Easiest display macro algae

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank that I’d like to try macroalgae in. The tank houses a radiata lionfish and I recently added a sargassum fish, who I think would look interesting with (and probably appreciate) some macroalgae. I don’t particularly care if it’s colorful, but the red and brown algaes are my favorites.

What would the easiest kind be? I’ve never tried macro before and a lot of what I’ve read seems to be more tailored towards refugiums. I don’t want something that will overgrow corals or cause problems with them. My lighting is not particularly powerful either, I have a fluval marine 3.0 led. My corals do fine under it. Water parameters are as follows.

pH: 8.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 400
KH: 143 (8 dkh)
Phosphate: 0.05

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of types of red “ogo” or dragons tongue ....not 100% sure of the proper name but the short leaf “hitchhiker” type seems easier to grow ...the long leaf type can be finicky for me, might be some trick to it but I can only grow the short leaf type in the shade...
...other than those I like the calercerous types like halimedia (my spelling is likely wrong so excuse my laziness)
... I’d avoid caulerpra ..... there is a feathery type thats not so obnoxious but another that is .....

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragons tounge is really nice with blue lights, it really stands out.

Gracilaria hayi is a macro the didn't end up getting eaten by the urchin and looks good too, it's calcified and you gotta glue it to a rock or something to prevent it from running along with the flow or getting stuck in a dead zone. Make sure there is some flow going through whatever macro you get so detris doesnt end up accumilating in it. I've seen the lion sitting on the bundle of macro sometimes, its cool to see!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how dragons tongue looks, I’ll have to give it a try. I’m sure the fish would like it too

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how dragons tongue looks, I’ll have to give it a try. I’m sure the fish would like it too
It is beautiful and it grows really quickly as well. The only problem I have with it is that I have a lot of turbo snails to control GHA and they love it too. They will completely decimate it. So I also grow it in my sump and then transplant prunings into my display tank.

I used to anchor it down, but the snails would scour it right down to the rock. So now I just let it float around loose and it seems to last longer.

Attach8806_20200314_115440.jpg

IMG_20200320_120047427~2.jpg

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is beautiful and it grows really quickly as well. The only problem I have with it is that I have a lot of turbo snails to control GHA and they love it too. They will completely decimate it. So I also grow it in my sump and then transplant prunings into my display tank.

I used to anchor it down, but the snails would scour it right down to the rock. So now I just let it float around loose and it seems to last longer.

Attach8806_20200314_115440.jpg

IMG_20200320_120047427~2.jpg
The only cuc I have is a few astrea/stomatella snails and blue leg hermits, so hopefully that won’t be too much of a problem. I’ll keep that in mind though, thanks

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 4 macros that we would classify as display worthy, ranked from Easiest to Hardest. All of these do well in a refugium, but again, dragons tongue and

PomPom - Beautiful red macro. Slightly calcifying, less likely to be eaten. (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/pom-pom-gracilaria/)
1584819545660.png
https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/pom-pom-gracilaria/

Red Ogo (Algae eaters will love this, likely to get eaten pretty quick with a tang or foxface)
1584819576429.png

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/red-ogo/

Blue Hypnea
1584819472395.png
https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/premium/blue-hypnea/

Dragons tongue is awesome! It is beautiful, but a little more challenging.
1584819423516.png

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/premium/dragons-breath-macroalgae/

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red titan, (hobby name, I do not know what it is officially) is a beautiful red macro algae that is easy to control. I have a hermit crab and it's not bothered. Also red grape is an easy macro that is attractive and controllable. The red macros do not need as much light so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just looking at the red pom pom on your site, I think I’ll start with that and try dragons tongue if it does well. I haven’t seen red titan for sale but I’ll keep reading up thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back