Echo Dot Routines, Dreaming Big for Organization, and a Pi Question (Noob DIY-er)

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. I am late to the game with some automation. I could never really afford a nice controller, and when my 5 year old reef tank sprung a leak, I went from a 40 (36 bow plus 5 gallon sump) to a 20-long with the survivors.

I am realizing that the smaller volume makes things trickier and precision and discipline (not always my strong suit) is going to be critical for the success of this tank.

So, I also had to move the tank since I didn't have a stand, and the wife wanted it out of the living room. It now occupies an old computer table I saved from school. It is pictured below. The frame is aluminum and the entire top is framed. You may not be able to see, but there is a back panel of aluminum for cross bracing. I have my light controllers velcroed to this with Command Strips. I try to keep it neat, but this is the usual state. The orange tackle box and the black box under the light switch are for miniature painting (another hobby). My lights and heater are on one surge protector, and the pumps, HOB filter (with skimmer-noisy, but small and works), and dual filter box that I use for carbon, Phos-guard, Purigen, etc.

IMG_20181209_110549.jpg

Anyway, we jumped into Alexa world as an early Christmas present for ourselves when they went on sale and I have one in my office. I also bought a smart plug to try with it. After some tinkering, I have two cool things that really save my knees if I have to crawl under the table to turn the surge protector off with the switch.

1) I can say, "Alexa, turn off the aquarium pumps" and it shuts down the surge protector. That alone was cool and worth the $15 plug.
2) This morning, I set up a routine where I can say, "Alexa, it's time to feed the fish" and
  • The pumps go off
  • A 5 minute wait for spot feeding corals and letting things drift
  • The pumps come back on.
I wanted to share, even though this isn't revolutionary, and Echo has been around, I know someone else has done this.

The Future For This Space
This is my aquarium spot for a while. Some medical bills for both my wife and daughter mean not a lot of extra for the hobby. Still, I want to make the best of it. I am quickly learning that keeping a 20 gallon fine tuned for corals is harder than a 40 due to smaller volume. Here are some things I am working on and what I want to do.
  • I have my first dosing pump tomorrow. I caught a flash sale on a Jubao DP-4. I know this is a cheap pump, but from what I have read, it's shortcomings are in its accuracy, not its consistency, and if it is hard to calibrate, I can at least adjust. I plan on several days of testing outside my tank before putting it on. I have also been drinking a few bottles of Voss water for some DIY dosing bottles.
  • I also have Aquahub's Top-it-Off kit coming. This will be my first electrical DIY other then rewiring the occasional lamp my wife finds in a thrift store.
  • I need to get my surge protector's off the floor. I know right now this isn't safe. It was an emergency situation. For organization, I am wondering about a small TV stand that would fit underneat this table. I could put electrical on the top shelf for drip loops, and having dosing bottles and ATO on the bottom. Any ideas here for cabinetry, etc., would be appreciated.
  • Finally, do you use your Echo for anything besides switching on and off pumps? I know there are some Apex routines, but that is out of my budget. I also have an old C.H.I.P. computer I got as a promotional thing before they went under (I'm a high school science/tech teacher). It seems similar to a Raspberry Pi. I could also get one pretty economically. I have a buddy who has several.
Thanks for reading that. I know I can be scatterbrained, long-winded, and ADD (legit diagnosed). I also know those three things are something I have to be aware of if I want a good 20-long sumpless tank to work. I am just wanting things to not look so janky, be economical, and also be safe.

Thanks for reading all this.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool, right!?

There's quite a bit you can do now that you can setup routines with Alexa. Just having simple on/off outlets like that make a huge impact. There are a few other Alexa skills available for some of our components too:

Reef Angel has had the ability to control all ports on it and get readings for about a year.
Apex has the same (I think) as of somewhat recently.
Ecotech allows you to stop/start feed mode and turn lights on and off

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool, right!?

There's quite a bit you can do now that you can setup routines with Alexa. Just having simple on/off outlets like that make a huge impact. There are a few other Alexa skills available for some of our components too:

Reef Angel has had the ability to control all ports on it and get readings for about a year.
Apex has the same (I think) as of somewhat recently.
Ecotech allows you to stop/start feed mode and turn lights on and off

Thanks! Unfortunately, while those are great prices, I simply can't pony up for a controller of any type right now. Dealing with a lot of medical bills for two family members and just have to prioritize. I am hopeful in the future I can, because I love techy stuff. One of the reasons I want to learn some Pi coding is to see if I can come up with some monitoring things a little more economically.

I really appreciate your input.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Unfortunately, while those are great prices, I simply can't pony up for a controller of any type right now. Dealing with a lot of medical bills for two family members and just have to prioritize. I am hopeful in the future I can, because I love techy stuff. One of the reasons I want to learn some Pi coding is to see if I can come up with some monitoring things a little more economically.

I really appreciate your input.
Get yourself started with studying up on the reef-pi. PI's that will run that can be had for well under $50 and you can slowly add modules and things as your budget allows.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We share the same excitement :)
Let us know if you need help, be specific so that we can provide specific answers. Whether you build your own, or use any existing project , there’s a bunch of us here in reef2reef family who would be happy to listen and answer whenever we can :)
Happy holidays and Godspeed

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know I will have a lot of questions once I get started. I tend to overthink things and not trust myself. First is calibrating the dosing pumps and building the ATO kit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back