Easiest or Most Difficult Pet To Keep, Is Reef Keeping the choice for you?

hasbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`ve heard from many people that fish are very soothing animals, but personally I didn`t really like keeping them. I bought an aquarium for my daughter, at first it was interesting, but then I just got tired of cleaning the aquarium, it's a tiring task.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, laughter seemed most appropriate.
Oh no, believe me - I had to laugh too so I wouldn't cry! We have 3 dogs, one of which just refuses to outgrow the chewing stage (he turned 2 in July). The other cost an arm and a leg in emergency vet bills over the years too. They're very lucky they're so loved, lol.

hasbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`ve heard from many people that fish are very soothing animals, but personally I didn`t really like keeping them. I bought an aquarium for my daughter, at first it was interesting, but then I just got tired of cleaning the aquarium, it's a tiring task.
Besides, you can`t interact with fish like with other animals. You can't pet them, make them fetch a ball, and you certainly can't teach them tricks. So I got a puppy, it`s hilarious to play different games with him, he loves 16 inch large rope toy and constantly running around the yard=)

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think the only pet I haven’t had is a cat!

I’m only 24 but I’ve been keeping animals for as ling I can remember and fish since I was about 7-8. I’ve only ever worked in the pet industry so even animals I haven’t personally kept I pretty much cared for everything thats legal here.

I have pretty intense ADHD and reefing syncs with that way to well. Fresh tanks can pretty much be left on autopilot (I know how much work high techs are but the GF jas an army if parrots so I’m not running any gasses in this house). Honestly I can make really nice fresh tanks with pretty minimal effort at this point.

Reefing is not that- I know tanks can be more on autopilot eventually but theres always something. Something wrong, something unexplained, unexpected, new, out of balance etc. I find it challenging but that keeps me engaged. I love all my pets but reefing scratches the ADHD itch more than any thing else! Its little dangerous with ADHD because part of that is having really poor impulse and financial control…. I blew through years of savings when I got the coral bug and honestly currently I don’t have much to show for it.
I’m getting better at finding the balance now, I just placed my first coral order in nearly 8-9 months and have become much more fussy with what I want in my DT.

Reefing definitely hit me the hardest of all my ADHD fads but its also beeb one of the few thats really stuck and the rewards, staring in the tank makes me feel like when I’m freediving, the only time my mind is truly quiet. If you have ADHD thats worth more than gold.

EduardBakers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump into an old thread, but I wanted to say that I've had various pets throughout my life too, and I must admit that reef keeping requires more attention and upkeep compared to many other pets. But despite the challenges, there's something truly special about the beauty and tranquility of a reef aquarium.

EduardBakers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump into an old thread, but I wanted to say that I've had various pets throughout my life too, and I must admit that reef keeping requires more attention and upkeep compared to many other pets. But despite the challenges, there's something truly special about the beauty and tranquility of a reef aquarium.
But, whether it's a reef aquarium or any other pet, there are maintenance tasks and considerations to ensure their well-being and quality of life. However, one advantage we have as pet owners is the support of a team of dedicated veterinary professionals. They provide valuable advice, medical care, and guidance to ensure our pets are happy and healthy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back