EASIEST ACRO: Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 139 46.0%
  • NO

Votes: 60 19.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If alkalinity goes down in my experience that’s when they begin to suffer, if it goes up (And I do admit, sand doesn’t just instantly drop a bunch of KH into the water) they don’t suffer as badly unless it goes out of the 10-12 range from the 7-8 range within a few minutes.
i know when goes to these tanks, babysitting especially alk, and changing r\o filters and membrane are key.
Thats why some of these sps gurus measure alk every day,
Im no pro but did keep a couple of tanks over the years
and it is work, but once the tank is stable gets easier

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know when goes to these tanks, babysitting especially alk, and changing r\o filters and membrane are key.
Thats why some of these sps gurus measure alk every day,
Im no pro but did keep a couple of tanks over the years
and it is work, but once the tank is stable gets easier
I measure my alk every 6 hours and dose 400ml of RO daily, my temp never really changes badly any more though. My Calcium and Magnesium levels seem stable since KH is caused by the carbonates in the water.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool do you dose and how?
I dose All-For-Reef and I dose 8ml a day. The dosing pump I use is a Reef Factory dosing pump. Almost everything on my 3’ nano is from Reef Factory.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool u like all for reef? That’s great success with a nano sps, how many fish,and gallons
Yeah I do, the tank is a 3’ 25g (3’x16”x1’) the amount of fish is questionable. I believe there was originally 7 in there but I may be 1 down. Again, this isn’t certain.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20g aio nano cube. In 2 days it will be 8 months old.
I dose esv 2 part & strontium.
Dsr trace.
Alk 7
Ca 420
Mag 1350
Acros grow easily if parameters are stable, imo.
It helps if you have been around awhile.
20220816_180121.jpg

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I can't seem to keep any coral since I moved to Texas. Sent in for an icp test and my MG is low while my CA is through the roof although I'm not dosing CA. Phosphates have been a issue with nitrates. Any recommendations besides water changes would be helpful. My fish, and snails are thriving. Lanthum Chloride causes my low iron glass to fog up so I haven't been dosing it anymore. I've gotten so discouraged with keeping coral since I moved. I did change out my chiller, maybe some metals were leaching somewhere. The tank does look clearer. Anybody want a used chiller that needs a thermostat locally in texas? It chills up to 180 gallons.
Redsea No3po4x works good for me

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool u like all for reef? That’s great success with a nano sps, how many fish,and gallons
I’ve had success with all for reef. Just keep the tank stable monitoring alkalinity and the other elements stay in place with it. I dose 15ml a day in my 50 cube and my 180 takes up 45ml!!!!! Mixing my own using the powder and rodi it costs me $8 a month.

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's relatively easy to keep most acro alive if you have experience with fish/LPS and can maintain a stable ALK level. I think maintaining good colors, encrust, growth is more challenging. Personally, the BigR Walt Disney has proved to be my easiest acro. (fastest growth, live through Alk swings etc.) However, I think the green slimer is better for people new to SPS given both the price and hardiness.
i agree, WD survives the best, other acros not as well in my tank

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st sps was a purple pocillopora. I couldn't kill this sps with fire. It spawned everywhere over taking the tank. Had to shut it down and restart. I learned not to get any fast growing coral just so it makes me feel good. I go after corals i truly want to spread.
Oh man oh man did I feel this post. :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I say no such thing. I’ve had the most invincible acros for years turn on me for no clear and obvious reason further reaffirming that just when you think you have it figured out, you don’t. In so many ways sps are truly punishing us lol

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say its more of a stability thing than a easy acro thing. Anything is EASY if the condition are right and the stability is there.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say its more of a stability thing than a easy acro thing. Anything is EASY if the condition are right and the stability is there.
I agree! However I have come to believe that many acros die from bacterial issues that we know very little about.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! However I have come to believe that many acros die from bacterial issues that we know very little about.

Which partially is out of our control and something the trade can slowly learn about. As long as we do our part and give a specimen a good setup to thrive in anything outside of that we can't control.

I did watch a video from ReefBum saying that using leds sub 400nm helps control bacterial problems like BJD,dinos and other infections in LPS such as torches and hammers.

I have always ran tons of lower nm (390-415nm) violets but just recently in my supplemental array for my t5's used 385nm. Helps with pop,growth and kinda like a sterilizer almost.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which partially is out of our control and something the trade can slowly learn about. As long as we do our part and give a specimen a good setup to thrive in anything outside of that we can't control.

I did watch a video from ReefBum saying that using leds sub 400nm helps control bacterial problems like BJD,dinos and other infections in LPS such as torches and hammers.

I have always ran tons of lower nm (390-415nm) violets but just recently in my supplemental array for my t5's used 385nm. Helps with pop,growth and kinda like a sterilizer almost.
I was a halide guy forever.
Im a recent convert to all leds across 3 systems and 4 tanks.
Im still learning but really like the growth and color I am getting from my 16hds. I am still working on the blue radion settings.
On the 16hds I do run UV and V at 140%.
I also run a uv sterilizer on my larger system.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My walt Disney colony has survived through multiple crashes

Thats probably on of the only highly sought after designer tenuis that is pretty much bullet proof lol.

Now that you are local,Imma need a piece of that WD. You make growing ANY coral easy though so that says a lot.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back