EARLY SIGNS OF ALGAE

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My 20g is cycling on it’s last stage with a fish and one shrimp. I haven’t noticed the algae until this evening. In my opinion it’s like it popped up overnight. My theories are:
-Lighting (AI prime 16hd)
-SUNLIGHT I do keep my blinds open during the day and it lights up my room. When it shines directly into my aquarium I shut the blinds immediately.
-overfeeding I feed once a day — a pinch and a 1/2
I am looking for some strategies that could help me get rid of it ASAP; I know it takes time, but it is at its early stages so I was thinking if I start now it will be gone sooner? ‍♂️♂️
Some green hair-ish algae, and a very thin layer of it kind of is like a slime and a slight red/greenish tint. Any recommendations on products or what not, on preventing, killing, and controlling early stages of algae, that work well and are preferably fast? Maybe some sort of mini reactor? I don’t know.
Thanks!
sdubler

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
especially in a new tank, this will occur. To reduce its capacity to develop, you can reduce white light intensity, and add clean up crew consisting of:

Turbo snails
astrea snails
nerite snails
trochus snails
nassarius snails
6 blue leg hermi crabs

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos? :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there shouldn’t be any worries it’s a new tank it’s going through normal phases so your good :)

OP
OP
sdubler

sdubler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there shouldn’t be any worries it’s a new tank it’s going through normal phases so your good :)
Ok. Any ideas on how I can control it, from tajibg over my tank? I was worried, bc when I googled videos about algae it looked like some took over aquariums. Have you’ve experienced this phase? How long does it last?

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not sure if you have anything that needs light in the aquarium but if you turn off your LED you won't be growing much algae. With that said I don't see a whole lot of algae here. Eventually you will get things that outcompete the algae for nutrients but right now I don't think you do. When you do get cycled a lawnmower blenny might be a good add to the algae control crew.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All new tanks go through this. My salt water tank has only been up about 5 months, but it's going through it. It doesn't look spotless, but it also doesn't look bad. I've had plenty of freshwater tanks too and they also go through it. All you can do is make sure you feed enough to make sure you fish get 2-3 bites a feeding. Anything extra just feeds the algae.

The tank is going through a war at the microscopic level. The good stuff will eventually win, but until then you just make sure your not feeding the bad stuff.... by over feeding and too much light.

Since you don't have anything that requires light in your tank yet. If it does get out of control, manually remove as much as you can then turn the lights off for a week.

Every tank is different, but eventually the tank will equalize.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back