 10v to ground (from ballast).

I bet if aquatic life made this adapter, they could sell it as an accessory. would be a win for everyone (well except Neptune).

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just bought a dx18 48” and im having issue connecting to my Apex fusion this is my first time connecting lights to my apex, do i need to buy a different cord to connect to my apex to ramp the t5 up and down? i’m assuming that everything comes with it and just plug and play. @AquaticLifeProducts

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the Apex cable that goes to the male 3.5mm Stereo connection? We only include the female 3.5 stereo connection on the fixture to give customer a universal connector to other controllers. Apex, GHL and DA all have a different connector to their controllers.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Do you have the Apex cable that goes to the male 3.5mm Stereo connection? We only include the female 3.5 stereo connection on the fixture to give customer a universal connector to other controllers. Apex, GHL and DA all have a different connector to their controllers.
No and i didn’t know that i need to buy another cord for this expensive fixture. You guys should include that cable.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and i didn’t know that i need to buy another cord for this expensive fixture. You guys should include that cable.

There are many many ways to control dimmable lights. Cant expect them to just guess what you happen to be using.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would have to supply about 4-5 cables to support all controllers and other solutions on the market right now. In terms of the apex, most will use the gyre cable since it's already 3.5mm wired.

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 48" DX18 dimmable fixture and am setting it up tonight to hook up to my Apex or VDM module depending upon the answers to my questions. I have a kessil control cable-Type 1. Male stereo 3.5mm jack to rj45 jack. The wires are pin 3 green,pin4 red, pin 7 white, pin 8 black the rest are open. Will this work for the DX18 to VDM port? I also happen to have the 20' extension for the kessil controller with 2 stereo Jack's, it's a male to male cable. Would this also work? If so I would need to get an adapter to hook it to the kessil control cable if that works as well. The reason I ask is I cannot test the ones I already have till I get home if someone knows the answer and if they arent compatible I'll stop and get the needed ones. Thanks.

Jamezanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Just got a 36” setup over an RSR 250 using the Var output of the Apex. I’m glad I splurged for the new dimmable version. Running it at 80% peak with Kessils at 60% peak. No corals yet as it’s a new tank but looking forward to having some soon. Anybody else with more experience with the intensity? I probably need to get a par meter soon.
what cord did u used to dimmed the t5 output? im just bought a kessil cord to connect to my apex var. I hop this works.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the cables on our site and Marine and Reef should have them too. The Apex cables I have seen all have 4 wires but I'm not 100% sure what is required with the Apex. On our cord the ground is shared in the wire to both V1 and V2 on the ethernet cable.

Vegas Totenreich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder, would this controller work?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly I'm not familiar with the Bluefish products. I was told today that GHL has a controller specific to lighting and other 0 -10V items. Its the Profilux Light Mini Wi-Fi. It will still need a timer to turn the fixtures power off completely. As the Ballast are not off 100% at 0 volts input. Its $139.99 You could add a powerbar too, if you want it all in one unit.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using the Profilux mini Wi-Fi with the DX18 no problems, took a little for me to learn the controller but its up and running now.

The problem would be the width of the Mitras are wider then the space in the middle of the hybrid. We are looking to make a bracket for GHL that would allow it to mount like the attached photo. This would place the LED above the center section slightly but it would fit.

Bracket attached to fixture.jpg

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kyl, correct that will work for the original Hybrids.

The new DX18 dimmable are fixed width and the ends can not be changed out.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whops, yes, got the threads mixed up (thought this was in the original fixture thread). No moving the profiles on the DX series!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scanned around for the answer to this question, apologies if I missed it.

What is the maximum width tank you would recommend for the 48" dimmable hybrid?

I'm considering getting an 8' long tank and need to decide what width I can go with. Thanks!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts.
I am researching products and compatibility’s before I start buying for my first build. I am considering the much cheaper RoboTank controller that uses ReefPi along with Raspberry Pi open source technology. Do you have an adapter cord or will the Apex cord work with this technology for a DX18 Dimmable?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a 3.5mm female stereo jack for the connection to the fixture. We are using a common ground and two control wires in the 3.5 connector wire to control the ballast.

Not sure on the ReefPi configuration requirements but if we can assist in the wire we will. We make an Apex wire and also a GHL wire to connect to their controllers.

Back