Eat/kill majano

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the end of my rope with these things!!! I have an aptasia filefish who won’t touch them. I have been trying to zap them with my majano wand and making little to no progress. I am getting so many that I am considering nuking my whole tank and starting over. I have tried everything that I have researched so I am looking for some outside the box ideas.

TIA

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve might know about killing vs keeping alive.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the end of my rope with these things!!! I have an aptasia filefish who won’t touch them. I have been trying to zap them with my majano wand and making little to no progress. I am getting so many that I am considering nuking my whole tank and starting over. I have tried everything that I have researched so I am looking for some outside the box ideas.

TIA
Can we get a pic to make sure they are majano? Also, are all of the accessible? If so, a nem cannon is a good way to remove and trash. Majano only need a little bit of tissue left to regrow. Also, any tissue floating stands a good chance to become a new one. Using a nem cannon will allow you to peel off of it outside the tank and scrub with a little h2o2 in between uses preventing that.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I keep a majano tank and if I take the rock out for a little while, they start to move/release pretty quick, not like aiptasia that just suck into holes and never let go lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I keep a majano tank and if I take the rock out for a little while, they start to move/release pretty quick, not like aiptasia that just suck into holes and never let go lol
Good catch forgot about tank size lol. If small tank, rock out of water and upside down for 10-15 minutes will get quite a few. Just got to take corals off of rocks before hand (acros can usually take this without issue, but will slime for a while after back in the water.)

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 150g with attached 30g frag tank. Total volume is about 200g. 150-200 pounds of rock with a ton of corals.
With the amount of anemones a men cannon would not work I don’t think, you tubed it. There are probably a couple hundred now.
4C06D16D-AC50-412E-9651-36887E4419EC.jpeg

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? When did you notice the first one? About how many do you have now?
Been a while now. My first filefish kept them at bay in the display. It ate aptasia, majano, zoa, and play’s like they were going out of style. This one I have now has not developed a taste for them only aptasia. The filefish is only about a year old so I still got hope. Was literally the size of a dime when I got it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 150g with attached 30g frag tank. Total volume is about 200g. 150-200 pounds of rock with a ton of corals.
With the amount of anemones a men cannon would not work I don’t think, you tubed it. There are probably a couple hundred now.
Even though they are a terrible pest there is a certain beauty to them also in a reef. Hope you find a solution.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YouTube is not accurate, as it was based on my design originally used to collect anemones in FL and done poorly in terms of listing out how it actually works and the sizes of pipes. The full description is a sticky in the nem/clownfish section of this forum

Small sponge, 3/8” pex about 2-3” long. You can make multiple ones. While it will take time, majano really like light and flow. This means they move up the pipe quickly. Just have to be sure to angle pipe away from light.

While not ideal, you could use it to remove some and then do almost boiling vinegar or room temp kalk slurry injected into others.

Outside of that, if you have a frag tank that will hold all corals from a few rocks, you can remove rocks and get them off via letting them detach.

nessjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck using a syringe and lime juice and injecting them with the same lime juice you get in those little squeezable lime size bottles at the local grocery store. Inject right in the mouth or where you think the mouth is. They wither away.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While certainly not for any tank with SPS, my recently-introduced spotband butterflyfish (Chaetodon punctatofasciatus) has wiped out my extensive majano gardens. I've got a few left, but most of the polyps are withdrawn and/or nibbled at this point.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a smaller raccoon butterfly local a few weeks ago. The other tankmates were not so kind to him for the first couple weeks. It has now been venturing out of its hiding spot some. I can not say for certain but I think there are a few less on the one side of the tank

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a smaller raccoon butterfly local a few weeks ago. The other tankmates were not so kind to him for the first couple weeks. It has now been venturing out of its hiding spot some. I can not say for certain but I think there are a few less on the one side of the tank
I was going to say... I have a Raccoon that just obliterated my aptasia in a week. lol.. but no, not for everyone

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say... I have a Raccoon that just obliterated my aptasia in a week. lol.. but no, not for everyone
I know I am taking a risk with a raccoon but will be worth it. I don’t have acan’s or anything similar so that helped my decision.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back