Ecotech Marine Mobius and Versa Pump vs. Neptune Apex and DOS

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Neptune Apex also a EM Reeflink (going to sell) and debating on dosing pumps considering the EM versa just got released along with the Mobius control app. Wanted to know what people's thoughts were about the following setup:

Currently planned setup:
Neptune Apex
WXM to control EM lights and MP40s
DOS system

or

Neptune Apex and let Mobius control lights and MP40s along with Versa Pump

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you only going to get 1 versa, or a couple? even if you go with a couple, I think the versa route is the way to go as its can be used as a peri pump, and just not a dosing pump. I have the DOS and loved it, but currently its offline as I went with a CalRX, and bought a Kamoer Peri pump for it. I will be using the DOS soon to dose amino to the tank.

I currently control my Radions, and my vectra pumps using a reeflink, and ESL. And although I dislike ESL, I personally will not add them to my Apex via the WXM module.

Some like total control under one platform, but I don't mind using different platforms to control my stuff.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a wxm and only control my mp10s with it. I never hooked it up to my radion. I plan on using mobius for the radion eventually. If i was going to run a calcium reactor id grab a versa in a heartbeat! I would consider them for 2 part as well but with my DOS i can monitor my usage from with my apex. Thats just too valuable to pass up in my honest opinion. I was also thinking of using the versa pump as an ato pump... i would imagine it would be dead silent in that application.

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Neptune Apex also a EM Reeflink (going to sell) and debating on dosing pumps considering the EM versa just got released along with the Mobius control app. Wanted to know what people's thoughts were about the following setup:

Currently planned setup:
Neptune Apex
DOS system

or

I just got an email from EM about the new updated pumps but could t find any reviews yet. I’m thinking about getting one to put in the basement and using for ATO if I can and maybe another for KALK

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using DOS since they were released and don’t hesitate to recommend them. You can get new tubing to redo the heads instead of replacing them, though I don’t know how many tubes I’ll replace before something hard breaks.

The Versa looks very promising. I’d like to get one for my calcium reactor once funds allow, but my DOS has been going that duty for a while now without issue. I’m really just curious to play with a shiny new toy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you only going to get 1 versa, or a couple? even if you go with a couple, I think the versa route is the way to go as its can be used as a peri pump, and just not a dosing pump. I have the DOS and loved it, but currently its offline as I went with a CalRX, and bought a Kamoer Peri pump for it. I will be using the DOS soon to dose amino to the tank.

I currently control my Radions, and my vectra pumps using a reeflink, and ESL. And although I dislike ESL, I personally will not add them to my Apex via the WXM module.

Some like total control under one platform, but I don't mind using different platforms to control my stuff.

You’re confusing your terms. Versa and DoS are both peristaltic pumps. Former is apparently rated for continuous use while the latter is not.

tankone_511

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently planned setup:
Neptune Apex
DOS system

or

I have the similar question...Loving the new EM Versa dosing pumps and was in the process of buying the DOS

Current setup:
WMX controlling EM lights and MP40s, MP10

or
Mobius for Lights, MPx's and versa dosing
Stick with all Neptune?

Advise?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Versa is brand new, so I would probably wait. Eco tech is a reputable company, but then Vertex was a reputable company when they released the Cerebra...

there’s a lot of buzz around the versa pumps right now and they do seem nice, but first ask yourself what you want and what you need. Are there any features unique to the Versa pumps that you need? You already have an Apex- would the basic BRS dosing pumps meet your needs? How about the DOS pumps?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility of the versa seems limited, at least at first. I have bought one to see if it can be an acceptable replacement for the clunky MasterFlex on my CaRx. As a apex owner, DOS is better for dosing of alk/calcium and likely preferred as AWC. GHL doser 2 works fine for trace, so no reason to yet replace that.

Cblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a neptune apex i might lean toward the dos. I have a neptune apex and picked up a dos for daily water changes but i also just ordered a versa to feed a calcium reactor. The convenience of the neptune apex and dos is great.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a neptune apex i might lean toward the dos. I have a neptune apex and picked up a dos for daily water changes but i also just ordered a versa to feed a calcium reactor. The convenience of the neptune apex and dos is great.

Have you hooked it up for daily water changes. It is loud. Other then that, it work great. I can hear it from 2 rooms away.

Cblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have had it doing water changes for a couple weeks now. I have it mounted in a room behind the tank which helps dampen some noise. Also spread out the water changes throughout the day, the slower it runs the quieter it is. But when running full speed it is loud

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also considering the Versa pump or the DOS for my new build. I’m just going to be dosing two part for now. I have the apex and dOS all ready on my old tank and really like it. on one I thought with the Versa if I ever wanted to use it on a build without an apex it would work. Also like others have said for a future Cal reactor and likely is quieter. Pros for the DOS are you can have programming to cut it off Incase your ph jumps from an overdose, suppose you could do this with the Versa as well but will take up an outlet. With the DOS if you get a trident you can have it control the dosing. They are about the same price and it’s a really hard decision, I’m so undecided lol.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also considering the Versa pump or the DOS for my new build. I’m just going to be dosing two part for now. I have the apex and dOS all ready on my old tank and really like it. on one I thought with the Versa if I ever wanted to use it on a build without an apex it would work. Also like others have said for a future Cal reactor and likely is quieter. Pros for the DOS are you can have programming to cut it off Incase your ph jumps from an overdose, suppose you could do this with the Versa as well but will take up an outlet. With the DOS if you get a trident you can have it control the dosing. They are about the same price and it’s a really hard decision, I’m so undecided lol.

I would go VERSA for automatic water changes as it looks to be very quiet in comparison and DOS for reasons you mentioned. I have yet to hook up my Trident. FYI, with the powerblock you can hook up 4 VERSA with only one outlet. Also with the new apex you can hook up 2x DOS with 2 one links and a Trident with the third one link connection.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, precipitate the responses and folks opinions on this matter. Seems like the EM Reeflink will be as valuable as a paper weight. Probably will pickup the WXM for now and then monitor how Mobius will work in the coming months.

At this point, i wanted to install the tubing in my system raceway (since its behind my manifold plumbing) but the EM Versa and the DOS using different tubing sizes. Could always punt this decision to later on when the reviews come out.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, precipitate the responses and folks opinions on this matter. Seems like the EM Reeflink will be as valuable as a paper weight. Probably will pickup the WXM for now and then monitor how Mobius will work in the coming months.

At this point, i wanted to install the tubing in my system raceway (since its behind my manifold plumbing) but the EM Versa and the DOS using different tubing sizes. Could always punt this decision to later on when the reviews come out.
If using a DOS, definitely do this mod to it. Then the tubing would be the same 1/4 ro line for either one. All you need is some teflon tape and your good to go...

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a DOS, definitely do this mod to it. Then the tubing would be the same 1/4 ro line for either one. All you need is some teflon tape and your good to go...
Thanks for the suggestion, this would resolve my immediate concern and i'll wait for the results to come in on both products.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back