Early stage of Cyano or Dino? Brown and bubbles

• Thread starter 154162
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

View Badges
So the tank is 2 month old, at first I thought it was just diatoms.... but it seems different, I noticed bubbles in the tank, so I did some research, a few threads popped up, it was 50/50 split between early stage of Cyano or early stage Dino... so I’m at loss here because they have completely opposite ways to deal with them...
the bubbles are only during the lights on, so it photosynthetic, the brown has tiny little hairs.
No fish in the tank, 2 died last week of brook, only 6 snails and a cleaner shrimp and 3 corals...
nitrates are 2ppm and phosphates zero, been trying to feed extra to get phosphates up but I’m thinking I’m just some kind of algae now
I running carbon for a about a week, water was dirty and moved some corals.
Not running any GFO
Ph and kh stable
Thinking of doing a black out, and water change after with gravel vac. Unless I’m completely sure what it is
I do t want to add chemicals right away, I would rather learn what it is and and try an counteract this the natural way
Let me know what you think?

0DD3ABAA-3569-4AC4-8EC5-D19F63D071CC.jpeg
71B08A36-43C1-4E28-97C7-B4CE9197C3C9.jpeg
CC13282A-F3BC-40F4-9636-561E666F7197.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

reefdude101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d run cyanoclean or Cyano rx & see if it makes a difference as it only takes 24-48hrs I’m pretty sure.

How far has that stuff grown is it throughout whole tank, if so I’d suggest running gfo & take a look at your nutrient import vs export.

Id also suggest running vibrant reef cleaner for awhile as it will wipe out Dino’s if it is that but I doubt it not stringy enough & not enough bubbles.

your more then likely just looking at hair algae, if so work on your nutrient export.

OP
OP

View Badges
Thanks!
I don’t really want to add chemicals yet, until I understand what it is exactly and try to remedy this the natural way. I do have vibrant on hand though.

If it is Dino though I don’t want to be running GFO, as my nutrients are already low?

OP
OP

View Badges
And sorry forgot to answer your question, it’s pretty much everywhere... the brown on the sand and the rocks even in the glass and the powerhead.... the little brown hairs however are just on sand and rocks... the bubbles Are on certain parts of sand and rocks

OP
OP

View Badges
@LOVEROCK I think my daughter might have science kit one... what should I take out and look at ? the hair ?

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles aren't 100% dinos indicator, but just a gas. It' doesn't look like dinos to me.

OP
OP

View Badges
So just wait it out for now?
Should I go ahead and do a gravel vac and wager change this weekend?

reefdude101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
Thanks!
I don’t really want to add chemicals yet, until I understand what it is exactly and try to remedy this the natural way. I do have vibrant on hand though.

If it is Dino though I don’t want to be running GFO, as my nutrients are already low?
doesn't look like Dino mate, Dino is more stringy & looks like spider web along glass panes etc, the bubbles your seeing are more then likely just nitrogen gas.

If you have low nutrients & algae is growing you don’t have low nutrients as it won’t show up on testing.

If it’s only two months old your more then likely still going through the uglies diatoms can persist up to 6 months in my experience, but check your Rodi output you want 0 tds & keep a bag of Di resin on hand for when it rises.

you could havewxcess silicates hard to say without knowing more about the tank/setup & parameters.

Post full tank shot, one of display/sump & current parameters will help a lot to get a better idea.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LOVEROCK I think my daughter might have science kit one... what should I take out and look at ? the hair ?
whatever you want to inspect , take a baster and suck some up and put it on a slide , a cheap microscope will work 400x

OP
OP

View Badges
Haven’t done anything yet!
So I have carbon running right now, should I take that out?
I don’t want to keep feeding the tank so much cuz the algae will get the nutrients, but I still have a shrimp and some nassirius snails... but I also don’t want to take out all the nurtrients because then I might get Dino’s hahaha
I’m thinking just wait it out a bit?

