Which one to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like budget is not a concern but the quality of the light your looking for as well as performance. I think a LED/T5 combo will give you the best of both worlds for quality of light and pop of the corals. It will also allow you to tinker less on the programming which is fun, but can potentially kill corals. Sps and Lps seem to tolerate acute changes in duration better than acute changes in intensity and spectrum.

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided on the kessils obviously and WOW is all I have to say. This is one kessil on my 180 gallon and I am impressed after I add the second one this tank will have no shadow spots. Thanks again @GoVols

IMG_0668.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bml1024
It looks great and all you'll need is two to getter done.

Your Welcome. I do know Kessil and you made the the right choice.

I am watching the GHL Mitra 7's and maybe I'll go with them sometime down the road but I could never give a green light to a fellow reefer on a product that I've never used.

I'm glad your happy and (lol) the spread from the one AP700 speaks for itself. :D

Kessil also makes diffusers for the AP700 if you ever feel the need.
http://kessil.com/aquarium/Accessories_opticalKit.php

Thanks for the update and the picture showing the spread.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never used either......
That being said, it appears that the spread and spectrum is better on the Echotech radions gen 4's. I would go with that if I had those 2 to choose from. You see allot of Hydra's being traded in to get Echotech radions gen 4 or something else. Just my 2cents.

Google some aquariums with the Echotech radions gen 4's. I have seen some amazing ones.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never used either......
That being said, it appears that the spread and spectrum is better on the Echotech radions gen 4's. I would go with that if I had those 2 to choose from. You see allot of Hydra's being traded in to get Echotech radions gen 4 or something else. Just my 2cents.

Google some aquariums with the Echotech radions gen 4's. I have seen some amazing ones.
I have used the the new Hydra HD's and the led spread was way too tight and they have WIFI issues out the ying yang. Not as bad on your smart phone but their WIFI is terrible. I could not get the correct spread from them so I sold then ASAP and took a $200 dollar loss.

I must agree with you. If it comes between the AI's and the G4's then I'll take the G4's. Better spread and you can change the lenses for a wider spread and their wifi is way more dependable than the Hydra's.

Each tank is different per shape and he made a great choice with two Kessil AP700's to cover his 72" long reef to get the correct spread with the Kessil (MH) shimmer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bml1024
If you don't me asking...
Are you cycling now and do you like the Kessil AP700 shimmer?

I watched the video and you make a great point from that video. I could see no difference with it shooting threw the braces.

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols
Yes I am currently cycling the tank, but the rock I added came from a tank that was well established and I have many plays on the rock probably a few hundred! It's awesome.

In regards to the ap700 shimmer, I love it! It gives you the real experience as if you were scuba diving in a reef and makes it look as natural as possible. Here's a picture of the plays I have on one of the rocks and they are already starting to open up.

Question for you though, after almost a week and a half running the tank I have tested everyday almost and have seen no spike, ammonia is between .25-.50ppm (closer to .25), nitrites are 0 (haven't changed) and nitrates are between .20-.40ppm. What's going on why no nitrites? Should I do a water change? I just added 8 green chromis and 2 yellow tail damsels yesterday and they are doing fine and love the room they have but curious as to what's going on with my parameters? Thanks

IMG_0671.JPG

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols
Yes I am currently cycling the tank, but the rock I added came from a tank that was well established and I have many plays on the rock probably a few hundred! It's awesome.

In regards to the ap700 shimmer, I love it! It gives you the real experience as if you were scuba diving in a reef and makes it look as natural as possible. Here's a picture of the plays I have on one of the rocks and they are already starting to open up.

Question for you though, after almost a week and a half running the tank I have tested everyday almost and have seen no spike, ammonia is between .25-.50ppm (closer to .25), nitrites are 0 (haven't changed) and nitrates are between .20-.40ppm. What's going on why no nitrites? Should I do a water change? I just added 8 green chromis and 2 yellow tail damsels yesterday and they are doing fine and love the room they have but curious as to what's going on with my parameters? Thanks

IMG_0671.JPG
I don't know the answer to your question
I don't now how your showing ammonia, then no nitrites, then showing nitrates. If you had zero ammonia with the zero nitrites then you would be cycled.

My best advise is to post your #'s on Randy Holmes-Farley's chemistry forum and we'll all learn something. He answers questions at least twice a day.

If you post over there then give full details, like your rock came from a well established tank and already has plays on it.

I could give you a lot of possibilities, but you want a correct explanation not a hunch.

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I will have to give that a try. Thanks a lot. I went to the local fish store and all they could say with all the information I gave them is that my tank isn't cycled yet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back