Easiest Challice to sell?

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered the Chalice addiction many of you are dealing with. I have only purchased one so far, and it is a glowing red, with an unknown name. They are very expensive, so I want to make sure I can sell frags of them someday. What are the easiest to sell Chalice, and where should I look for them? Include pictures if you can. Thanks.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Tyree Watermelons, BGM, BP Flame Thrower, Pink *******, Monster Mash just to name a few

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of the above are great for trading and or selling.

PS: dont get into chalice frags thinking your going to make a fortune. they are VERY slow growing so there is no fast turnaround thats for sure.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of the above are great for trading and or selling.

PS: dont get into chalice frags thinking your going to make a fortune. they are VERY slow growing so there is no fast turnaround thats for sure.

+1 more than often painfully slow

OP
OP
X

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning, I don't expect to make a killing, I just hope to recover my original investment over time. I can't see paying $100 - $200, or more for a coral, unless I can eventially get my money back. I just want to make sure I buy something sellable. Thanks for the list, anything else that should be on it.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning, I don't expect to make a killing, I just hope to recover my original investment over time. I can't see paying $100 - $200, or more for a coral, unless I can eventially get my money back. I just want to make sure I buy something sellable. Thanks for the list, anything else that should be on it.

any of the Tyree LE/AE chalices for sure, any of the Mummy Eye's, basically the more colors in the piece the better..Orange Immolation, U-Da-Meng Chalice, Beaker Bobs Wildfire, Trops Acid Trip, FNF Psychedelic Chalice, Slojmn's Aqua Red Fusion, Peach Astro, basically anything that Pnoy and Pookstreet get their hands on and a plethora of others :D

Last edited:

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if yo have the space you can also invest in some brown out from the LFS. MOST of all the great chalices you see today started as brown ugly crap that was passed over in the LFS for months. the chalice is one of the few corals that does better and looks better in our tanks then it does in the wild. you never know what they will turn into. the above is also a great way to get some huge peices which you can frag right away giving you more money to buy some of the LE stuff you want

I have a tank with nothing but brown outs. a few of them seem to be turning into great peices.

Last edited:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if yo have the space you can also invest in some brown out from the LFS. MOST of all the great chalices you see today started as brown ugly crap that was passed over in the LFS for months. the chalice is one of the few corals that does better and looks better in our tanks then it does in the wild. you never know what they will turn into. the aboev is also a great way to get some huge peices which you can frag right away giving you more money to buy some of the LE stuff you want

I have a tank with nothing but brown outs. a few of them seem to be turning into great peices.

agreed, always check your LFS there are always diamonds in the rough if you have the eye to find them

OP
OP
X

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"the aboev is also a great way to get some huge peices which you can frag right away giving you more money to buy some of the LE stuff you want"

I hate to sound stupid, but what is aboev? How do you buy from them.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"the aboev is also a great way to get some huge peices which you can frag right away giving you more money to buy some of the LE stuff you want"

I hate to sound stupid, but what is aboev? How do you buy from them.

I believe he was referring to finding brown out's from the LFS and rolling the dice on them, hoping they turn into beauty queens :)

A good place to look for pieces as well is on the Selling forums right here on R2R

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget Desert Sunset, Miami hurricane, My miami, melting pot, peppermint chalice. Be ready to pay anywhere from $150-1500 for a frag. Most of the hot ones right now go for $300 and up.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing is to buy whatever you like and are comfortable with paying.
Otherwise you can end up hating this hobby when something dies, noboby wants to buy frags, or everyone ends up having and it doesn't go for what you were hoping.

I have some "cheap" frags that are sweet as can be. I like how they look and grow. Its all about personal preference.
For sure buying named lineage stuff is good - but just like anything else it always doesn't remain "cool". Some of the "older" named pieces just aren't as nice as some of the new pieces coming in -

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found its always better to buy a few items at one time. That way you almost always get a better deal. Specially when shipping is involved.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sikryd is right in that advice. Also, keep in mind that the "HOT" corals tend to go in cycles or "fads." Seeing as how most Chalices are very slow growers, don't be surprised if you aren't able to re-coup your investment, when the "Chalice Fad" turns into the "next best thing," before yours grow to fraggable size.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quicker something grows, the faster the fad fades. Supply and demand, if something colorful gets sold and grows quickly... it gets traded quickly, and as the old commercial goes... "they tell two people, and they tell two people" and we end up with geometric growth. Which is great for the hobby and the reefs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back