I buy my RODI from a water shop, but I don’t have a tds meter

Tank parameter:
065D8F10-1A1B-4D74-8DC2-E224ED48340C.jpeg

Ammonia and nitrite are zero

I’m running filter floss, carbon, and 2 bags of matrix

Here’s are some pics of the tank:
85D00AEC-653D-4A65-9C81-8933F34DA209.jpeg
E46C27BF-592D-4907-B2E3-5A19C67CB20C.jpeg

And this a mini journal:
May 15: dry scape
May 20: sand + saltwater
May 23: ammonia + fritz zyme 9
June 19: cycled
June 20: caramel clownfish
July 4: orchid dottyback + scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp + 3x nassirius snails + eagle eye Zoa
July 21: 3x trochus snails + hammer + pulsing Xenia + added carbon
July 22: brooklynella outbreak
July 23: clownfish + dottyback dead

Last edited by a moderator:

reefdude101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done anything yet!
So I have carbon running right now, should I take that out?
I don’t want to keep feeding the tank so much cuz the algae will get the nutrients, but I still have a shrimp and some nassirius snails... but I also don’t want to take out all the nurtrients because then I might get Dino’s hahaha
I’m thinking just wait it out a bit?

I buy my RODI from a water shop, but I don’t have a tds meter

Tank parameter:
065D8F10-1A1B-4D74-8DC2-E224ED48340C.jpeg

Ammonia and nitrite are zero

I’m running filter floss, carbon, and 2 bags of matrix

Here’s are some pics of the tank:
85D00AEC-653D-4A65-9C81-8933F34DA209.jpeg
E46C27BF-592D-4907-B2E3-5A19C67CB20C.jpeg

And this a mini journal:
May 15: dry scape
May 20: sand + saltwater
May 23: ammonia + fritz zyme 9
June 19: cycled
June 20: caramel clownfish
July 4: orchid dottyback + scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp + 3x nassirius snails + eagle eye Zoa
July 21: 3x trochus snails + hammer + pulsing Xenia + added carbon
July 22: brooklynella outbreak
July 23: clownfish + dottyback dead
Honestly man I think the carbon is fine, all in all it’s not really going to hurt what your trying to do & will help with water clarity.

lioks like you have no fish at the moment ? I’d suggest ghost feeding every three days just a few pellets to feed your nitrifying bacteria otherwise if you leave it a long time then add fish you may see a mini cycle.

I’d suggest buying a RO/DI unit if your definitely in it for the long term & a tds meter, have a spare set of filters on hand - I change every six months.

also keep a bag of AF di resin on hand & change it over once your tds goes above 1-2.

I don’t trust LFS water for my system I’d rather know what I’m putting in is the best I can provide.

I honestly can’t see anything your doing wrong I think you just got unlucky so far it happens man, just keep an eye on the back section if your aio and keep it clean watch for detritus buildup, make sure you do a weekly water change, you have the luxury of a smaller system so if things get out of whack water changes are your best friend.

in regards to the algae your tank is still very young, I think you need to just wait & ride it out it’s still going through the ugly stages, it looks like GHA but I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage clean the algae up with scraper vacuum the sand bed & perform a water change.

add some more fish when ready & text no3/po4 regularly, I’d suggest just using nopox on a dosing pump go slow and adjust till levels even out with your feeding habits/bioload, if you have algae growing then throw some gfo in there and once it turns white/disappears then you can adjust gfo dosages, but to be honest this will be down the track.

for a tank this size I know it’s hard but I’d stick with a pair of clowns only in that tank that way you aren’t overstocked & your tank can run naturally without the issues of hair algae etc.

but keep doing what your doing well done.

OP
OP

View Badges
Thanks @reefdude101 !
Yeah no fish, I had a brook outbreak that killed my clown and dotty last week just after adding 2 corals and some trochus snails... going fallow and will be setting up qt

Still have a cleaner shrimp and some nassirius and trochus snails so still feeding a bit, I’m probably over feeding right now and it’s not helping, I was trying get my nutrients up but I guess the algae is sucking it up

RODI unit is in the plan but for now it’s only a small tank so I just buy my water, it’s not from an Lfs, it’s from a specialized water shop that make RO/di water and other stuff, they “say they test their water daily and Have 0 tds”

I’ll keep things clean and just put it down to uglies for now, and take it from there...
Thanks for all your help!

Back