ebay RODI is it worth it

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the exact one on ebay a year ago. I don't have any problem with it. My TDS reads 0. Ph is 6.9 to 7.0. I like it very much.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get what you pay for with RO/DI systems.
The one you linked to is low end at best. Good RO/DI systems use full size 10" vertical refillable 20 oz DI cartridges and canisters not small hollow horizontals. They also use 1 micron or les prefilters and carbon blocks. Other things you want to look for are inline pressure gauges, TDS meters, bypass valves etc.

Two very good examples are found here, one at $149 complete with a 1 micron prefilter, a 1 micron carbon block, a batch tested 90 GPD RO membrane and a DI resin designed specifically for reef keeping.
The other is the undisputed Cadillac of the industry at $249 and includes two dual TDS meters and dual DI and best of all a individually hand tested and guaranteed better than 98% rejection rate RO membrane unlike any other.
SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

Another good example is the 75 GPD premium found here for $169 complete.
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=168&Sub=166

Note both vendors use a single high quality carbon block which does a better job of protecting the expensive RO membrane. They also list the micron sizes of all filters so no secrets, no surprises. Also both use full size vertical DI filters, not the cheap horizontals.

I hate to see people go the ebay route with RO/DI, most end up spending much more to make them operational in the long run. Spend a bit more up front and it will save you from then on.

J_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the filter guys. I made it into a seven stage with a dual Di output stage. i really like it

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fall into the "Stages" trap. More is not necessarily better. Better cartridges in the "stages" is what it is all about. E bay vendors came up with the stages game to promote their products, it makes them sound impressive until you look at what the stages contain. Things like granular activated carbon, very high or un rated micron size prefilters and carbon blocks, cloned unnamed membranes or 100GPD Dow Filmtecs not even intended for drinking water use or quality, small 6 or 9 oz horizontal chambers called DI filters, post RO taste and odor carbon filters etc.
Pay attention to what each stage contains and you are much better off. A very very good RO only needs 3 stages, RO/DI only 4. If you want to improve a system add a second full size 20 oz, 10" vertical DI like J_G did and you have 5 stages but they would all be beneficial not just a wide spot in the pipe as some are.

Rarely if ever do you need multiple carbons, you should never need multiple prefilters, a single vertical DI is many times more effective than multiple horizontals etc. Buy quality and use quality replacements and you should have a water quality tool that will last years and years with minimal maintenance on your part.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now thats getting better. Note the 1 micron prefilter, 1 micron carbon block, the 75 GPD Dow Filmtec RO membrane and the full size vertical refillable DI. I hope you don't have to change the membrane annually though and its really just the DI cartridge or resin?

At $129 that one would normally be a good deal but compare it to this one at $149 on sale which includes the inline pressure gauge, dual inline TDS meter, batch tested and treated RO membrane and custom blended DI resins and while its still good its not quite the value. If the Pro Plus was the regular $249 then it becomes a better deal at $129 as you can add some if not all the other things and still be a few $$ ahead.

SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now thats getting better. Note the 1 micron prefilter, 1 micron carbon block, the 75 GPD Dow Filmtec RO membrane and the full size vertical refillable DI. I hope you don't have to change the membrane annually though and its really just the DI cartridge or resin?

Not the membrane just the DI and Resin

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I figured. make sure to keep up with the prefilter and carbon changes too, use high quality replacements and disinfect the system while you have it down. If not you run the risk of damaging the membrane.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back