EASIEST ACRO: Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 139 46.0%
  • NO

Votes: 60 19.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m convinced coral placement is what decides the success of a coral. I haven’t found any difference between hardiness in acropora. Put a hardy acro in an undesirable location and it will wither away the exact same way a “non-hardy” acro would.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....I don't think there is such thing as an easy acro. What might be easy for one tank refuses to grow in another. I don't there is a single species that you can guarantee will thrive in any tank. That being said, there are easier acros than others, for sure.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimer has always been a go to easy coral for me.
The bright green looks good in any system, imo
My old 120 green slimer. Stags are one of my favorite type of coral.
20211231_145637.jpg

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suggest a Bali Green Slimer to any acro newbie. Once you can keep that one, proceed to get other ones.

nick7948

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's relatively easy to keep most acro alive if you have experience with fish/LPS and can maintain a stable ALK level. I think maintaining good colors, encrust, growth is more challenging. Personally, the BigR Walt Disney has proved to be my easiest acro. (fastest growth, live through Alk swings etc.) However, I think the green slimer is better for people new to SPS given both the price and hardiness.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's a true acro but it's gotta be a birdsnest. I started with a tiny frag 8 months ago and now I have colony about the size of a softball. I've also got some cheap ugly green ones that grow like crazy long forgot what they are called. Hulks I think.. I tried the cheap ones to see if I could grow them and they did. The first time I bought a nice one it died. So no more acros for me. I'll stick with meat corals.
I just picked up one if these today. Ora pink bird’s nest. Fingers crossed.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd consider most of the "old school" acros to be pretty easy. Bali Green Slimer, Red Planet, and all sorts of no-name stags, etc. If it's been aquacultured for 20-30 years, it's likely going to be easier to keep. I've had Slimers survive things that "hardier" LPS and softies couldn't. I've had a few stags come back from the brink as well.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oregon tort is bulletproof for me. It’s made it through crazy high tin and Dino events that killed or stalled almost every other acro.

On the other hand green Slimer and millies don’t do well in my tank so go figure.
This is perfect example for me that every tank is different. I have the COMPLETE opposite success. My Oregon tort has burnt tips and not grown at all in 2 months that I had it and green slimer survived though everything possible and growing like crazy So to say overall one easier than other depends on your tank.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxic green SPS. Have fragged multiple times in 2 years.

DCD4188D-94A7-4D2C-910A-38DA9B68D9D8.jpeg

1663935886634.jpeg
Beautiful piece for sure, but the question was easiest Acro. That is not an Acropora, it is an Anacropora.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pocillopora if it spawns
German Blue digi (not an acro) is so prolific in the St. Louis area stores refuse to take it now.
5278D9CF-DD8B-4007-B8CD-F42D24D4AA14.jpeg

If you are in St. Louis and you want some let me know.

Not sure if it's a true acro but it's gotta be a birdsnest. I started with a tiny frag 8 months ago and now I have colony about the size of a softball. I've also got some cheap ugly green ones that grow like crazy long forgot what they are called. Hulks I think.. I tried the cheap ones to see if I could grow them and they did. The first time I bought a nice one it died. So no more acros for me. I'll stick with meat corals.
Birdsnest is not an Acropora.

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first one too..and you are 100% correct..ugly. it's got a nice spot on my tanks back side.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back