OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an update

so I edit my code for my feeding macro button. I will then update all my macro buttons as well as my schedule now that I have this working the way I wanted.

Before I had it hard coded in a config file which equipment (outlets) to turn off and which had a 5min delay on them. I did this on my 54g tank due to the skimmer needed about 5min delay or it would overflow. Now that I am on my 36g and no longer have a skimmer I don't need the delay. I wanted to have it so the system could be updated on the fly.

So first I updated the code for my outlet section so that equipment assignment can be modified easily
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.22.28 PM.png

I then edited the quick button setting area to easily assign/un-assign equipment to a macro.
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.25.43 PM.png

I then created a new python script that reads the tables.
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.18.44 PM.png

I also added so that I create a log at anytime a macro or even a program is ran.
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.19.00 PM.png

Only thing left to do is rename the file so it runs when the macro button is clicked.

Once that is done I will work on the others.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have updated the feed macro, maintenance macro, and all off macro. I have an idea for the lights button so I will work on that in a little. I been focusing on my schedule program. This program checks outlets every 1 min to make sure they are in the correct state (on or off). My first script didn't really work the way I wanted it to. It would not handle things over night (for example if I want equipment to be on from 9:00pm until 9:00am) and it didn't really allow for skipping days or only running on one day. I am in the middle of testing a new script that fixes all of those issues and my testing is going well. The only thing due to this script running every 1min I am not going to have this script be logged in the log table cause it would be just a waste of space. After I roll this script out I will get working on my idea for the lights macro.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I been working slowly on my "lights" macro. I have it so if you click on the button a window popup with options. I will work on getting those options to work as well as a way to modified the presets.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.12.16 PM.png

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting macro is about 99% done. I have it so when the window opens it see the correct status of the lights (off, running on schedule[auto], or on) Also I have the acclimate button working. Currently this button will disable my A150s for 7 days and then turn them back on; the system will check at bootup, in case of a power failure, to make sure the lights either stay in the acc mode or return to normal operation. I left the option in my code to control my 360 once I get that wired up. I also made it so the days and equipment can be modified on the fly (which I will work on soon). I can run these option from a computer, phone, or my touch screen.
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.13.58 PM.png

The macro button will also indicate what status the lights are in (orange would mean its not on auto)
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.14.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.22.45 PM.png

I will work on the Presets option and the sump next. The Presets I am still working out in my head because I want them to be user editable.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 7 days ago I picked up some new corals and got to test out my lighting option.

Well 7 days passed and my lights turned on at the correct time they should. I am liking this new option because I'm sick of putting reminders on the calendar to plug my lights back in. I did find some issues with my maintenance macro so I have to look into it.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my JBJ ATO isn't working too well. I am now going to look into adding it to my system. I already started some test code. My next step is to purchase some float switches, a 8 channel relay (to upgrade from 4 outlets to 8 outlets), and then wired everything up. My idea is to have the system check every second and it the ato is running it will turn the outlet with the lift pump on. Once it at a safe level it will turn that outlet off. I am going to put in a safe guard in and have it so the outlet is only one for a set time and then will auto turn off; I just need to figure out the timing on that when its time.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.28.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.29.44 PM.png

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard float switches are susceptible to salt creeps. I have tested both float switch and photo electric sensor , the code is kinda same for both I think
I have float switches now with my jbj and if you keep them clean then they are ok. I was thinking of using photo sensor and might look into them as well.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in prep to get my ATO working I coded this add-on section. Right now only 'ATO' does its job but I am going to work on the temp, pH (down the road), and salinity. What this does is either run the python script for those sensor or closes depending on enable/disable status.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.05.35 AM.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in prep to get my ATO working I coded this add-on section. Right now only 'ATO' does its job but I am going to work on the temp, pH (down the road), and salinity. What this does is either run the python script for those sensor or closes depending on enable/disable status.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.05.35 AM.png
Neat :)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seriously consodering building a full blown plc control system. Only issue is the software license is rediculous expensive for a home project.

Yes that why I either would go open source or write code yourself (like I am)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got to be freaking kidding me!!!! Was putting up a curtain rod for my mom and the end cap came off and landed right on the touch screen :mad:. At least the screen still works

IMG_20171005_165405.jpg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with the ds18b20 temperature sensor rusting?

Mine all seemed to rust a little after about a month in the tank. My solution was to simply put some heatshrink tubing around it and seal it in. I am interested to hear what you came up with! or if you actually found a reseller who sells proper stainless shells on them :)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got to be freaking kidding me!!!! Was putting up a curtain rod for my mom and the end cap came off and landed right on the touch screen :mad:. At least the screen still works

IMG_20171005_165405.jpg
Ouch :-/ . hey at least it's working,and ts 60 bucks . not an expensive iPad , on the bright side.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with the ds18b20 temperature sensor rusting?

Mine all seemed to rust a little after about a month in the tank. My solution was to simply put some heatshrink tubing around it and seal it in. I am interested to hear what you came up with! or if you actually found a reseller who sells proper stainless shells on them :)
The canakit and soarkfun probes has a black coating and mine is going on for 4 months now....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back