DX18 Hybrid Dimming controllers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a 3.5mm female stereo jack for the connection to the fixture. We are using a common ground and two control wires in the 3.5 connector wire to control the ballast.

Not sure on the ReefPi configuration requirements but if we can assist in the wire we will. We make an Apex wire and also a GHL wire to connect to their controllers.
Thanks for the reply Dave, much appreciated. I am tagging @robsworld78 as he owns the RoboTank and knows the most about the control box and @Ranjib as he is the head guru for ReefPi.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is doable using reef-pi, since the builder gets to choose the 10v signal circuit.

reef-pi, the software generates pwm signal using pi or pca9685 hardware. This 3.3v/5v pwm signal is then converted to 10v pwm using a common npn transistor for kessil, or an opamp circuit to make it closer to look analog (mars aqua board ??). I think uln2803 is a sink type driver , that we use for driving 12v adj powerstrip, might be useful here. I'll let some one more qualified (@theatrus or @Michael Lane) to confirm :-0)

godspeed. as long as we know what signal to generate, it should be doable using the appropriate circuitry.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is doable using reef-pi, since the builder gets to choose the 10v signal circuit.

reef-pi, the software generates pwm signal using pi or pca9685 hardware. This 3.3v/5v pwm signal is then converted to 10v pwm using a common npn transistor for kessil, or an opamp circuit to make it closer to look analog (mars aqua board ??). I think uln2803 is a sink type driver , that we use for driving 12v adj powerstrip, might be useful here. I'll let some one more qualified (@theatrus or @Michael Lane) to confirm :-0)

godspeed. as long as we know what signal to generate, it should be doable using the appropriate circuitry.
Thank you Ranjib. starting my build is a ways off yet but I am keeping this thread to come back too should I go this route.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the ballast expects 0-10V? At that junction any of the 0-10V circuits in use for ReefPi based on the PWM->Voltage circuits would be suitable. I always use a quick low pass + op-amp stage.
Thanks Theatrus. Will call for help once I start my build.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Dave, much appreciated. I am tagging @robsworld78 as he owns the RoboTank and knows the most about the control box and @Ranjib as he is the head guru for ReefPi.

Hey Weasel1960, I really need to start logging in more, sometimes I come check out some threads but don't log in.

It sounds like this should work, the controller has 8 ports and each are selectable between 0-5v or 0-10v PWM or 0-5v or 0-10v Analog. If you need more than 8 channels an extra circuit would be needed.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Weasel1960, I really need to start logging in more, sometimes I come check out some threads but don't log in.

It sounds like this should work, the controller has 8 ports and each are selectable between 0-5v or 0-10v PWM or 0-5v or 0-10v Analog. If you need more than 8 channels an extra circuit would be needed.
Thanks Rob. My build is still several months off so collecting info and making notes for now.

virtualgain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I am just putting together my robotank build and interested in dimming these lights. I cut the female stereo jack off and see 4 wires but im not sure which ones are signal and which are ground, etc. If anyone knows or has got this working with robotank or even any reef pi setup please let me know!

virtualgain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured out how to make this DX18 dimming work with Robo-Tank.

1. Cut the female stereo jack in which you will find 4 wires.
2. Connect Channel 1 Wire (Red) to your desired PWM/Analog outlet. Note that mine worked on either the analog or pwm 0-10v settings.
3. Connect Channel 2 Wire (White) to your desired PWM/Analog outlet.
4. Connect yellow wire to any ground on the controller.
5. Setup the appropriate Jacks and then lights in Reef PI
6. Profit?

Note: Not sure what the black wire is/does. Anyone that might have a clue let me know lol.

ChineyRas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are the instructions for programming the apex to dim the T5 hybrid fixture? Sorry if I missed it, can someone please share the thread?

Thank you!

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly I'm not familiar with the Bluefish products. I was told today that GHL has a controller specific to lighting and other 0 -10V items. Its the Profilux Light Mini Wi-Fi. It will still need a timer to turn the fixtures power off completely. As the Ballast are not off 100% at 0 volts input. Its $139.99 You could add a powerbar too, if you want it all in one unit.

I know this is an older thread, but I just ordered this contoller to work on my 36" DX18. @AquaticLifeProducts do you know where I can purchase a cable that has the male 35mm jack to connect to my fixture and I believe it looks to be a USB on the other side to connect to this controller?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
We have the 3.5mm control wires for GHL and the Apex controllers. The Apex wire will be arriving any day. Have not seen a USB to 3.5mm connection.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
We have a three and four wire 3.5mm stereo jack that we can connect to different jacks. Just have not connected to a USB connection before.

I have not seen a USB option like that before. Should work. Just depends on the connections for the controller.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back