Easiest way to cultivate copepods

JoniLeigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found this video and was wondering if anyone has heard of this or thinks it's possible.

How to culturing copepods! The easy way!

(She shows her set up and says she's using old tank water and lights, no lid, no air, no circulation, and getting copepods AND phytoplankton to cultivate. Just seems TOO easy...)

Thoughts?

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks easy. Doesn't hurt to try in a small quart sized bucket.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an interesting way to do it. Never even thought that chaeto breaking down would be sufficient to culture pods. Also, no use of an air stone in those larger bins with the closed lids is not something I would’ve thought that could be pulled off. Interesting...

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda wondered how Algae Barn was able to wholesale it to stores like Marine Depot without the pods dying in the container. Maybe there's truth in the process.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found this video and was wondering if anyone has heard of this or thinks it's possible.

How to culturing copepods! The easy way!

(She shows her set up and says she's using old tank water and lights, no lid, no air, no circulation, and getting copepods AND phytoplankton to cultivate. Just seems TOO easy...)

Thoughts?
I'm getting ready for rotifers, my DIY filter for them

received_593551828083494.jpeg received_428353101373671.jpeg received_498654310781253.jpeg

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i just did a water change yesterday and im sure it has some cyano in it i think i may use my wifes glass 5 gallon container and test this theory by leaving my tank water out side in the glass container

OP
OP
JoniLeigh

JoniLeigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i just did a water change yesterday and im sure it has some cyano in it i think i may use my wifes glass 5 gallon container and test this theory by leaving my tank water out side in the glass container

Let me know how it goes! I'm doing a test as well. I've never dosed phyto in my tank so I think it may take a while for the water to turn green. I had some tigger pods that I added to the water (spare 10 gal tank) and there seems to be lots in there still. I've had some green spots on the glass that I scraped off so hopefully that's a good sign. I usually scrape the glass or stir the water up a little every day or so, but I don't have any pumps running in it. Just a grow light on 24/7. Also it's in my basement so it's on the cooler side, probably in the 60's.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to culture pods but not having luck. I started with algae barn 5280 in 5 gallon buckets with around a gallon or so of fresh mix saltwater and an airline. I tinted the water so it's green, barely see bottom of bucket, with live phyto. I'm not seeing any real pod activity after a week. One bucket I did spot 2 pods.

OP
OP
JoniLeigh

JoniLeigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple different containers set up that I've been testing now. The 10 gal tank has tons of little pods in it! Water still isn't green but I've been putting some of the gunk from my skimmer in it lol They obviously have enough to eat since they've been multiplying so much. I also have a five gal bucket with a light over top of it. I thought it wasn't working because at one point I only saw 2 or 3 pods. Looked last night and realized they were just more of a clear/white color and there's lots in there too! I started off with tigger pods and some pods from aquarium depot I think. I also have a pitcher and 2 gal jugs just so I'd have a variety of tests going.

OP
OP
JoniLeigh

JoniLeigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics? What are you using for circulation/air?

So.... I actually don't have anything for circulation or air! I had a 10 gal I had been cycling but had to unplug, so it was just sitting in the basement for a few weeks. It has some liverock in it, but that's it. I decided to throw some pods in it to test this lady's theory and it seems to be working! I still haven't taken any pictures for some reason, but I'll try to remember to get some and upload them.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back