Dying Favia Coral

Wardeandkaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favia coral not looking good. Got it online got here with some bleaching on the bottom half. ITs been in the tank for about 2 weeks now

IMG_1038.PNG

IMG_1037.PNG

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be too close to the light. Also, need to make sure your parameters are good. Check Calcium and alk levels. They are fairly easy to care for and are usually found on the bottom half of the tank but usually near the bottom.

OP
OP
W

Wardeandkaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my parameters are good it came like this. Do you think it will recover? Also it was supposed to be neon green but it's not

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would immediately move it to the sand. Corals of any kind need time to acclimate. Judging from the pic, it looks like it pretty high in the tank and directly under the light. Should start all corals at the base of the tank to acclimate and slowly move them up. It may bounce back but will definitely take time. The bleaching has grown into the tissue.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my parameters are good it came like this.

Can you please list all your most recent test results? Including specific gravity.

Have you ever used a light meter to see how much light you're putting in your tank in the spot where this coral is? I use a $12 lux meter called the "LX-1010B", and I suggest it as a minimum. It works well! :) While you wait for one of those to be delivered, you could experiment with a lux meter app for your smartphone...they are free. :)

Please at least post all your test results....they matter if saving the coral is the idea. :)

OP
OP
W

Wardeandkaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please list all your most recent test results? Including specific gravity.

Have you ever used a light meter to see how much light you're putting in your tank in the spot where this coral is? I use a $12 lux meter called the "LX-1010B", and I suggest it as a minimum. It works well! :) While you wait for one of those to be delivered, you could experiment with a lux meter app for your smartphone...they are free. :)

Please at least post all your test results....they matter if saving the coral is the idea. :)
Specific gravity:1.026
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Calcium:420
Alkalinity:8dkh
Ph:8.0
Magnesium:1400

OP
OP
W

Wardeandkaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 5 gallon water change every other week and dose two part. Plus Red Sea nopox
I haven't tested my par just put a new light on it last night took off the pc canopy that it came with and replaced it with the ocean revive t-247b led lighting mounted 8" above the water settings are 10% white 25% blue for right now. Thanks for the help man!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Had phosphates on the brain. Hanna makes a good test kit for phosphates. Your parameters look pretty good. I like a higher Ph myself. Around 8.2. But it's not a big deal. I would def move the frag to the bottom to properly acclimate.

OP
OP
W

Wardeandkaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Had phosphates on the brain. Hanna makes a good test kit for phosphates. Your parameters look pretty good. I like a higher Ph myself. Around 8.2. But it's not a big deal. I would def move the frag to the bottom to properly acclimate.
Yeah I want to get their handheld checkers use API and red Sea test kits ATM

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I want to get their handheld checkers use API and red Sea test kits ATM
As you go along, you will see what works for you and what makes things tougher. Red Sea makes good test kits. I like the digital output on the Hanna. I use both for all of my parameters. As long as you keep stable parameters, you should have a healthy tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific gravity:1.026
Nitrate:0

All looks good except for this and the missing PO4 test....if both are zero like this your Favia is unlikely to make it.

I do a 5 gallon water change every other week and dose two part. Plus Red Sea nopox

Stop the nopox now....you have no nitrates, so no reason to use it. How old is this tank?

I haven't tested my par just put a new light on it last night took off the pc canopy that it came with and replaced it with the ocean revive t-247b led lighting mounted 8" above the water

Check out one of the free app lux meters......"galactica luxmeter" is one that's worked for folks on IOS side, but there are lots of them.

And get a cheapie lux meter like my "LX-1010B" ordered – don't go without a light meter anymore.

Do not hold out for a PAR meter. Get a lux meter and save up for a PAR meter if you want, but do not hold out. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back