Eclipse a internal overflow box making a lot of noise

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the overflow box a couple days ago and I started to notice that it was being incredibly noisy. The noise is coming from the water going in to the external box.
Anyone got any ideas on how to quiet it?

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure exactly how yours is set up, but maybe raise the water level in the external box by adding a short drainpipe to the bulkhead ?

A picture of how yours is currently set up, would help others as well.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure exactly how yours is set up, but maybe raise the water level in the external box by adding a short drainpipe to the bulkhead ?

A picture of how yours is currently set up, would help others as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 25

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the noise you are hearing is coming from the water going into the external side ?
When I had my 75g setup, it had an overflow similar to yours, and most of the noise came from the water flowing down the drain pipe.
I'm not 100% that it would fit into yours, but look into a durso style drain, or one that has an upside down U placed on top of the drain pipe.
Another idea, although not 'much' quieter would be to add a short section of PVC to the drain, and put a sponge-type filter to it. Down side of that would be more constant cleaning of the sponge...
I'm sure others will chime in to help also.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the noise you are hearing is coming from the water going into the external side ?
When I had my 75g setup, it had an overflow similar to yours, and most of the noise came from the water flowing down the drain pipe.
I'm not 100% that it would fit into yours, but look into a durso style drain, or one that has an upside down U placed on top of the drain pipe.
Another idea, although not 'much' quieter would be to add a short section of PVC to the drain, and put a sponge-type filter to it. Down side of that would be more constant cleaning of the sponge...
I'm sure others will chime in to help also.
I think you might be right with what’s causing the noise. I did think about just putting a sponge in the hole but like you said I’m not sure how many times I’d have to clean it out. I might check out that durso style. Thanks

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drain should have a valve added so you can slowly close it till water flows into the red pipe. Search "herbie drain" for detail specs. On the medium box, I had to use a slightly longer pvc than the stock red to lessen the splashing of water from the internal to external box.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drain should have a valve added so you can slowly close it till water flows into the red pipe. Search "herbie drain" for detail specs. On the medium box, I had to use a slightly longer pvc than the stock red to lessen the splashing of water from the internal to external box.
Is there any possible way to not use a gate valve?

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will get the noise to stop otherwise. Maybe someone else may have an idea or pointers.
Yeah I’m just gonna add a ball valve and adjust. I honestly didn’t know anything about herbie overflow until now. Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back