Early Stage of Coralline Algae Growth?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think this may be early coralline growth?

Snapchat-342294657.jpg

watanabeireefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you can always do to add coralline into the tank is find some old Snail or hermits shells with coralline on them and leave them on the rocks. This is a great and easy way to jumpstart the growth in your tank. Its also really cheap. I did this in my tank, its still new but it definitely has helped

A second alternative is you can have a friend or someone the local first store, just scrap some off their tank walls. Just drop it into the tank.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a diatom bloom first and foremost. Coraline takes a few months of favorable conditions before you start to see spots on the glass and what not as mentioned above.
I had a diatom bloom, went away. Now this is starting on the rocks.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Are you getting any alk or calcium consumption yet? I would assume no corals yet hopefully, but It looks like bacteria to me. Could very well be coraline starting but the brown on the rocks has me thinking it could be diatoms and red cyano too after your diatom bloom. New tanks with no nutrients grow some funky stuff in their beginning stages. Especially coupled with unproperly prepped substrate.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be coralline, but the growth pattern isn't typical for early coralline algae.
Coralline usually starts out with small round patches scattered on rocks and glass, and expands from there.
Here's how early coralline growth looks in my 3 month old nano reef:

IMG_6712b.jpg

IMG_6713b.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell from photos, but usually you will almost always see corralline develop on glass, powerhead, overflow, etc. before you see if colonizing heavily on rocks, especially if using new/dry rock. If you are getting growth on these areas, then it is likely growing on your rock as well.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like corraline. Can you get a pic with flash?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you can always do to add coralline into the tank is find some old Snail or hermits shells with coralline on them and leave them on the rocks. This is a great and easy way to jumpstart the growth in your tank. Its also really cheap. I did this in my tank, its still new but it definitely has helped

A second alternative is you can have a friend or someone the local first store, just scrap some off their tank walls. Just drop it into the tank.
I suggest this same thing to people too because it’s how I got some in my tank. SNAILS

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell from photos, but usually you will almost always see corralline develop on glass, powerhead, overflow, etc. before you see if colonizing heavily on rocks, especially if using new/dry rock. If you are getting growth on these areas, then it is likely growing on your rock as well.
I got zero on my plastic/glass but nice growth on my rocks

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline usually shows up as super florescent pink under blue lights when it first sprouts in my tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back