ECC Nexus Burst Grafted Anemone available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our first ECC Nexus Burst Anemone available. This is a grafted Bubble Tip Anemone. These nems are the first grafted anemones we have ever seen so we had to have one.
we purchased a nice 50/50 colored one from wholesaler Eye Catching Corals in Vienna, Ohio in late Summer of 2020.
here’s a couple photos of our mother
DA3C1223-0524-42BD-86D0-FEDBFDD1F444.png

4619EDFB-E46E-4763-AE76-A14256EE4947.png

And here is our first offspring available.
BEDA97FC-1998-4C52-BC36-B9B94F157A26.jpeg

https://shop.areefcreation.com/collections/wysiwyg/products/ecc-nexus-burst-bta

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Graft" seems like it would imply that it was done intentionally. I'd call this a chimera.

No, seriously. The term for an organism that has parts containing two separate sets of DNA, like this, is "chimera". Like the mythological creature. For some particularly cool animals, look up "gynandromorph bird" or "gynandromorph butterfly". That's the term for a chimera where the different components are different sexes. Animals with strong sexual dimorphism, like some birds and butterflies (think cardinals), make spectacular gynandromorphs.

Cool that this is a kind of anemone that splits. I've seen chimera RFAs, but those don't split, so aren't likely to have chimera offspring.

OP
OP
A Reef Creation

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Graft" seems like it would imply that it was done intentionally. I'd call this a chimera.

No, seriously. The term for an organism that has parts containing two separate sets of DNA, like this, is "chimera". Like the mythological creature. For some particularly cool animals, look up "gynandromorph bird" or "gynandromorph butterfly". That's the term for a chimera where the different components are different sexes. Animals with strong sexual dimorphism, like some birds and butterflies (think cardinals), make spectacular gynandromorphs.

Cool that this is a kind of anemone that splits. I've seen chimera RFAs, but those don't split, so aren't likely to have chimera offspring.

I think you are correct in that the NEXUS is more likely a Chimera than a true Graft. Jim of Eye Catching Coral never referred to this anemone as a graft and neither did Jake Adams in the article posted in this thread above. I added it here to help show the uniqueness of this anemone but maybe the term was too loosely used.
My apologies for that.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought I read that the nexus burst was natural. And the splits sometimes are all green or all color or both
If you read the Reef Builders article, the actual Nexus Burst are natural, NOT grafted. I am very confused by this seller.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is really interesting in this specimen is that the color transition from green to orange is razor sharp like a perfect cut or a perfect straight line. With most marine organisms (coral, fish, clams, ...) the color change is more gradient and the transition is rather smooth. But that is not the case with this nem.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious about the source of this anemone in the wild (which ocean, region..etc). Whenever i try to do a google search on this anemone morph it just takes me to the sellers of this variety! I mean some marine bioligist must have came across or documented this color variety in the wild, right?
Anyone knows where they came from? I read a supplier somewhere in Florida had a few and then people/wholesalers started buying and voila they are starting to spread.
What is really strange is the fluorescent protein in the foot, i am not a nem export (as i only kept black widows successfully) but i read and saw a lot of other nems, and non of them have that florescent foot! The webbing and the speckles on the tentacles look like a bubble tip black widow/Sherman. But the color transition in the tentacles still have me going in circles and i keep searching :)
Will keep you guys posted if i find anything.

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a chimera thread for clams, anemones and lobsters. Who knows what other chimeras are out there!!!

Back