Early Stage Dinoflagellates

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m ready for the battle lol

I actually have SpongExcel, but I tested my silicates and they’re right at 2 without it, so I’m hesitant to dose. I’ve also been adding MB7 and PhytoFeast for about a week and a half. They don’t seem to be getting especially worse, but they definitely look pretty bad around 2-4PM when the lights have been on a while.

Interesting to know that they burrow. Clever jerks...
Inappropriate Reefer did a video on how he fought these and won. The video is definitely worth checking out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some post a picture of what y’all are talking about? I may be having a similar issue
There are 5 very common species of dinos in our captive systems and they look different from each other in the tank -- and particularly under the microscope. Search for the "Are you tired" thread. 10,000 pictures there.

Also, you can search for "coffee filter test" for a simple way to determine whether or not you have dinos. If that confirms dinos, the next step is getting a cheap hobby grade microscope to determine which species you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back