Easier way to feed fish?

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LowLi,
Please point us to that article if you have the reference. Do you know if other things were measured?

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typed the above message and thought I just let it sit in my computer while I was looking at other stuff. Didn't mean to post it until I did some further looking.
Anyhow after some more looking
https://www.google.com/search?q=rin...ome..69i57.18719j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I found some links to other threads and read a few.
Seems to me one camp (including Randy) says phosphate contribution of frozen food "juice" is trivial so not worth rinsing. Possibility of some good stuff lost while rinsing is raised.
A smaller camp (at least from my reading) are rinsers. Mike Paletta's opinion to rinse is alluded to, but I couldn't find a link to that article. I thought I read that in the past and it informed my previous decision to be a rinser.

My conclusion, at least for now, is I will stop rinsing and hope some of the good stuff in the "juice" will benefit the corals, CUC and microcritters.

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to "rinse" my frozen foods so i could believe I was doing my best to keep phosphates out of the tank.

Then I read an article on it and they meaaured the reduction in phosphate from rinsing... it was 1%.

Now i literally toss cubes in from across the room.

From beyond the 3 point line?

bekate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a shot glass with some warm water, throw the cube in there and then use a turkey baster to add it to the tank where I want it to go. Works quite well.

OP
OP
C

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole reason for starting this was to see if there was an easier way to add selcon to mysis every day... if I put the cube to thaw in water and then add selcon but my worry is that the food won't absorb as much because it will just stay in the water?
Any thoughts
I typed the above message and thought I just let it sit in my computer while I was looking at other stuff. Didn't mean to post it until I did some further looking.
Anyhow after some more looking
https://www.google.com/search?q=rin...ome..69i57.18719j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I found some links to other threads and read a few.
Seems to me one camp (including Randy) says phosphate contribution of frozen food "juice" is trivial so not worth rinsing. Possibility of some good stuff lost while rinsing is raised.
A smaller camp (at least from my reading) are rinsers. Mike Paletta's opinion to rinse is alluded to, but I couldn't find a link to that article. I thought I read that in the past and it informed my previous decision to be a rinser.

My conclusion, at least for now, is I will stop rinsing and hope some of the good stuff in the "juice" will benefit the corals, CUC and microcritters.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole reason for starting this was to see if there was an easier way to add selcon to mysis every day... if I put the cube to thaw in water and then add selcon but my worry is that the food won't absorb as much because it will just stay in the water?
Any thoughts

It would be more ideal for the mysids to be fed selcon while they were alive....nothing will "soak in" to a dead, fully hydrated animal. ;)

So depending who you're trying to feed, added Selcon may or may not be worthwhile.

For fish, not worth it...needs to be in the critter the fish is eating.

Coral and others? Selcon will still be food even if you just dose it straight to the tank without mysis – so very worth it.

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that exact condiments container. Toss 3-4 days worth of frozen with some tank water and just squirt enough food that my fish can clear up in 30s 3-4 times a day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back