E-Marco 400 to cement a pile of rubble?

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build a narrow sloping peninsula to fit up against to a larger rock. I have lots of CaribSea rubble.

Has anyone cemented together a pile of rubble using E-Marco 400 mortar?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Depending on size and shape of the rubble pieces, I think the main decision would be to cement each piece together one by one, or possibly try to make your one big protruding peninsula piece out of the cement, and then press all the rubble into it like a conglomerate rock. Best wishes; send us a photo when it’s finished :)

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp , @jaso - Do you think if I build this little beast on a wax-paper covered flat surface, will the mortar stick to it or peel off as I hope?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at a couple threads this morning where people used fine sand, powder from working with reef saver rocks, and/or baking soda as "mortar" and then very thin (or very "liquidy") superglue as the binding agent. Evidently it makes a super solid fusion and is very easy to do. Tidal Gardens has a whole aquascaping video on this that was very good. I've had bad luck (or at least not great luck) with the e-marco mortar personally. Couldn't get it to support weight like I wanted despite using tons of it and clamping it for 24 hours.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at a couple threads this morning where people used fine sand, powder from working with reef saver rocks, and/or baking soda as "mortar" and then very thin (or very "liquidy") superglue as the binding agent. Evidently it makes a super solid fusion and is very easy to do. Tidal Gardens has a whole aquascaping video on this that was very good. I've had bad luck (or at least not great luck) with the e-marco mortar personally. Couldn't get it to support weight like I wanted despite using tons of it and clamping it for 24 hours.
I appreciate the alternate solution. I'm not too concerned about weight support; it will be a jumble of small light pieces of limited height on a flat base.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just finished building a couple of small structures (about 7lb's each). I was trying to mortar them together with the M400, but even with fast setting times, it was taking longer than I wanted to hold or prop the pieces together. I ended up using super glue and accelerator to "tack" the pieces together, then used the M400 to strengthen the connecting points. The finished product seems very strong (granted, I didn't throw either of them off my deck to make sure it'll hold together though........hahaha).

jaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp , @jaso - Do you think if I build this little beast on a wax-paper covered flat surface, will the mortar stick to it or peel off as I hope?
Getting it to come off the wax paper is non issue. If you get it to set up your rock, burn it off with a lighter. We are basically talking paper stuck in concrete. This stuff does stick. And I did like working with it. Remember to make sure you press it onto your rock holes as much as you can. There’s a whole lot of little pieces in those structures. There are minor/small rocks held with super glue. The majority are the Marco mortar. 2 kits from bulk reef supple. Watch their video if you haven’t.

Attachments

• ED30C872-9EB5-4CFB-BED3-7D648480B40D.jpeg
    ED30C872-9EB5-4CFB-BED3-7D648480B40D.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 80
  • AA347C09-0624-4AD9-AF61-285ADED873B9.jpeg
    AA347C09-0624-4AD9-AF61-285ADED873B9.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 117

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you can you the E-Marco mortar with just water instead of the Liquid Polymer Additive it comes with. If so what problems if any will arise from just using water? I know that it still turns to cement with water but I don't know if any long term effects?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this method. It creates a much stronger bond than regular marco cement. If I were to throw my entire rockscape on the ground trying to break it, it would not break on the areas where I put rock powder + thin ca glue.

Back